Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Can somebody explain this to me? (mike Mitchell)

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Yes, let's have Shamarko play FS. That's brilliant. A guy that isn't much bigger than Ray Rice. I like Thomas a lot but he is not a FS. He's a SS. If anything, I would use him on subpackages as another CB.
    I bet he can do better than Mitchell. At least he can tackle.

  2. #12
    I'm actually willing to give Mitchell some time. Why? Because Carolina fans loved the guy...and hated to see him go. He has limited time to gel with other players, to learn this D, etc. I don't like how he has played thus far but I think he will be a good one for us.

  3. #13
    But why not make Mitchell earn the position? Why just hand it to him?


    Originally Posted by steelz09
    Yes, let's have Shamarko play FS. That's brilliant. A guy that isn't much bigger than Ray Rice. I like Thomas a lot but he is not a FS. He's a SS. If anything, I would use him on subpackages as another CB.


    I agree that Shamarko's best position would be SS...Troy currently has that one nailed down. But if Shamarko can't play FS at all, then why do the Steelers have him listed #2 at that position on the depth chart? Oops...guess they didn't know any better...guess someone had better tell them he's too small to be a FS. As Coolie said, at least he can tackle. Why not give him a shot at the job? If Mitchell is so superior, he will earn it...

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolie Man View Post
    I'm not pimping Golden, just saying he's actually played better than Mitchell.
    Look at the level of competition. Golden is playing against backups; Mitchell is playing against starters. Mitchell has played poorly thus far, but he has the athleticism and pedigree.

  5. #15
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    There's a depth chart and Mitchell was brought in specifically to be the starter based on very good play last season. He tweaked his groin a little bit early on but lets give him a chance. He started 14 games last year with 4 ints and 2 forced fumbles. Golden started none (either of his 2 seasons) and was beat out of starting time by Will Allen.

    People love the pine riders.
    Have you seen the D in Charlotte tho? It's what we USED to be... the front 4 gets after it which makes it easy to cover.

    When the QB had time ALL of the Panthers DB's struggled to defend. We will see some big hits but I think we will also see him struggle a little in coverage until the pass rush improves.

  6. #16
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I'm actually willing to give Mitchell some time. Why? Because Carolina fans loved the guy...and hated to see him go. He has limited time to gel with other players, to learn this D, etc. I don't like how he has played thus far but I think he will be a good one for us.
    Like I just said above...

    The pass rush is REAL in Carolina. QB's were often hit, sacked or rushed on a ton of throws. Unless we turn into blitzburgh prepare for a little ugly in his cover game.

  7. #17
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,848
    Carolinas defense has been good for a whole 1 season....quick turn arounds are possible. Shazier and Tuitt should help that

  8. #18
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,128
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Yes, let's have Shamarko play FS. That's brilliant. A guy that isn't much bigger than Ray Rice. I like Thomas a lot but he is not a FS. He's a SS. If anything, I would use him on subpackages as another CB.
    Ed Reed is only 5' 11" and weighs 200 pounds, he's the best FS ever to play, I don't think size has as much to do with it as the skill set for the position.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  9. #19
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,848
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Ed Reed is only 5' 11" and weighs 200 pounds, he's the best FS ever to play, I don't think size has as much to do with it as the skill set for the position.

    Pappy
    Thats a fine size for a FS

    The problem with Shamarko is hes 5-9 and doesnt have much range to him..hes very fast and built like a tank, and while he CAN cover, its far from his strongest attribute

  10. #20
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    There's a depth chart and Mitchell was brought in specifically to be the starter based on very good play last season. He tweaked his groin a little bit early on but lets give him a chance. He started 14 games last year with 4 ints and 2 forced fumbles. Golden started none (either of his 2 seasons) and was beat out of starting time by Will Allen.

    People love the pine riders.
    Well, when the team is looking for a spark or someone to make a play you start grasping at straws. The defense looked so abysmal last Thursday that you start to think anyone must be better than what they're putting on the field. Could the Eagles have done any more on offense? (Which means could the Steelers have been any worse?)

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •