Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keisel coming back

Backup

User Info Menu

Keisel coming back

Brett Keisel took a jet Tuesday to Arizona to apparently sign with the Arizona Cardinals, but after landing at the airport in Phoenix, he was informed the Steelers wanted him for one more season.

The 12-year veteran defensive end hopped back on a plane to Pittsburgh and will sign a contract to play his 13th NFL season with the Steelers, who drafted him in 2002.

“I am very excited to finish what I started in 2002 with the Steelers,’’ Keisel wrote on Twitter. “Time to get to work.’’

Keisel, who turns 36 next month, became an unrestricted free agent in March and the Steelers made him no offers until now. He will rejoin a defense that has undergone a youth movement but one that has not quite gained the coaches’ confidence in the defensive line. They signed veteran Cam Thomas from San Diego in free agency as a nose tackle/end and drafted end Stephon Tuitt in the second round.

How they use Keisel is the next question. Cam Heyward moved into Keisel’s spot at right defensive end, where he started the past eight seasons. Thomas had been starting at left end with Tuitt pushing him for that job. It’s possible that Heyward would move to the left side and Keisel would reclaim his job on the right.

Eric Metz, a Monroeville native who is Keisel’s agent, declared in the spring that his client was not interested in playing for minimum wage, which for him would be slightly more than $1 million. The Steelers and Metz were still working on financial details of the contract last night.

Keisel started 12 games last season and 110 over the course of his career. Drafted in the seventh round from BYU in 2002, he cut his teeth as a good special teams player and waited four years before he became a starting defensive end in 2006.

He was an every-down player for most of his career, although that likely will not continue in 2014.

Legend

User Info Menu

Kiesel is one of my favorite players this century, but if this is true I don't like it. We have a couple good young DL who should get a chance. Kiesel with no camp could be hurt in a flash. Smacks of afraid of getting out of comfort zone...again!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think they always intended on bringing him back or they aren't impressed with Thomas. Keisel is now and always has been better than cam Thomas.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Troys hair, Keisels beard, who's next ? Cousin it ?

Legend

User Info Menu

It obvious the players in camp are not getting it done. This isn't a "bring back the good old days" signing. Multiple coaches must think he's a better option than what they've seen in the preseason. Anyone he's keeping off the roster didn't deserve to make it anyway.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

He never cleaned out his locker

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I just cannot justify anything negative about bringing the beard back. Let him mentor our young bucks and let this guy retire a steeler.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We have plenty of cap space for a 1 yr. deal. Why not??
    Even if he's a situational guy to spell the young bucks ...
    ...or maybe he got shredded like Faneca and will play CB??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Looks like Rooney put his wingtips on backwards.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    It obvious the players in camp are not getting it done. This isn't a "bring back the good old days" signing. Multiple coaches must think he's a better option than what they've seen in the preseason. Anyone he's keeping off the roster didn't deserve to make it anyway.
    $$$$
    I have to think that they're not all that impressed with Cam at DE. Nor are they as sold on Tuitt as some would like you to believe.