Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All indications: the wing tip has been raised

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

All indications: the wing tip has been raised

If you study the trends of the Steelers this year, one thing is evident: Rooney has stuck his wing tip shoe up some rear ends after two non-winning seasons. It appears to be clearly they case, considering:

1.) Dick LeBoo actually has come out and said he must get production from young players earlier - including rookies - than he has in the past. This might as well have been a clap of thunder or bomb going off. This is a radical shift in philosophy for a very old guy. Old guys don't learn on their feet; they are set in their ways and don't "learn as they go" but instead operate in an iron clad manner of past philosophies. For LeBoo to make such a radical mind shift, at his age, tells you the boss has mandated this shift in philosophy. Dick did not land on this new mindset on his own. He had a little meeting with the boss who laid down the law to him, and, I, for one, agree with him doing so.

2.) Steelers more aggressive in free agency than at any time than any of us can remember. Art 2 maneuvered that wing tip the GM's way. He probably said, "Look, I know we are usually conservative when it comes to free agency, but this year we are going to have to get more aggressive. Two non-winning seasons is enough. We must get moving to get better right now." With the signing of Mitchell, Blount, Moore, Thomas and Moats, the Steelers made more signings, of significance, than their usual 3 years combined. The last two years have embarrassed the Rooneys and Art positioned that wing tip shoe to make some things happen.

3.) Tomlin's has changed his demeanor; after having a somewhat deserved cockiness, after winning a Super Bowl and making it to another, you can tell in Tomlin's words and over all demeanor that he is taking things more seriously this season. You can tell Mr. Rooney had a "wing tip" moment with the head coach. Tomlin has actually had a rough ride since the 2011 season, when pure bad coaching - and the stubborn refusal to make much needed alterations by at least half time, caused them to lose to a QB who can't even make any teams 3rd string spot. Then, he followed that embarrassment up with two non-winning seasons. We know they love to revel in "Pgh has had only 3 coaches in 4 decades" but I believe Art 2 sent the message that regardless of that proud trend, the results of the last few years are not acceptable. Tomlin felt that wing tip.

I believe this same thing happened in 2005 when Art 2 came right out and said, "Coach Cowher knows it's time to win the Super Bowl. He knows it's time." And what did his wing tip kicks facilitate that year? A ring. Sometimes the boss has to kick some rears to make things happen, and Art has once again, and I, for one, am glad he did. This team will be in the post season this year.

Rookie

User Info Menu

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...........

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Total BS. From the same guy who was immediately bashing draft picks like Shazier and Archer and three weeks later singing their praises.

Legend

User Info Menu

If you study the trends of the Steelers this year, one thing is evident: Rooney has stuck his wing tip shoe up some rear ends after two non-winning seasons. It appears to be clearly they case, considering:

1.) Dick LeBoo actually has come out and said he must get production from young players earlier - including rookies - than he has in the past. This might as well have been a clap of thunder or bomb going off. This is a radical shift in philosophy for a very old guy. Old guys don't learn on their feet; they are set in their ways and don't "learn as they go" but instead operate in an iron clad manner of past philosophies. For LeBoo to make such a radical mind shift, at his age, tells you the boss has mandated this shift in philosophy. Dick did not land on this new mindset on his own. He had a little meeting with the boss who laid down the law to him, and, I, for one, agree with him doing so.
    Or just perhaps the fact that LAST SEASON WAS THE WORST STEELER DEFENSE OF THE LEBEAU ERA makes a difference?
    The only thing between Shazier starting was a slow 6th round scrub WHO WAS A ROOKIE HIMSELF last season who had no business starting.

2.) Steelers more aggressive in free agency than at any time than any of us can remember. Art 2 maneuvered that wing tip the GM's way. He probably said, "Look, I know we are usually conservative when it comes to free agency, but this year we are going to have to get more aggressive. Two non-winning seasons is enough. We must get moving to get better right now." With the signing of Mitchell, Blount, Moore, Thomas and Moats, the Steelers made more signings, of significance, than their usual 3 years combined. The last two years have embarrassed the Rooneys and Art positioned that wing tip shoe to make some things happen.
    Change? Not really.
    We STILL avoided big name signings. Those are all Steeler type signings, just more of them. Why? We have more cap space because we have a young team having lost a ton of big contract veterans. We also have more holes to fill going 8-8 twice along with more cap space.

3.) Tomlin's has changed his demeanor; after having a somewhat deserved cockiness, after winning a Super Bowl and making it to another, you can tell in Tomlin's words and over all demeanor that he is taking things more seriously this season. You can tell Mr. Rooney had a "wing tip" moment with the head coach. Tomlin has actually had a rough ride since the 2011 season, when pure bad coaching - and the stubborn refusal to make much needed alterations by at least half time, caused them to lose to a QB who can't even make any teams 3rd string spot. Then, he followed that embarrassment up with two non-winning seasons. We know they love to revel in "Pgh has had only 3 coaches in 4 decades" but I believe Art 2 sent the message that regardless of that proud trend, the results of the last few years are not acceptable. Tomlin felt that wing tip.
    He went from youngest SB winning coach in history and two SBs in 5 years to 3 playoff misses. Why does it take Rooney to get less cocky?

I believe this same thing happened in 2005 when Art 2 came right out and said, "Coach Cowher knows it's time to win the Super Bowl. He knows it's time." And what did his wing tip kicks facilitate that year? A ring. Sometimes the boss has to kick some rears to make things happen, and Art has once again, and I, for one, am glad he did. This team will be in the post season this year.
    Yes hyper competitive Bill Cowher whose legacy as a coach was at stake, requires a "wing tip" as motivation to do all he can to win a Super Bowl.

He won the SB because Rooney threatened his job THEN RETIRES A YEAR LATER?
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 07-20-2014 at 11:12 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...........
    Yeah, I just woke up from reading it a while ago now. Sounds like the sick one has some experience with the wingtips but not sure learning has occurred there.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    Total BS. From the same guy who was immediately bashing draft picks like Shazier and Archer and three weeks later singing their praises.
    It's already been explained in the context of logic, but your slobbering dome spewing spittle is learning impaired.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Or just perhaps the fact that LAST SEASON WAS THE WORST STEELER DEFENSE OF THE LEBEAU ERA makes a difference?
    The only thing between Shazier starting was a slow 6th round scrub WHO WAS A ROOKIE HIMSELF last season who had no business starting.
    LeBoo has NEVER been open to playing rookies; he has shown nothing but a great disdain for them, plus, claiming his system is too complex for them to grasp boosts his own ego. After all, if rookies could figure out his system, then he must not be the self-described genius. Make no doubt: Art 2 placed that wing tip into regions unknown. No way did LeBoo come to this revelation on his own accord. Art 2 laid down the law; we know Tomlin didn't. It was Art. Kudos Art.
    Change? Not really.
    We STILL avoided big name signings. Those are all Steeler type signings, just more of them. Why? We have more cap space because we have a young team having lost a ton of big contract veterans. We also have more holes to fill going 8-8 twice along with more cap space.
    Like hell it's not a change. We didn't have much more space than other years, but they CHANGED and booted vets who weren't cutting it but were making big $ like Woodley. They CREATED some space. The old Steelers would have stood pat. And, having MORE SIGNINGS __IS__ a change to the way they were operating previously. How can you say "it's not a change" but admit they made far more signings? That __IS__ a change in itself. How can one claim it is not? Show me an off-season where they had a free agency with the likes of signing Mitchell, Blount, Moore, Moats, et al? Mitchell was a top 10 S, Blount was a top RB in free agency. Hardly "small names." Rooney wasn't going to just stand by and do nothing. He launched his wing tip and shook things up; no longer was it OK to just mill around and stand pat. The wing tip has spoken.
    He went from youngest SB winning coach in history and two SBs in 5 years to 3 playoff misses. Why does it take Rooney to get less cocky?
    Excuse me? He had 3 play off misses? Try two. They were a play off team in 2011, missed them 2012, 2013. That makes two, not three. Tomlin was feel mighty cocky and secure until the last two seasons. And Rooney brought him into his office and let him know that riding the coat tails of 2008 no longer will cut it. In no uncertain terms, he laid it all out and let his black wing tip do the talking.

Yes hyper competitive Bill Cowher whose legacy as a coach was at stake, requires a "wing tip" as motivation to do all he can to win a Super Bowl.
    Yes, Bill is super competitive, YET, his timid play calling costed us how many rings in the past? He would handcuff the offense, in AFCC games. Belichick laughed his way while easily defending the ultra conservative Cowher play calling. It was Rooney who used wing tip pressure to let Bill know that play off failure from being too turtle ball would no longer be accepted.

He won the SB because Rooney threatened his job THEN RETIRES A YEAR LATER?
    He retired BECAUSE he did win a ring. He retired because he knew he wasn't going to get the mega deal after his contract was done. Why did they let Bill's contract just run out? Why wouldn't they give him a new deal after winning a ring? Because when they spoke in general terms, the two sides were miles apart. Bill slept walked through the next season; how obvious was it that Bill knew he was going? How obvious was it that the team knew Bill was going? More obvious than a wing tip going up a rear end.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Yeah, I just woke up from reading it a while ago now. Sounds like the sick one has some experience with the wingtips but not sure learning has occurred there.
    Yes, you are quite correct: I have had to administer some wing tip moments to get a point across to staff. I won't deny it. Oh, and learning occurred for sure. Make no doubt about it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Yes, you are quite correct: I have had to administer some wing tip moments to get a point across to staff. I won't deny it. Oh, and learning occurred for sure. Make no doubt about it.
    That is quite a bizarre interpretation reflected by your comment. Maybe you've popped dat thang a few times too many.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    That is quite a bizarre interpretation reflected by your comment. Maybe you've popped dat thang a few times too many.
    Odd, this is what you posted.
    Sounds like the sick one has some experience with the wingtips but not sure learning has occurred there.
    Obviously, it could be interpreted either way: wing tip kicking on the giving or receiving end. In reality, I have had experience having to do the wing tip boogie, not the other way around. This is why I have observed the impact of Art 2 taking these folks behind the wood shed. The changes in attitude are clearly obvious. It is a sure sign that Rooney had some "quality chats" with those running the team. The change is palatable. You would never see a LeBoo openly admitting that he needs to get young players on the field sooner, had that black wing tip not kicked up in there.

As far as you claiming I may have "popped dat thang" too often, the term means "Do whatever your heart desires" so I am not sure you accomplished your intended jibe. It appears you are saying I am often times very happy. To that, I am guilty as charged.