Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Sign Gilbert to a 6 year deal

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers Sign Gilbert to a 6 year deal

The Steelers secured their offensive line even further on Tuesday when they signed tackle Marcus Gilbert to a new six-year contract that will keep him in black and gold through the 2019 season.

“It means I am locked in hopefully as a Steeler for the rest of my career,” said Gilbert. “It’s a blessing to work for a great organization, the Rooney family, Kevin Colbert and Coach (Mike) Tomlin. Just to be around in Pittsburgh, where they show you so much love, I couldn’t be happier and in a better place.”

Gilbert, who was selected in the second-round of the 2011 NFL Draft, has started in 34 of the 35 regular season games he played with the Steelers, plus he started one preseason game.

He has continued to develop since his rookie year, when he made 13 starts and was the recipient of the Joe Greene Great Performance Award for the team’s outstanding rookie. As he has grown, he has seen the line grow and loves the potential they have.

“I’ve seen the growth on the offensive line, the guys I came in with,” said Gilbert. “The line is growing and we can become something special. That was one of my main focal points. To give everything I have to this organization means so much to me.”

In June the Steelers signed center Maurkice Pouncey through the 2019 season as well, keeping these former high school and University of Florida teammates together for a long time.

“Pouncey and I have been friends since high school,” said Gilbert. “It’s a blessing to have a brother in the same city, playing on the same team, you can’t ask for anything more. We have had our ups and downs and now we are Steelers for life.”

[url]http://www.steelers.com/news/article...b-f20c89f6dfd5[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

I've heard good things about him this season...might end up being a great signing if the numbers are right.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Im VERY interested in the $$$

Hoping its around 4.5 a year. 6 years $27 million would be PERFECT
    Last edited by K Train; 08-19-2014 at 04:57 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

No word on the money? I sure hope it wasn't above-average money, because to this point in his career, he's been a below-average NFL RT, IMO.

Hope he gets it going this year...sounds like the Steelers think he will, so I'll try to be optimistic.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

@rayfitt1: The Gilbert contract is 6 years and $30 million according to source

5/year is what Oher got as well

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    @rayfitt1: The Gilbert contract is 6 years and $30 million according to source

5/year is what Oher got as well
    nice signing... nice price. love it.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Backup

User Info Menu

I thought this guy was our worst off lineman??? Did something change?
    I would be glad if we extended Heyward or Worilds instead.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    I thought this guy was our worst off lineman??? Did something change?
    I would be glad if we extended Heyward or Worilds instead.
    He's partially benefitting from Adams sucking complete ass but also because he has played decent recently and he came into camp in great shape ready to work for his new deal. This deal is making him the RT with the potential to play LT down the road depending how beachum holds up...I think the starters are the best they have been since 05 on the oline and Munchak is gonna get the most of them

Heyward is on deck but they've exercised his 5th year option so there's no risk of him hitting FA

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

good price now, will be a great price down the line if he keeps developing

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    He's partially benefitting from Adams sucking complete ass but also because he has played decent recently and he came into camp in great shape ready to work for his new deal. This deal is making him the RT with the potential to play LT down the road depending how beachum holds up...I think the starters are the best they have been since 05 on the oline and Munchak is gonna get the most of them

Heyward is on deck but they've exercised his 5th year option so there's no risk of him hitting FA
    Isn't that just for this year though? It has nothing to do with next season I thought.