Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jets release Ras-I Dowling. Steelers Interested?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    I think the top 3 CB's are locked in.
    I sure hope not. Ike has looked sucky and Tez not much better. When Willie Gay is your best CB, you're probably in trouble.

Legend

User Info Menu

he should have been named:

Ras IR Dowling

Legend

User Info Menu

Which recently cut players the Steelers could target

By Christopher Carter on Aug 26 2014

Terrelle Thomas in his better days with the New York Giants

Sifting through the 75-man roster cuts, the Steelers could find a few players useful to their depth needs as they finish up preseason and approach opening weekend.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have gone through their first batch of cuts, but so has most of their competition in the NFL, and that means it's time to see if they can make the old adage, "one man's trash is another man's treasure," come to fruition. Below are some of the players the Steelers should take a look at to help with some of their depth issues.

Cornerback

The Steelers could use more support behind their main three cornerbacks of Ike Taylor, William Gay and Cortez Allen, and going for experience should be their goal to find that support.

Derek Cox (cut from the Minnesota Vikings)

Cox didn't last long on the Vikings' roster, but prior to that he had 12 interceptions over a span of four seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars. The sixth-year player out of William & Mary could be sought out by fellow alumnus, Mike Tomlin, to aid the Steelers' depth in the secondary. His 40-yard-dash time was 4.39 upon entering the league, so there's a chance the Steelers could get a veteran speedster who has made a few plays in his day. His numbers certainly speak louder than the numbers which Brice McCain put up with the Houston Texans, even though McCain is a faster athlete than Cox.

Terrelle Thomas (cut from the Seattle Seahawks)

Thomas is another player who found success on a roster prior to being cut. Thomas' second and third year were his most successful in the league with back-to-back seasons with five interceptions in 2009 and 2010 for the New York Giants, in the latter year of which he also forced four fumbles. Thomas' run was cut short however by back-to-back ACL tears in 2011 and 2012. Though he played all 16 games in 2013 for the Giants, he only recorded one interception and the outlook on his career was that the ACL tears may hamper him from that point on. After being cut by the Seattle Seahawks, Thomas could be a veteran the Steelers take a look at. Though he's even less of a speedster than Cox, if he can provide the team with some interceptions in dime packages, he would prove useful against empty-set offenses.

Defensive Linemen

Jermelle Cudjo (cut from the Kansas City Chiefs)

Cudjo is a fourth-year DT in the league after spending three seasons with the St. Louis Rams. His 6-foot-2, 302 lbs. frame and experience could add depth behind Steven McClendon at the DT position and be an aid for more substitution packages, as the Steelers try to keep fresh legs on the defensive line. His 36 tackles over a span of three seasons with the Rams were not enough to keep him around, but if he can be a substitution player that's not put on roller skates by opposing offensive lines, his experience and size could help the defensive line.

Offensive Linemen

Winston Justice (cut from the Denver Broncos)

The Steelers need help at the tackle position behind Mike Adams and Guy Whimper, who are their only viable backups at this point. Justice is no sleeper candidate, but with eight years in the league, the Steelers could use his experience to mold with their young offensive line under Mike Munchak.

Running backs

Edwin Baker (cut from the Cleveland Browns)

Baker was overtaken in 2011 on Michigan State's depth chart by Le'Veon Bell, which led to him being selected in the seventh round of the 2012 NFL draft. After bouncing around, Baker managed to land a spot on the Browns' roster and even score two touchdowns for them in 2013. He maintained a 4.0-yards-per-carry average over 43 carries for Cleveland and did not fumble once. With the Steelers' current question mark as to the impending suspensions to their top two halfbacks, it may be worthwhile to sign Bell's former competition at Michigan State as a precaution.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-roster-nfl-depth-chart/2014/8/26/6070615/which-recently-cut-players-the-steelers-could-target[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Id be interested in Victor Butler, but i guess hes not fully recovered

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Take a flyer on Dowling, I wanted him to be drafted in the fourth for us that year.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    If we are looking for CB depth...I woud rather look at Derek Cox who was released.
    I would actually prefer Terrell Thomas or Derek Cox more than Dowling..
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Id be interested in Victor Butler, but i guess hes not fully recovered
    Still got that crush on him, huh? I wanted him at one point (when it was down to Dallas and the Steelers the other offseason)..but has proven he's damaged goods.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    I would actually prefer Terrell Thomas or Derek Cox more than Dowling..
    me too, it's not a good sign when the CB starved Jets release you in the first wave of cuts...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    Still got that crush on him, huh? I wanted him at one point (when it was down to Dallas and the Steelers the other offseason)..but has proven he's damaged goods.
    Hes purely a one dimensional pass rusher, but would be better depth than lets say, Chris Carter.

But i guess he was injured pretty badly

Backup

User Info Menu

Rats snatched up cox real quick