Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ILB Vince Williams "upset" about team drafting Ryan Shazier

Legend

User Info Menu

ILB Vince Williams "upset" about team drafting Ryan Shazier

Steelers ILB Vince Williams "upset" about team drafting Ryan Shazier

By Jeff.Hartman on Aug 4 2014

The second year linebacker from Florida State started in 10 of the final 11 games in 2013, but his job was lost in the offseason when the Steelers selected Ohio State LB Ryan Shazier in the first round.

Vince Williams is upset. 'Upset' might be putting it mildly. After all, after starting in 10 of the final 11 games in 2013, Williams owned the ILB position that was left vacant by injured Larry Foote.

What exactly is he upset about? Well, how was he rewarded for his play in 2013? The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted not only an inside linebacker with the 15th overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft, but they selected Ryan Shazier who ran a blazing time at the NFL combine and has been the starter since he first put on a Steelers helmet.

So much for loyalty, but in today's NFL loyalty is for the dogs. It is a what have you done for me lately league, and in this case Williams had his flaws. That doesn't lessen the sting of what he is experiencing.

"I was upset. I felt like I did enough to show them what I was capable of, and obviously, I was going to show some progression because I got the reps throughout the entire season." Williams told Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Williams is getting the chance to show the team he has progressed, but his job is far from secure heading into his sophomore season. In Monday's practice, with Shazier nursing a sore knee, it was Sean Spence that got the nod at inside linebacker, not Williams.

Williams has made plenty of headlines in training camp, sometimes for the wrong reasons. For instance, when he and Le'Veon Bell got into a full fledged fight under the lights at Latrobe Memorial field last Friday night. The other headlines have all been news worthy. Big hits, stellar play and a downright drive and determination that comes with someone that feels slighted.

Williams' ticket to the 53 man roster is most likely going to be on special teams, but for a player with his intelligence and work ethic, you never know what might happen. No one thought he'd be the starting linebacker as a rookie, but there he was getting the majority of the reps.

Stranger things have happened, but it looks as if Williams will be more than ready if his number is called upon again in 2014, and he will be carrying a large chip on his shoulder throughout the process.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-news-times-schedule-tickets-updates/2014/8/4/5969507/steelers-ilb-vince-williams-upset-about-team-drafting-ryan-shazier[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm sure any lesser talented player would be upset and Williams is clearly a lesser talented player
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He was the second worst player on the defense last year (Behing Evander of course)

He was also a rookie, I always thought his ceiling was a 2 down thumper like jasper brinkley, but from all reports he is bringing it in camp. He and Spence have a chance to play if they are good enough....if its too difficult for them to unseat a rookie who may be being rushed into the lineup, who are they to complain?

Good problems to have

Legend

User Info Menu

Bob Labriola @BobLabriola ยท

Steve McLendon and Ryan Shazier are not practicing at all today.

Sean Spence in for Shazier

[URL]https://twitter.com/BobLabriola[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Williams played during our most successful part of the season last yr. For a rookie he showed value... but he's a 2 down ILB...He showed up 10 yrs. Too late
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I wish he was saying he welcomed the challenge of competing with talent.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think he's got the goods, at ILB or OLB. If Jones doesn't kick in this year, Williams should be given a shot there. Haven't heard a whole lot from Jones this camp, other than he's playing better then last year (which isnt hard to do). We have depth inside, but outside we're an injury away from Chris Carter and Arthur Moats. I can't believe thats our depth outside.

Better yet, we need to sign a proven veteran for the outside. JJ goes down and in comes Moats? At best an above average special teams player.

I need to go lie down....
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i think moats may be more than that

i feel good about him, looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    i think moats may be more than that

i feel good about him, looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table
    I hope you're right and I'm wrong
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Moats is a solid starter in the league. One of those guys that can be underappreciated. He's a better signing than let's say keyaron fox who was a solid yet unspectacular player