Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I still don't see the love affair for Cortez!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I dont think theres a love affair for him, I think people want their to be but hes very meh

Legend

User Info Menu

Hearing the exact same negativity towards Allen that filled this board before Keenan Lewis' last season here. Anyone who wouldn't want Lewis back right now?

Allen and the rest of the DBs are going to have a very tough season with the new contact rules. However, that doesn't mean that they aren't worth keeping. It may drive down the asking price though.

I really don't know what kind of DB you should even have in the NFL now. Zone cover guy? Man to man match up guy? Longer term discussion, given the rules does it make sense to draft a DB in the first or second round of the draft at all? Regardless of how good their skill set, they won't be able to use it.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Keenan Lewis was a great fit for Rob Ryan, but he was pretty bad here for his tenure and they didnt play press man very often at all.

He didnt want to be here, he wasnt a great fit, and he was in tomlins dog house more often than not.

Cortez kept getting this "he'll be better than Ike" praise from everyone, including Ike and we have yet to see any of that

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Hearing the exact same negativity towards Allen that filled this board before Keenan Lewis' last season here. Anyone who wouldn't want Lewis back right now?

Allen and the rest of the DBs are going to have a very tough season with the new contact rules. However, that doesn't mean that they aren't worth keeping. It may drive down the asking price though.

I really don't know what kind of DB you should even have in the NFL now. Zone cover guy? Man to man match up guy? Longer term discussion, given the rules does it make sense to draft a DB in the first or second round of the draft at all? Regardless of how good their skill set, they won't be able to use it.
    Ovi, you may hate to hear this, but tackling the catch is going to be your best bet and force the offense to go 10-12 plays without making a mistake. Trying to play press coverage with the way they are officiating contact will simply move the ball down the field 5 yards or much more at a time and give the offense a 1st down, which is the most egregious aspect of the holding call. 3rd and 10, you call a 5 yard hold, but you bail the offense out with a first down, it's ludicrous.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Do anyone actually think the refs are going to call it that tight like preseason is fooling themselves. The league would go under fast if they did, and you would see 5 hr. Games But with that said Ovi you are correct about drafting cb high.
    Last edited by Steelhere10; 08-18-2014 at 01:57 PM.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Do anyone actually think the refs are going to call it that tight like preseason is fooling themselves. The league would go under fast if they did, and you would see 5 hr. Games But with that said Ovi you are correct about drafting cb high.
    Then why call it like that in preseason if you aren't going to continue? It makes little or no sense to me anyhow.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Then why call it like that in preseason if you aren't going to continue? It makes little or no sense to me anyhow.

Pappy
    It will be called closer but they wont get out of hand with it like it is now, unless it's for Manning of course in which the rule was put in for. It was another rule changed a few years ago I think it was after the Patriots mugged Manning WR , to call for it and it was called a whole lot closer in the preseason than it was in the Regular season. Just watch it's a rule for certain teams Like NE and Denver and made against Seattle , those certain teams it will be called against/for.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Ovi, you may hate to hear this, but tackling the catch is going to be your best bet and force the offense to go 10-12 plays without making a mistake. Trying to play press coverage with the way they are officiating contact will simply move the ball down the field 5 yards or much more at a time and give the offense a 1st down, which is the most egregious aspect of the holding call. 3rd and 10, you call a 5 yard hold, but you bail the offense out with a first down, it's ludicrous.

Pappy

As Goodell continues the neutering of the NBAFL defense.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers let Keenan Lewis go...why let Cortez Allen go too? He's up and coming...he only got be like two times this season...and he isn't the only one that gets beat. Look at the other corners as well, Blake is already good as gone.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    Steelers let Keenan Lewis go...why let Cortez Allen go too? He's up and coming...he only got be like two times this season...and he isn't the only one that gets beat. Look at the other corners as well, Blake is already good as gone.
    For the buzzillionth time, Lewis wanted to go back home. There was no "letting Keenan Lewis go" by the Steelers... he simply wanted to play football elsewhere. Why would the Steelers attempt to keep a guy whose heart wasn't here....?