Thread: Steelers Prepping for Relentless Watt, Texans

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Prepping for Relentless Watt, Texans

[url]http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/10/18/6210971/steelers-prepping-for-relentless.html?rh=1[/url]

Steelers prepping for relentless Watt, Texans
    Posted Saturday, Oct. 18, 2014
    BY WILL GRAVES
    AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH — J.J. Watt isn't the kind of player to walk into a coach's office and make demands.

The way the Houston Texans defensive end is playing, there's no need. The ball seems to end up in his hands regardless of where he lines up, whether it's on the defensive line or during the occasional snap at tight end.

"He never lobbies," coach Bill O'Brien said. "He doesn't do that. There are other guys that lobby for things, but he's not a lobbyist."

What Watt is — at the moment anyway — is the most dominant defensive force in the NFL, even if the Texans (3-3) are hardly a finished product heading into Monday night's game at Pittsburgh (3-3).

And for all the ridiculously athletic plays Watt has made over the season's first six weeks, he'd trade his own burgeoning MVP candidacy for the first significant victory of O'Brien's tenure.

The truth is, for all the fireworks Watt has provided, the Texans have just 10 sacks and are 27th in total defense. That's not exactly the way to make inroads on Indianapolis in the AFC South.

"Obviously up front, we need to get after the passer," Watt said. "That's what I can control in my group. We need to get after the passer, we need to be sound in our coverages in what we do and put pressure on guys, and obviously we knock out some of those plays and it'll be a big help."

Yards haven't been an issue for the Steelers. Points, however, are another matter entirely. Pittsburgh's offense sputters to a halt whenever it nears the end zone.

The Steelers have only turned seven of their 19 possessions inside the opponent's 20 into touchdowns, a major reason they have alternated wins and losses despite having what quarterback Ben Roethlisberger described as the franchise's most explosive attack in his 11-year career.

"We've got to find a way to score," left tackle Kelvin Beachum said. "It's not magic or secret to it. We've just got to get it done."

Some things to look for as the Texans try to snap a two-game losing streak and the Steelers attempt to bounce back from a debacle in Cleveland that marked the franchise's worst loss to its closest rival in 25 years.

CLOSE CLOWNEY: Houston's pass rush might get a needed boost with the possible return of rookie linebacker Jadeveon Clowney, who has missed the past five games with a knee injury. O'Brien said there's a "50/50" chance Clowney could play, a move that would force the Steelers to shift some of their attention away from Watt.

BOUNTIFUL BELL: Pittsburgh second-year running back Le'Veon Bell has blossomed into one of the league's best all-around backs. He is second in the NFL in yards from scrimmage and is second on the Steelers in receptions (2 behind star wide receiver Antonio Brown. Yet Bell has just one touchdown, a 38-yard sprint against Cleveland in the opener.

POOR PRESSURE: While Houston isn't getting to the quarterback with regularity, at least the Texans are disruptive. That's not the case in Pittsburgh, which has just nine sacks and allowed unheralded opponents such as Brian Hoyer and Mike Glennon to put up big numbers.

Coach Mike Tomlin called out his outside linebackers, saying they need to be more disruptive. Jason Worilds, making more than $9 million this season, has just two sacks.

"He's had some good games and performance in pockets of games, and he's had some games where he's been less impactful," Tomlin said of Worilds. "We're compensating him to be consistently impactful and that's what we're searching for."

FEELING POSSESSED: The Texans know one way to help out their defense is to keep the offense on the field. It's not happening with any regularity. Houston is 16th in time of possession (29:43) because of some issues on third down.

The Texans are converting just 37 percent (28 of 76) of their third downs. Lengthier drives would help keep Watt fresh even if the possessions don't necessarily result in points.

"You always love the explosive plays and I'm not saying we want to avoid those, I'm saying we want to be able to string together some first downs, some good drives, keep the defense off the field and control the tempo," quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick said.

NO PANIC: A 21-point thumping by the Browns hasn't set off alarms with the Steelers.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Can't wait for Tomlin's presser where he calls out Kelvin Beachum for playing below the line and mandates that he'll have to "play better" going forward.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

J.J.H.G.H. Watt is going to do what he does. We can't worry about that. We can't worry about "Clowney", if he plays. He has to prove he can do anything in the NFL before we worry about him. Our O-line needs to follow the blueprint of the DAL Cowboys. There isn't a reason why they should be doing what they're doing, but we're not.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Our O-line needs to follow the blueprint of the DAL Cowboys. There isn't a reason why they should be doing what they're doing, but we're not.
    They aren't as good as the Cowboys OL. That's the reason.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    They aren't as good as the Cowboys OL. That's the reason.
    That's the prevailing opinion, but the ability is there. Tyron Smith is obviously a stud that we don't have. Beachum is a clear step-down (though still serviceable).

Travis Frederick is supposedly already a heck of a Center. But we have Pouncey, who at some point, was (maybe still) is considered the best in the game.

Decastro (who I haven't really heard), 2013, was bordering on dominant as a run-blocker. I don't imagine that he suddenly would fall off. He doesn't strike me as that kind of player. Foster is a SOLID vet, who gets the job done year-after-year. Compared to whoever DAL has (Zach Martin and whoever), I think we are pretty clearly better there.

And Gilbert vs. their RT (don't know who that is) is probably a wash.

I think the interior threesome should be very good to excellent, compared to the rest of the league. The Tackles are average at best. But collectively, combined with a top RB like Bell and a passing threat as good as #7--our run game should be much more reliable.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Gilbert is better than doug free.

They have a good power game on the interior...but the only CLEAR advantage they have is Tyron Smith who is a top 3 LT in the game. Each team has a top 5 center and top 10 RG