Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bob Smizik: Defense stinks out the joint!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    So it will be the fault of Haley and the offense because we know one person who is teflon!!!

Like I have repeatedly said reference to your comment blow

You need to adjust to the talents of the people you actually have not the ones you wish you had. You have young guys so you don't rely on a system that requires 5-6 years of experience. That is doomed to fail.
    I didn't say anything about Lebeau, based on what I saw last night, I believe the offense has to be the better unit this year, regardless if Lebeau, Capers, Rivera or the DC du jour is the coach, the defense needs the young players to play better than they are to be consistent. One week, they're world beaters and the next they look like they did last night. There will be plenty of defensive highlights this year and the young guys are going to get valuable playing time that will bode well in the future. The FO will also get a good look at them and know if they are worth a second contract or not and not have to make a snap decision like Worilds and Lewis because they didn't get on the field soon enough.

There is no adjusting to talents when you're getting your a$$ kicked by the guy across from you. Lebeau could have adjusted the defense until the cows come home, he wasn't getting anyone to beat the guy across from him last night.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    So it will be the fault of Haley and the offense because we know one person who is teflon!!!

Like I have repeatedly said reference to your comment blow

You need to adjust to the talents of the people you actually have not the ones you wish you had. You have young guys so you don't rely on a system that requires 5-6 years of experience. That is doomed to fail.
    It's not as simple as adjusting to the talents of the players coaches have on the team. What if the talent a coach has simply isn't good enough? What if the players don't or can't execute properly? At the end of the day, coaches don't usually make that much of a difference unless their players are good enough.

The system isn't the issue nor is it doomed to fail. The defensive system a long with the right players helped to carried the team to 3 SB's. There isn't a defensive system in the league that can succeed without the right players.

I'm concerned for the people that watch the game for years and continue to overreact towards preseason games.
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 08-22-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Go back and watch Worilds and then tell me that he wasn't balling.
    I agree. Worilds had more hussel that 3/4 of that D.

Bob Smizik: Defense stinks out the joint!

Just ask Bell & Blount. They know a thing or two about joints.

Our NT situation and secondary is really starting to worry me. It's scary to think what some of the better QBs in the league will do against our secondary.

Most of us were high on McClendon when he had spot duty a couple of seasons ago. How does everyone feel how he is doing now ?

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Most of us were high on McClendon when he had spot duty a couple of seasons ago. How does everyone feel how he is doing now ?
    I think he sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    First, we have "joint" in the title of this thread, and now, y'all are talking about being "high"...just what is going on around here???!!

The starting defense gave up 31 points and 372 yards.

“It was probably an ugly game to look at at home,” Tomlin said.

Finding someone in the black jerseys who played well was difficult. Shazier, so fast and dominating against the Bills, had trouble defending the Eagles' tight ends as quarterback Nick Foles drive his offense to two early touchdowns.

Former Pitt star LeSean McCoy finished off a crisply executed 80-yard, 11 play with a 22-yard screen pass touchdown, then left with an apparently not-serious right thumb injury. It was only the second touchdown in the Eagles starters' first nine preseason drives.

Foles, running the no-huddle at a tempo that Roethlisberger would love to replicate, then went 6 of 6 for 55 yards on a 13-play drive finished off by Darren Sproles' 1-yard scoring dash.

The Eagles' offense didn't stop even after their starters were pulled – and Pittsburgh's stayed on the field.

Mark Sanchez – yes, that Mark Sanchez – led touchdown drives of 80 and 60 yards to make it 31-7 in the third quarter as Tomlin refused to pull his defensive starters. Both drives were finished off by 1-yard touchdown runs from Matthew Tucker.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz3BB3X18h1

Issues stopping the run

In contrast to Pittsburgh’s backs, the Philly runners netted 171 yards and a 5.5 yards-per-carry average. Those are the numbers of a contender. For the Steelers, those numbers are alarming. Those statistics were compiled largely against the team’s starting defensive combinations.

Ryan Shazier did not follow up his first performance with another gem, but he wasn’t alone. Pittsburgh’s linebackers looked lost at defending the run and frequently made mistakes that could have been easily avoided.

Pittsburgh’s run defense failures in 2013 were a big reason the team failed to qualify for the playoffs and a big reason that the defense was heavily retooled in the offseason. If this is the result, 2014 could be more of the same for a unit that still seems to need a lot of work.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar..._head_17113646