Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Great article on Lebeau defense and why it no longer works!!!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When are you people going to realize we have a personnel problem .... not a scheme problem.
    The defense has no pass rush threat. 1 LB on the entire roster can pass rush from the Outside. The rest of our LBs are really 4-3 backers or ILBs.
    Couple that with mediocre CBs and teams are going to pass on us all day.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    That is just you. Because while he might be an "alleged" Irish romance novelist...his observations are sound. Now, your point on talent is well taken and we will not cure this with 2 rookies. I get that. But, IMO there is something inherently broken in a defensive scheme when you can't stop run or pass against a good O. The Steelers have traditionally prided themselves on making a team one sided. Now? Nothing...they can't stop a mild case of the sniffles. And we have seen this team perform with live ammo for two seasons...and seeing the same thing in the third. Nothing different. I guess a case could be made that we are "rebuilding".
    Ah, but you haven't seen it in a third season...not yet at any rate...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Y'all please do me a favor and just relax. I'm not gonna go and proclaim that the D is broken over watching a preseason loss after, what? 3 1/2 weeks of football practice.. No game plans installed etc.... Let's see how September fares before we 'throw in the towel' on the 2014 season.. geesh....
    No one is throwing in the towel. But personally I am a concerned fan who watched his team get dominated. I don't want to hear anything about vanilla D because it's not the truth. They looked sloppy and didn't execute. They have looked like ish against decent teams. If you want to wait until sept to be concerned so be it. But this isn't going to change by then. The problems will still be there.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Didnt we sell out against the run vs Denver in the playoffs 2011? Make Tim Tebow beat us was the answer, if not mistaken.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

To be fair, one of the reasons we sold out against the run in that playoff game was because at the end of regulation time, we didn't have much choice. The front seven was a MASH unit and needed help. Not to mention that Clark, a run-stopper, didn't even play in the game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    When are you people going to realize we have a personnel problem .... not a scheme problem.
    The defense has no pass rush threat. 1 LB on the entire roster can pass rush from the Outside. The rest of our LBs are really 4-3 backers or ILBs.
    Couple that with mediocre CBs and teams are going to pass on us all day.

Not quite sure where you are coming down on this? If it is a personnel problem, then why run a scheme that requires personnel that you don't have or match the talents of what you do have?

It seems to be that it is pretty easy to be a good coach if you have the perfect players to do what you want, but shouldn't a great coach be able to make adjustments to match what he has and put his players in a position to excel?

Pretty sure that just waiting for the right players to show up or take 3-4 years to develop isn't a recipe for success in this league
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

No novel thinking here. Make a team 'one dimensional' has been a staple of LeBeau's defensive scheme for a long time.
    Problem lies in that the NFL has twisted the rules so much that the perfect storm of a defense has to occur to prevent the other team from scoring.
    There is a reason why Carroll's defense sucked the first couple years it was in place. He didn't have the right combination of players.

Some fans need to step away from the ledge for a moment. Anyone that thought the season (not just PRESEASON) would go off without some inconsistency is dreaming. What about 'getting used to NFL game speed'? and against Philly multiply that X2. Unreasonable to think a new safety, a new ILB, a practically new defensive line would march out there in week 3 and execute. As some writers who broke down the game suggest, many of the problems stemmed from guys in out of position. This is teachable and will improve.
    I myself expect another slow start from this team, but hope they can finish strong and squeek into the playoffs this year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Not quite sure where you are coming down on this? If it is a personnel problem, then why run a scheme that requires personnel that you don't have or match the talents of what you do have?

It seems to be that it is pretty easy to be a good coach if you have the perfect players to do what you want, but shouldn't a great coach be able to make adjustments to match what he has and put his players in a position to excel?

Pretty sure that just waiting for the right players to show up or take 3-4 years to develop isn't a recipe for success in this league
    Since Tomlin came in the Draft talent has been sub par.

What would they switch too.... a 4-3?? I'd be all for it with this personnel if we had a few true 4-3 DEs.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

No. If you ask ANY coach in the NFL if their scheme works better with talented players, 100% of coaches will say yes...

Besides, Seattle's entire defense, which is apparently en vogue right now, was populated with players that took 3-4 years to develop...

LeBeau has made adjustments...this is the entire point of the article...but he can't force the players to excel...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Glad to see others are beginning to see it isn't working anymore and it won't because as I said many times there is no margin for error in talent replacement fro what LeBeau wants to do. Hoping and praying for the next great Nose Tackle is foolish because there aren't enough with all the teams playing the 3-4. Waiting years to get the right combination of players isn't the answer. Not sure you sell out against the run, but how about putting four on the DL versus three to better control the LOS? On other points:

1. Agree with giving McCullers a chance. He is disruptive.
    2. Jones isn't working, but pretty sure Harrison isn't the answer
    3. Keep the safeties back since you will have to tackle the catch with the new contact rules and you can't have Troy out of position 50% of the time
    Ovi, you do realize this person is saying the 'changes' LeBeau is trying to make aren't working. These 'changes' are the things you say LeBeau doesn't do. This person advocates going back to DL's old fashioned 3-4 zone blitz and you are praising him as one who sees the system isn't working anymore. It's pretty funny.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!