Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 150

Thread: Great article on Lebeau defense and why it no longer works!!!!!

  1. #131
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,867
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Take away the best players, Smitty, Hampton, Harrison, Farrior, Foote, Woodley, etc. Be stuck relying on aging vets in Keisel, Ike, Troy, etc. And have very little in the way of young legit talent - Timmons, Worilds, Heyward.

    And what do you expect from Lebeau?

    We need better players. That's it. If you want to blame Lebeau for not getting the right guys, sure, put that on him. But I dont think his system or capabilities as a coach have declined.

    And I have a feeling Tomlin, Colbert have more say on personnel than Dick.

    It looks bad. We just need some young players to develop. Tez, Shark, Golden, Shazier, Mitchell, Cam, Tuitt, JJ, etc.

    And I think this D is a little screwed until we get a legit NT. The whole system works off great NT play and we don't have one.
    great post flippy!

  2. #132
    Pedigree does not equal talent...

    Example: Ziggy Hood had a first round pedigree...

  3. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Wow. It is some scary $#!+ when Flippy is the voice of reason!!!
    Tru dat...

  4. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    First of all, it is rocket science, or some facsimile there of. How do I know? Because it is Dick Lubaea's creation, so it must be the ultimate in complicated and brilliant. Haven't you heard? His system is so uber complex, that it takes a man years of constant study and repetition to even come close to grasping it near totality. Secondly, this (not all) 3-4 does NOT really on DL winning battles; all they are going for are stalemates, not wins. Any sacks or pressures by the DL is icing on the cake. They are there to clog the lanes up, and the LBs are the ones to make QB pressures, sacks and tackles on the backs, generally speaking. Ever since Hampton, Smith - and to some extent Kemo and those fellas - the clog factor is lacking, and OL are able to reach out and put bodies on our LBs (or our LBs themselves are lacking compared to days previous, such as JJ for sure) so the whole system performs sloppy diarrhea on the field. Our problem is both with the DL AND the LBs; it is a culmination between the two, AND the lack of QB pressure also makes our DBs look worse, obviously. If JJ is a virtual bust, all of this is exacerbated. JJ showed no push whatsoever on "that OT" last week. None. If our ROLB continues to be that weak, the season is over. That is our money position. Having a weakling attempting to man it will be a disaster.
    Please don't ever speak to me about football theory. Everyone here understands how the 3-4 works. Re-read the post...put the yanky magazine down and come up with a coherent response.

  5. #135
    Hall of Famer DukieBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,259
    It's all relative, Shawn and Slap. You guy make this board worthy also.



    Narcissistic injury is the term used for any threat to a narcissist's outsized ego or self-esteem.



  6. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    It's all relative, Shawn and Slap. You guy make this board worthy also.
    Why thank you Dukie...I mean if Flippy is voice of reason here...we are all screwed.

  7. #137
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    the front 7 will have four #1 picks and 2 mid 2nd round picks comprised of it. (6 out of 7 positions)

    last year wasnt much different with hood and woodely there.

    troy is a former #1 and future HOFer still playing well. how much high end talent/pedigree does a DC need to field a good defense?
    for comparison, seattle has 2. irvin who doesnt even play full time and LB bobby wagner
    That only matters for how much they get paid to start.

    Aaron Smith (4th) and James Harrison (UDFA) carved out their own niche and became some of the best players in the entire NFL. After a few years in the league you see the talent level out between first round picks that dont bust and mid/late round picks that emerge as valuable pieces of the roster

    Was Golden Tate better than Antonio Brown as a prospect? Yes

    Does anyone give a **** about that now? No

  8. #138
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,316
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    That only matters for how much they get paid to start.

    Aaron Smith (4th) and James Harrison (UDFA) carved out their own niche and became some of the best players in the entire NFL. After a few years in the league you see the talent level out between first round picks that dont bust and mid/late round picks that emerge as valuable pieces of the roster

    Was Golden Tate better than Antonio Brown as a prospect? Yes

    Does anyone give a **** about that now? No

    then tell someone who's involved with the draft about taking front 7 players later. we're not addressing other areas of weakness and keep beefing up the front 7

  9. #139
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    then tell someone who's involved with the draft about taking front 7 players later. we're not addressing other areas of weakness and keep beefing up the front 7
    Honestly, hood set them back a bit. Spence too. It's all coming together though

  10. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Take away the best players, Smitty, Hampton, Harrison, Farrior, Foote, Woodley, etc. Be stuck relying on aging vets in Keisel, Ike, Troy, etc. And have very little in the way of young legit talent - Timmons, Worilds, Heyward.

    And what do you expect from Lebeau?

    We need better players. That's it. If you want to blame Lebeau for not getting the right guys, sure, put that on him. But I dont think his system or capabilities as a coach have declined.

    And I have a feeling Tomlin, Colbert have more say on personnel than Dick.

    It looks bad. We just need some young players to develop. Tez, Shark, Golden, Shazier, Mitchell, Cam, Tuitt, JJ, etc.

    And I think this D is a little screwed until we get a legit NT. The whole system works off great NT play and we don't have one.
    Its not a matter of taking away the best player, we needed to put talent on offense too and we cant afford to do that if we have all that high paid talent on D. If lebeau's scheme requires a bunch of all pro's in order to work, then its a scheme that's not worth it. What do I want lebeau to do? I want him to coach! Don't tell me we just have to keep getting our heads kicked in on D until we get a perfect player for every spot. If the scheme is effective we have plenty of talented players to make it work. Are you going to tell me the reason Seattle has the best defense in the league is because they have the most talented players?
    Last edited by Mr.wizard; 08-31-2014 at 11:24 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •