Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most locals believe team will be worse than 8-8?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Most locals believe team will be worse than 8-8?

A buddy of mine said at his FF draft that all the Steeler fans said they don't even think this team will even be .500 this season. I think he is full of crap, or he just so happens to hang out with pessimistic Burg fans (or he is exaggerating in an attempt to be annoying). Do local Steelers fans hold the opinion that this team will still be a non-winning, non-play off team? I find that unlikely. I think this is an 11-5 type of team, maybe even better.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Im optimistic, i think theyve given us a real reason to be.

Of course they wont win preseason games and half of the steelers fans will be like "THIS TEAM SUCKS HELLO 8-8 AGAIN"

But regardless of how they look in the meaningless games that the starters dont give a **** about, this looks like a good squad.

They will lose the coin toss against the browns and Ill change my attitude, ill be like "oh here we go, this game is over"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

As you say, there are lots of reason for optimism.

1.) An OL that isn't terrible. I am not saying they will be an elite line, but if they can just attain a line better than horrible, it will be a huge boost. I thought once Beachum got in there, the OL got better than terrible. Now add in a healthy Foster, Pouncey, DD, and (so they say) a much-improved Gilbert, PLUS, a seemingly top position coach, and we should have at least a decent line.

2.) A much improved attitude. I think once you get too many vets playing on huge contracts, you can just loose that extra drive, that most coaches can't counter act. I believe this team, minus some dudes who were a little too fat and happy, has a much better drive. I can't help but think Woodley was not a positive energy. And, although I don't think Sanders was a "bad apple" so to speak, I don't think his presence was all positive either. He seems a little immature (see his rips on Ben lately) and I believe his absence improves the unit's chemistry.

3.) Ben in his prime, comfortable with offense and a more mature attitude. Bettis said Ben was a leader, although he wasn't in his younger days. A healthy Big Ben, taking it more seriously with a better OL around him and more play makers than ever.....dangerous.

4.) A faster defense with more focus. I think they are all a little embarrassed about last season, and it will show. Jarvis Jones, no longer a rookie, will make noise. Worilds, playing for his next contract ain't gonna be fooling around. The DL should be much improved; maybe the best we have seen in years. I believe that group of guys are hungry and determined. Tuitt is said to be everything they could have hoped for, albeit, still very raw. Shazier is gonna make some crazy plays. Mitchell a big upgrade.

5.) Perhaps a punter who is better than the 2nd worst in the league.

6.) A better focused head coach, who knows the last two seasons were not acceptable.

7.) A much deeper running back unit, with the addition of an insane play maker, and the main back no longer a rookie, with a hammer to give Bell some blows.

Legend

User Info Menu

19-0 baby

Legend

User Info Menu

Thats typical yinzer talk...

Starter

User Info Menu

I think 10-6 or better is what you'll see.

The schedule is pretty friendly. The AFC South has one strong team, three weak teams. The NFC South has one strong team (Saints), two average teams (I expect Carolina to take a step back next year, and Atlanta to recover a bit), and a weak sister (Tampa Bay). The Jets and the Chiefs round out the rest of the schedule, along with your division foes. The Steelers will probably win one they shouldn't, and lose one they shouldn't. Let's say 4-2 in the division, 3-1 against AFC South, 2-2 against NFC South, and 1-1 vs. Jets/Chiefs.

Should be good for a wild-card, maybe win the division if Cincy stumbles a bit and the Steelers eek out an 11th win.
    Last edited by tiproast; 08-06-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    I think 10-6 or better is what you'll see.

The schedule is pretty friendly. The AFC South has one strong team, three weak teams. The NFC South has one strong team (Saints), two average teams (I expect Carolina to take a step back next year, and Atlanta to recover a bit), and a weak sister (Tampa Bay). The Jets and the Chiefs round out the rest of the schedule, along with your division foes. The Steelers will probably win one they shouldn't, and lose one they shouldn't. Let's say 4-2 in the division, 3-1 against AFC South, 2-2 against NFC South, and 1-1 vs. Jets/Chiefs.

Should be good for a wild-card, maybe win the division if Cincy stumbles a bit and the Steelers eek out an 11th win.
    How do you see it with your Pats and the AFC East? I imagine might pull for us to win vs the Jets.

Starter

User Info Menu

yah YINZER talk.. they hate the black head coach.. they want him removed... sad really. i've seen them say it many times.
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    How do you see it with your Pats and the AFC East? I imagine might pull for us to win vs the Jets.
    I think the Pats are loaded this year, but am probably looking at things through Elvis-shaped glasses. They'll win the AFC East fairly easily.

Do you really think you can beat the Jets, though? After all, every player on their roster is the best at his position in the league. Just ask them.

On a more serious note, I don't know why everyone thinks the Jets have this tremendous defense. Last year they were third in the division in points allowed - had they given up one more FG they would have been last. And that's with the Pats missing Wilfork, Tommy Kelly, and Jerod Mayo for most of the year.

If EJ Manuel progresses faster the Geno Smith then I see the Bills taking 2nd place.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post

Do you really think you can beat the Jets, though? After all, every player on their roster is the best at his position in the league. Just ask them.
    very true, Geno Smith alone is going to be 10x better this year...

I agree with you that the Pats* will easily win the AFC East, hope to see you in the AFC Championship game!