Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate the Defense...

Legend

User Info Menu

Rate the Defense...

I didnt get to see much of the game. How did the defense do overall? That first run by the Giants was extremely disappointing... did we correct it or did they continue to run on us?

Rookie

User Info Menu

The defense gave up that long run and then an 80 yard drive with third string players on D...also, the Giants' QB at the time was Curtis Painter, who has started in the NFL....

Legend

User Info Menu

Our starting D looks good, I wouldn't read to much into the long run, it looked like we just made a mistake with a little holding on top. We are going to get after the QB this year for sure!!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I didnt get to see much of the game. How did the defense do overall? That first run by the Giants was extremely disappointing... did we correct it or did they continue to run on us?
    It was corrected. That particular play was a bit of a perfect storm for the D. I think the defense was in a nickel package so there were only 2 D-Linemen in the game (Tuitt, Heyward) without a NT. Eli audibled to a run after Spence went to the edge to blitz. Heyward got caught up in a double-team and Timmons got blocked/held/tackled in the hole. The worst part of it was the secondary not being able to bring him down. Will Allen had a clean look at him and missed.

Other than that play, however, the D was really good and really fast. Even the young secondary looked good (Blake, McCain). The one negative was Isaiah Greene (I think?). He got targeted and beat a few times while Curtis Painter was in the game, including the TD.

Mike Mitchell was laying the wood and Shamarko was a beast. When I say beast, I mean BEAST! He seriously looked like a young Polamalu out there. He was hitting everything and his Polamalu impression came when a back caught a swing pass out of the backfield and Thomas was a heat-seeking missle flying into the backfield. He damn near beat the ball to the RB. Was a great, great play.

Gotta figure out a way to get him on the field this year, maybe at the expense of Will Allen.

Young Josh Mauro was a mixed bag out there but impressed me when the Giants messed up a blocking assignment and Mauro went one on one with an RB. He blew the guy up and threw him into the QB causing a throw right into the ground.

McCullers looked pretty good out there and got more PT than I thought he would. The blew up a few running plays not by tackling the RB, but by walking the OL into the backfield, allowing an LB to hit the back. He also got a TON of support from the sidelines. You could hear and see the veteran Steelers cheering for him.

Zumwalt was all over the place. Had two really big hits and was calling the defense. He's probably behind due to his injury, but I'd love to find a way to keep him around.

Legend

User Info Menu

Last season the Steelers allowed more plays of 50 + yards than any team in the NFL. Disappointing to see it happen right away. They specifically talked about working on not allowing those types of runs when they go to the dime or nickel packages, which they expect to use a lot. Have to have your secondary guys make a play so it's 10, 12, 15 yards, not over 70.

Saying they were in a dime or nickel is simply no excuse when your game plan is to use those formations on a regular basis.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    It was corrected. That particular play was a bit of a perfect storm for the D. I think the defense was in a nickel package so there were only 2 D-Linemen in the game (Tuitt, Heyward) without a NT. Eli audibled to a run after Spence went to the edge to blitz. Heyward got caught up in a double-team and Timmons got blocked/held/tackled in the hole. The worst part of it was the secondary not being able to bring him down. Will Allen had a clean look at him and missed.

Other than that play, however, the D was really good and really fast. Even the young secondary looked good (Blake, McCain). The one negative was Isaiah Greene (I think?). He got targeted and beat a few times while Curtis Painter was in the game, including the TD.

Mike Mitchell was laying the wood and Shamarko was a beast. When I say beast, I mean BEAST! He seriously looked like a young Polamalu out there. He was hitting everything and his Polamalu impression came when a back caught a swing pass out of the backfield and Thomas was a heat-seeking missle flying into the backfield. He damn near beat the ball to the RB. Was a great, great play.

Gotta figure out a way to get him on the field this year, maybe at the expense of Will Allen.

Young Josh Mauro was a mixed bag out there but impressed me when the Giants messed up a blocking assignment and Mauro went one on one with an RB. He blew the guy up and threw him into the QB causing a throw right into the ground.

McCullers looked pretty good out there and got more PT than I thought he would. The blew up a few running plays not by tackling the RB, but by walking the OL into the backfield, allowing an LB to hit the back. He also got a TON of support from the sidelines. You could hear and see the veteran Steelers cheering for him.

Zumwalt was all over the place. Had two really big hits and was calling the defense. He's probably behind due to his injury, but I'd love to find a way to keep him around.
    Thanks, this makes me feel much better.

Legend

User Info Menu

What scares me more than anything on Defense and Offense, for that matter, is our depth. If we accrue injuries this season we could be looking at a sub .500 season. I think depth is what has stopped us from making the playoffs the last 2 seasons and may be more of the same this season.

Dont get me wrong, we have some good players on the 2nd and 3rd teams. That Mauro guy looked good at times. Shamarko did as well.
    Last edited by SteelCrazy; 08-10-2014 at 08:02 PM.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post

nice post steelsnis...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Im rooting for McCullers too because he could end up being a REAL NT for us.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

McCullers is the one I'm really interested in. If he can bypass Fangupo, and end up being the NT behind McLendon/Thomas.. that's enough. Let him develop a year. The 3-4 works best when the NT demands double or triple teams, not shooting gaps & being single blocked. All the LB's will look better if McCullers pans out.

The DL needs to close the pocket- something they rarely did last season. Only Heyward showed he could. Now Tuitt looks promising. The key is still NT, where McLendon still needs to prove he belongs IMO.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Nate Wiggins CB
    2. Ricky Pearsall WR
    3. Blake Fisher OT
    3. Mason McCormick OC
    4. Cedric Gray ILB
    6. Jaden Crumedy DT
    6. Tahj Washington WR