Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keisel coming back

Pro Bowler
    I think they are very high on Tuitt and very excited about him, especially as a pass rusher...but Mitchell would never go into the season with him as his #1 insurance policy as an every down player

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    He's not re-signing to be a starter, but he does give us a solid 4-man rotation at DE with Heyward, Thomas, Tuitt, and Keisel. Keeps everyone fresh and he can mentor young guys like Tuitt, McCullers, and Mauro (assuming Big Dan makes the final 53 and Mauro makes the P.S., or vice versa).

Curious to see if they do the same thing at OLB, bringing back Deebo for OLB depth with Worilds, Jones, and Moats (replacing Carter on the roster), while mentoring young guys like Jarvis, HoJo, and So'oto (assuming HoJo makes the final 53 and So'oto makes the P.S., or vice versa).

Pro Bowler
    Keisels deal is for 2 years btw

The idea of him being a mentor with this very young group looks like it will be what we get out of this. I thought Keisel's legs were gone last year but he gave so much to this organization I got no problem with him back for 14. The bubble just got huge for Arnfelt,Hemer,N Williams and Fangupo. Lapuaho was cut to open the roster spot.

Backup
    Very excited about having Keisel back. I love the depth we have at DE.

To be honest, I hope we can keep Mauro on the 53 man roster. I don't want to lose him off the practice squad.

This was a great move by Pittsburgh. I love the idea of him in a rotation. Should really keep him healthy. At least healthier than in recent years. Even at his age. Not to mention the knowledge he will drop on Tuitt, Mauro and Mccullers.

Pro Bowler
    @dlolleyor: #Steelers list Keisel as starting RDE. Have moved Cam Heyward back to LDE. Tuitt backs up Keisel. Thomas backs up Heyward

Keisel, at his age, will be more effective now that he is not an every down guy. This is a win-win situation for everyone involved!

150 and 171 yards allowed on the ground thus far.

Can't hurt to bring back a vet while the younger guys learn how to stuff the run.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    Very excited about having Keisel back. I love the depth we have at DE.

To be honest, I hope we can keep Mauro on the 53 man roster. I don't want to lose him off the practice squad.

This was a great move by Pittsburgh. I love the idea of him in a rotation. Should really keep him healthy. At least healthier than in recent years. Even at his age. Not to mention the knowledge he will drop on Tuitt, Mauro and Mccullers.

Mauro is showing me something.... albeit against 3rd stringers...

CAN KEISEL STABILIZE STEELERS' NICKEL?

Sep 02, 2014
    Jim Wexell
    Publisher SteelCityInsider.net

Modifications are being made to an alignment that proved to be a preseason embarrassment.

After allowing 7.3 yards per carry while playing 70 percent of the available first-team snaps through the first three preseason games, the Steelers' nickel defense -- seemingly the new base defense -- allowed only two yards on one carry in the finale against Carolina.

The nickel defense overall -- after allowing 507 of the 625 total first-team yards in the first three preseason games -- allowed only 20 of Carolina's 72 first-team yards.

Was there an adjustment?

"Let me take the credit right now," defensive end Brett Keisel said with a laugh. "Everything's good now that I'm back there!"

Keisel, of course, was kidding. But, he was in there, plugged right into the nickel, once as one of three defensive ends on a four-man line.

Keisel added some much-needed heft, but it was only against a Carolina team that used a fullback much of the time.

The Cleveland Browns are expected to use a similarly plodding fullback/two-tight end scheme in Sunday's opener at Heinz Field, so the nickel that panicked Steelers fans in the preseason may not even be tested.

But what if it is? What is the plan if the Browns give chase to the Steelers' preseason defensive nightmare?

"You'll just have to wait and see," said end Cameron Heyward.

Heyward did say that the nickel has been a point of emphasis since the embarrassment at Philadelphia in the third preseason game.

"Yeah. We looked at a lot of things," Heyward said. "We understand we have to play better in nickel situations. People don't want to see us in our base (with a nose tackle). Fine. We're pretty good in a base front. As for the nickel, we have to get better, and we've worked on it.

We're correcting things and making some modifications."

Does Heyward trust in those modifications?

"I trust in everything," he said. "If I don't, I'm in the wrong place. One team, one mind, and we'll go from there."

Keisel, no doubt, will be a key factor in the Steelers' modifications. Against Carolina he even stood up as an inside linebacker in the Steelers' "Rover" defense, and once as a 4-3 end. He brings the hybrid type of end who's fast enough to provide pressure on the quarterback and stout enough to stand up against the run.

Those are the preferred nickel defenders, and now the Steelers have three for the defensive line in Keisel, Heyward and prize rookie Stephon Tuitt.

Mike Tomlin, of course, wouldn't give any hints at his Tuesday press conference.
    "Were sorting through all of those things, so it would be premature to talk about adjustments," Tomlin said.

He was asked to critique Keisel's performance against Carolina, only a week after the soon-to-be 36-year-old re-signed with the team.

"It was above the line," Tomlin said. "I still think were just getting a sense of what Brett is capable of from the snap standpoint. That will have a lot to do with his utilization in the game, along with the performance of others. I think thats just growing organically and Im not opposed to it growing in any direction. And Im sure Brett is not opposed to it growing, particularly if it means him playing more than he played last weekend. Hes going to be an asset to us and I just look forward to continuing to watch him round himself into form."

Keisel, being a 13-year veteran in Pittsburgh, clearly understands the importans of "smashing the run," as he calls it, in coordinator Dick LeBeau's defense. Even as the evolving rules make it easier to throw the ball, both the Eagles and New York Giants showed the Steelers what can happen if they defend the pass, and seemingly only the pass. The leaky run defense was a slower but more certain death.

"We're trying some different things right now and working some different guys
    together," Keisel said of Monday's practice. "I think some of the problem was a lack of game-planning, and some of it was technique, and some of it was pad level. There are a lot of those things that have to run together for you to be successful. You can say you're in the right gap, but if you're not playing with good technique and pad level you'll get pushed all over the place."

The Steelers were no doubt "pushed all over the place" this preseason. It may have had something to do with a front four utilizing defensive ends as tackles and outside linebackers as ends.

Is there a premium in Pittsburgh right now on true defensive ends?

"Yeah," Keisel said. "You've got to be able to set the edge. You've got to be tough on the edge with all these speed receivers and the new things they're doing with option and stuff like that. So a lot of teams are doing that stuff, and if your edge breaks down, you're in trouble."

The Steelers have witnessed that carnage first hand. They're hoping it's in the rearview mirror.

http://pit.scout.com/story/1441090-c...rs-nickel?s=68