Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Will the Coaches have the Steelers ready for the season opener..

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    You've hit the nail on the head with your post. If the Steelers lose to the Browns this all falls upon Tomlin. I'd have to say, the only team the Steelers could beat in an opener since Tomlin is so inept on having his team focused at the start of the season, are the Browns. They would lose to the Rams or any subpar team under Tomlin... They could lose to the 76 Buccaneers under Tomlin in an opener.
    Then how good of a coach is he?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    You've hit the nail on the head with your post. If the Steelers lose to the Browns this all falls upon Tomlin. I'd have to say, the only team the Steelers could beat in an opener since Tomlin is so inept on having his team focused at the start of the season, are the Browns. They would lose to the Rams or any subpar team under Tomlin... They could lose to the 76 Buccaneers under Tomlin in an opener.

Yep--the rest of the league thinks so little of his abilities they have him ranked in the bottom third...oh wait that is Top 6 in the league. But what do those guys know. Coordinators have much more to do with prep and game planning so lets cast a few of those adrift first. Especially if a team with no QB and no WRs devours our defense. Let's start there.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Miles Austin and nate Bulerson can be given a ton of cushion and still come up short.

Shazier on Cameron is something im looking forward to
    They released bulerson
    Last edited by Mr.wizard; 08-31-2014 at 09:56 AM.

it all falls on the head coach .

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Then how good of a coach is he?

he's a mediocre coach on the most stable team in the nfl. the owner has surrounded him with superior coaching talent. a figurehead with little input on hirings and firings. speaks well and the players like him and play hard for him.
    a guy that wont win you any games but wont lose you many either.
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

Hall of Famer
    I think some of you are missing the boat, at least on defense.

There are a lot of young players out there now. They are still learning NFL game speed. They look hestitant. They are often out of position. Yes. It's on the head coach, but how many wanted to give J Jones a full year to get comfortable before labeling him a bust?

Yes. Tomlin's teams are notoriously slow starters, but I would label only one year where the team never seemed to improve as the season progressed.

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    he's a mediocre coach on the most stable team in the nfl. the owner has surrounded him with superior coaching talent. a figurehead with little input on hirings and firings. speaks well and the players like him and play hard for him.
    a guy that wont win you any games but wont lose you many either.
    Sadly, gotta agree. He's no Belichik.
    But he talks a good talk. Unfortunately, every time he's issued a challenge (e.g. unleash hell), he's come up short. So in future he must remember to continue the good talk, but keep the silly challenges to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I think some of you are missing the boat, at least on defense.

There are a lot of young players out there now. They are still learning NFL game speed. They look hestitant. They are often out of position. Yes. It's on the head coach, but how many wanted to give J Jones a full year to get comfortable before labeling him a bust?

Yes. Tomlin's teams are notoriously slow starters, but I would label only one year where the team never seemed to improve as the season progressed.
    They look unprepared. After 8 years in the league, he still appears lost when it comes to preparation. Actually they've gotten worse with time -- the team was considerably better prepared for each Sunday 2007-2010, then just seemed to roll off an ever increasing gradient.

We've seen some of the most dispirited inane play in the past couple of years, and its no longer safe to identify positive trends (as in "never lost an opener against the Browns on a Thursday" -- you can get as specific as you want) -- the guy manages to break them immediately.

The excuse of "its on the players" gets old pretty quickly. Its on the players in every team, but somehow our coaching staff doesn't seem to have what it takes to get its players into game mode on a consistent basis.

If the Steelers lose to the Browns one good thing will come from it. I'll tape a picture of Tomlin on my vacuum so it can suck again.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    Sadly, gotta agree. He's no Belichik.
    But he talks a good talk. Unfortunately, every time he's issued a challenge (e.g. unleash hell), he's come up short. So in future he must remember to continue the good talk, but keep the silly challenges to himself.
    Every time? Really?
    How many times has he done that? You act like it's a daily thing
    He's been to more superbowls than he has done that. I can live with a dumb qoute years ago.