Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Howard Jones setting himself up to make Steelers' 53 man roster

  1. #1
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    16,042

    Howard Jones setting himself up to make Steelers' 53 man roster

    Howard Jones setting himself up to make Pittsburgh Steelers' 53 man roster

    By Jeff.Hartman on Aug 10 2014



    The linebacker from unknown Shepherd University in Shepherdstown, WV very well could be setting himself up to make the Steelers' 53-man roster as an undrafted rookie free agent.

    I'm sure many of you watching the Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Giants play an exhibition game on Saturday night saw some splash plays by a player wearing jersey number 34 for the Steelers.

    You immediately found the BTSC depth chart with jersey numbers to see the player that recovered two fumbles, and ran one back for a touchdown was Howard Jones from Shepherd University, a Division II school in the Eastern panhandle of West Virginia.

    Shepherd University is not a hot bed for football players, I would know that is my alma mater, but Jones has been on the radar of the NFL for a few years while playing in the Division II ranks, and is a large part why he was given an invitation to the NFL combine this past year.

    Expected to be selected in the late rounds of the draft, Jones went undrafted, but found a home with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

    Considered a long shot to make the 53 man roster, that all could have changed on Saturday night. Jones was opportunistic and made plays, something the Steelers desperately missed in 2013. Where did he make the plays? On special teams.

    Jones has the speed and athleticism to be a special teams ace for the Steelers, and also the raw talent to be a backup at the linebacker position. Just another versatile player that the Steelers found among the island of misfits also known as the NFL undrafted rookie free agents.

    Jones has turned heads after the first preseason game and is setting himself up for a spot on the Steelers' 53 man roster. Whether he takes that roster spot will largely be in part of his play in the final three preseason games on the schedule.

    If Jones is able to complete this feat, then he certainly could be a difference maker one way or another on this 2014 Pittsburgh Steelers team.

    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...teelers-53-man

  2. #2
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,588
    What little I saw...he stood out. He's fast & athletic...it can't be bad having those sorts of players on the roster.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,588
    That said, we are going to have some kind of LB group...J Jones, Timmons, Shazier, Worilds, Spence, Williams, Moats & Howard Jones... that's pretty good depth. I'd almost go as far as saying I'd be comfortable with any of them on the field..
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,144
    It's about time we found a diamond in the rough, like we did with Harrison.

  5. #5
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,999
    I'll take him over Chris Carter.

  6. #6
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    That said, we are going to have some kind of LB group...J Jones, Timmons, Shazier, Worilds, Spence, Williams, Moats & Howard Jones... that's pretty good depth. I'd almost go as far as saying I'd be comfortable with any of them on the field..
    I'm liking Jordan Zumwalt as well, he didn't stand out like Jones, but I thought he played well. If he can provide what Moats can provide I'd keep the younger guy over the 4 or 5 year vet.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  7. #7
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,999
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I'm liking Jordan Zumwalt as well, he didn't stand out like Jones, but I thought he played well. If he can provide what Moats can provide I'd keep the younger guy over the 4 or 5 year vet.

    Pappy
    Moats isn't going anywhere. We need a veteran option as a backup OLB behind the inexperienced Jarvis Jones and the injury prone Jason Worilds. Zumwalt could be kept as a 9th LBer if he shows promise as a special teamer. Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Lawrence Timmons, Jason Worilds, Arthur Moats, Sean Spence, Vince Williams, Howard Jones, and Jordan Zumwalt would be 9 viables LB options for us.

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    That said, we are going to have some kind of LB group...J Jones, Timmons, Shazier, Worilds, Spence, Williams, Moats & Howard Jones... that's pretty good depth. I'd almost go as far as saying I'd be comfortable with any of them on the field..
    You would feel comfortable, with "Howard Jones" on the field, in the regular season? I wouldn't.

    if he has potential, stash him on the PS. No point in losing a player like Zumwalt, because Howard Jones happened to be there when a ball hit the ground, in the 4th quarter of a preseason game.

    BTW, is that Olsavsky, coaching in the Jones picture? Nice!
    Last edited by Shoe; 08-11-2014 at 04:02 PM.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

  9. #9
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    You would feel comfortable, with "Howard Jones" on the field, in the regular season? I wouldn't.

    if he has potential, stash him on the PS. No point in losing a player like Zumwalt, because Howard Jones happened to be there when a ball hit the ground, in the 4th quarter of a preseason game.

    BTW, is that Olsavsky, coaching in the Jones picture? Nice!
    As a fan of Steeler linebackers, I would tell Howard Jones that I'd "Like to Get to Know You Well."

    If he doesn't perform well in the next preseason game, I could tell him "Things Can Only Get Better."

    If he does not make the 53 man roster, I would tell him, "No One is to Blame."

    Yeah, it's 80's new age music, but at least it's better than "Pop That Thang."

  10. #10
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    2,317
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    As a fan of Steeler linebackers, I would tell Howard Jones that I'd "Like to Get to Know You Well."

    If he doesn't perform well in the next preseason game, I could tell him "Things Can Only Get Better."

    If he does not make the 53 man roster, I would tell him, "No One is to Blame."

    Yeah, it's 80's new age music, but at least it's better than "Pop That Thang."

    However, if he does make the squad, it could be "Everlasting Love"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •