Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers work out former U.S. Army Ranger

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers work out former U.S. Army Ranger

The Steelers worked out defensive end Alejandro Villanueva on Wednesday, per ESPN.com’s Field Yates.

The Steelers routinely work out players at team headquarters throughout the year but Villanueva is not just anyone who is pursuing a dream of playing in the NFL.

Villanueva is a former U.S. Army Ranger, and he completed three tours in Afghanistan, earning a Bronze Star Medal for bravery. His service -- and here is more on that in a terrific piece written in May by ESPN.com NFL columnist Ashley Fox -- is not all that stands out about Villanueva.

He is 6-9, 277 pounds and Villanueva had been with the Philadelphia Eagles before getting released earlier this week.

Villanueva, 25, played at Army and then fulfilled his military commitment after graduating from West Point. He signed with the Eagles in May after catching the organization’s attendance at a regional combine, and Villanueva had been trying to make the team as a defensive end.

Villanueva has not played football since 2009 but his size and athleticism make him an intriguing prospect. He played multiple positions at Army and his senior year Villanueva moved to wide receiver and led the team with 34 receptions for 522 yards and five touchdowns.

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/8611/steelers-work-out-former-u-s-army-ranger?ex_cid=espnapi_public[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not a bad choice, sign him!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why did Philly let him go?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This guy has ZERO chance of making the team. I bet they are only doing it for PR reasons to begin with (i.e. "Steelers are such a great team; they are giving the guy who served 3 tours a chance to make the team! Super great guys! Yea, team America.")

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    This guy has ZERO chance of making the team. I bet they are only doing it for PR reasons to begin with (i.e. "Steelers are such a great team; they are giving the guy who served 3 tours a chance to make the team! Super great guys! Yea, team America.")
    What's the harm?

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Trolling again?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Trolling still...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Offtopic but -- I'd think a 6'9 270lb guy makes too big a target to be out on the front facing bullets. He's lucky to be back alive. Major respects to the man.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    Offtopic but -- I'd think a 6'9 270lb guy makes too big a target to be out on the front facing bullets. He's lucky to be back alive. Major respects to the man.
    he's probably learned how to stay low, maybe he can work with McCullers...

Legend

User Info Menu

How about at TE?
    Trolls are people too.