Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: M. Bryant=

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    If the ball is in the air, attack it. Things you are taught in pee wee. I personally don't think that's unreasonable.

a number 8 pick overall in the draft had problems with that too when he turned pro.... plax.

he looked too anxious to me to be honest. mistimed that fade route by like 5 seconds.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    he's a raw 4th round pick. what did you expect? come in and turn the league upside down?

not saying he's the next AJ or CJ but the way this team devalues the WR position, he may be our only hope of a big fast #1 type wideout in the near future
    I have no problem with where he was drafted - after all AB was found in the 6th - but some of the observations about his technique & skill-set are spot on. My concern is that he's got inconsistent hands & we've all seen that rarely do those guys get better (i.e. DHB), which leads me to believe that he'll end up this year as nothing more than a home-run threat at the end of games.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

I don't think the steelers drafted him with the expectation that he would have consistent hands. I think they drafted him because he is a matchup nightmare and in todays nfl with that size and speed can draw PI flags all day long, We have guys in brown and moore who can move the chains. Marcus wheaton, the jury is still out on him and whether or not he has consistent hands, the difference with wheaton is he is a small guy so if he is not doing it with his hands what real benefit is he providing.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I don't think the steelers drafted him with the expectation that he would have consistent hands. I think they drafted him because he is a matchup nightmare and in todays nfl with that size and speed can draw PI flags all day long, We have guys in brown and moore who can move the chains. Marcus wheaton, the jury is still out on him and whether or not he has consistent hands, the difference with wheaton is he is a small guy so if he is not doing it with his hands what real benefit is he providing.
    Exactly, we knew he was raw and this is why Tomlin has been riding him since he arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Exactly, we knew he was raw and this is why Tomlin has been riding him since he arrived.
    Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life View Post
    I have no problem with where he was drafted - after all AB was found in the 6th - but some of the observations about his technique & skill-set are spot on. My concern is that he's got inconsistent hands & we've all seen that rarely do those guys get better (i.e. DHB), which leads me to believe that he'll end up this year as nothing more than a home-run threat at the end of games.
    the hype with him thru some beat writers was exaggerated...as are many 'camp reports'

in reality, if he even becomes a somewhat solid #3 receiver for us in the future...then its a really good draft pick. the odds of 4th rounders even sticking with a team for a few years is very low

Was at the game on Thursday night. Keisel gave my son his hat. Highlight of the night. Yeah it was rough. Regarding Bryant he is a work in progress. However he is inconsistent but just like Shazier,Tuitt and Archer who will get better in time so can this rookie. Johnson played center with the 2's and he isn't there yet but he has some good upside. McCullers made a tackle outside the #'s something I didn't think I would ever see. Another rook who is not there yet but has that huge upside.
    Bryant has the high ceiling and could become a good red zone target. He was open on a 9 route but it was over thrown. Don't get the hate. Kid was working hard at Latrobe.
    Wing just can't compress it that well and was off in warm ups and during the game. We will likely pick up another punter this week to compete.
    We opened in nickle and against those two solid tackles just could not get much pass rush. If we can't rush the passer our pass D will get hammered. Ike had a bad game( he has had a bad camp too). Phily was in pistol or at least shotgun on every snap. Not once under center and Foles n even Sanchez with a little time was able to go through progression and find the open man.
    With every down field field contact being called I think more D coordinators will move to press man. Jam them up front and hope the timing is off because if you try to reroute receivers down field it's a field of yellow every time.
    Timmons had a excellent night.Thomas played well in a limited role. That was about it for the positives. Cortez Allen left with a finger injury but was glad to see him right back on the field as he will be or is our #1 corner. We need someone else to step up at corner. This is imho clearly our weakest link.
    Cut down on 8/26. 15 players will be let go. Don't think that will be a difficult cut down at all.

I think Bryant will be fine.. He is a 4th Rounder, raw (not a 2nd) and looked like he was trying to hard to make a play.. Looked like he was pressing.. He was not Dropping wide open in the middle of the field passes like the last big guy we had.. Isn't the Receiver position the toughest position to play as a Rookie (outside of Qb)

I bet by mid-season he will be making a decent contribution to this team.. Just a hunch.

Hall of Famer
    Plenty of rookies look like crap.

if you really want something to worry about consider how poorly our starting WR Wheaton played. Alligator arms, poor adjustments, wrong routes, easily rerouted by CBs, and no timing or chemistry with Ben. This is our starter. I still believe in his potential, but time is running short (and so are our receivers).
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

I think Bryant will need some time to adjust to the pro game. Give him a couple of years and I think we will have a pretty good receiver. He reminds me a lot of Alshon Jeffery when he first came into the league.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>