Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: LeBeau: We are preparing for Manziel week 1

Pro Bowler
    Dick LeBeau addressed the more interesting issues surrounding the Steelers' defense in this wide-ranging interview. Here's the transcript:

Dick LeBeau, Defensive Coordinator, Pittsburgh Steelers

Q: You expressed optimism at the draft that Ryan Shazier and Stephon Tuitt would play a lot. Whatís the update?
    DL: I donít want to overload their plate but I would say theyíre ahead of schedule. Theyíve been very much a pleasure for the whole coaching staff, mostly because of the type of people they are. Theyíre hard workers. They know theyíve got a lot to learn, and thatís not always the case. And theyíre very open to coaching. I donít know when but weíre expecting some pretty good things from those guys.

Q: Is starting plausible?
    DL: I think Ryanís going to start and I could see Tuitt playing an awful lot of snaps.

Q: What has Tuitt shown you?
    DL: Just what we saw from his college career. Heís an exceptional athlete for his size, and he can run. Even though I knew he could run, when I see him in person I am surprised by his endurance and his speed and quickness. I mean, I donít know if Iíve seen a guy that big move like that. Now, does that mean heís going to be a great player? No it doesnít. There are a lot of other things that come in there. He seems willing to try to acquire that knowledge and those skills, so weíll see where he goes. Again, these young guys, I donít want to overload the expectations, but at this stage in the training camp, theyíre doing a good job.

Q: Rookies donít often start. What is separating Ryan? Is it opportunity and ability merging?
    DL: Thatís true. All of the above. The spotís there and he has exceptional athletic ability. I think heís going to be able to make a lot of plays for us.

Q: Are you expecting to see Johnny Manziel in the opener?
    DL: I am. I am. If heís not, weíll play the other guy. Iím going to take a good look at him. Letís put it that way.

Q: Why do you think heíll play?
    DL: He impressed me with his college career. He makes plays, and he was playing against some real talented athletes in that conference on defense, too. What I could see they were getting up there around 45, 50 points a game, so your quarterbackís gotta be doing something right. And he can keep the play alive. Iím not a coach in Cleveland, and I donít know what theyíre going to do, Iím just telling you what Iím doing.

Q: What can you do to change the number of big plays you allowed last year?
    DL: We can play a whole lot better and coach a whole lot better. You hit the nail right on the head. I mean, a minimum of five or six plays wouldíve totally changed the look of our statistical picture. But every play counts and we did give up too many big plays. Thatís always been one of our strengths. We intend to make it (one) again.

Q: Can young guys elevate the energy level, particularly as it pertains to takeaways?
    DL: We have been short at that but I donít think youth has anything to do with that. Iíll take youth any day if they go the right direction. Iím not against youth.

Q: The linebackers are really flowing to the ball. Howís Lawrence Timmons as a leader? And has the revamping of the LB corps met with your satisfaction?
    DL: Yeah weíre going to be fast there. Weíve got four fast guys there and I think weíre coming along with depth. Weíre still looking to develop that. Lawrence is an amazing guy. He played the open inside backer for us all along. We had some injury problems a couple years ago and he went to outside and did a great job for us outside. He played the inside in the third-down defense. And when we had a problem at the strong side, he went to the strong side. Heís a very versatile guy. He really looks at home, to me, on the strong side. I think those two guys are going to give us a lot of speed at a position that doesnít necessarily feature speed. Weíre going to be fast at the inside backer.

Q: Ever have anyone play all of those different linebacker positions?
    DL: I have. I have had several different players but I donít think Iíve ever had anyone play it better than Lawrence has played them.

Q: Surprised he hasnít made a Pro Bowl?
    DL: Iíve said for three years heís been playing at a Pro Bowl level, for three years now. A couple of those years we led the daggone league in defense, and he shouldíve gone. But, again, thatís just my opinion.

Q: Have you noticed whether Jarvis Jones is stronger?
    DL: Yes, yes I have. And he can still get stronger. But heís working on that. He came along with the on-the-job training last year. Part of the reason of our turnaround, particularly defensively, was some of those younger guys that really hadnít started Ė Jason and he and there are others Ė but they all improved because of the way they worked and kept their focus. I think Jarvis Jones is going to be a good outside linebacker.

Q: Do you view last year as an anomaly for Ike Taylor?
    DL: He was playing with some injuries last year. True professional players do that and they donít use it for a crutch. You didnít hear that from Mike (Tomlin), but I could see it. Again, from the middle of the season on, if you look at him itís really close to playing like Ike can play. He looks good at training camp. I think the anomaly part is that he was injured. But we needed him in there. Iím not saying that. But itís going to affect his play a little bit.

Q: Was there a common thread with the big plays you gave up last year?
    DL: Yeah. We were young early in the season and didnít go the right way. It left gaps. When you leave gaps in the National Football League, youíre out of here, baby.

Q: What are we going to see differently with Mike Mitchell back there as opposed to Ryan Clark back there?
    DL: I donít want to compare the two. Theyíre both great players. But Mike is the one weíve got now and I think youíre going to see a really veteran football player, tremendous range, good ball skills, and a good tackler. Heís going to be part of our speed package. When I talk about having a fast defense, heís one of the fast guys. Again, those two safeties weíve got and those four linebackers weíve got, at those positions we can run a race with anybody in the NFL. Problem is, it ainít a race. Itís a football game.

Q: With the depth at those positions, are you ready for up-tempo offenses more than ever?
    DL: Well we better be ready for íem, because thatís what youíre going to see. Nobody huddles in football, not even in high school football. Weíve been working on it from Day One in the coaching sessions, so itís not going to be something theyíre not comfortable with. But weíll have to prove that we can execute and handle it, because youíre going to get it. Youíre going to get it week-in and week-out.

Q: Is the notion of an every-down linebacker like Lawrence starting to fade away?
    DL: Youíre always going to have to have one or two of those guys in there. Not every playís a pass, even though itís third-and-8. Itís good to have a lot of little guys that are really fast running around covering those speed guys, but youíve got to have somebody with a little muscle, too. I think there will always be a place for a bigger backer, but heíll have to be of the ilk of Lawrence, agile enough and fast enough to do some stuff in pass coverage.

Q: Are base defenses suddenly the exception anymore? Are nickel defenses the default setting?
    DL: You can look at the number of snaps. The only thing I would disagree with your statement is Ďsuddenly.í I mean, Iíve been aware of this for five years. We coach that way. We built our team that way. I tell our guys the first day in, everybody in this room is going to have a hat and play a significant amount of snaps; first of all, because of personnel packages, and then youíre going to have some injuries. It isnít anything new at all. Is it a little more dramatic? Sure, because theyíre having success doing that.

Q: Is this a passing trend? Will it be going away any time soon?
    DL: You watch football, donít you? I donít know that itís a trend. I think the (passing) trend would have to be to go back to the old two-back and run it off tackle. I donít think youíre going to see that. Itís here to stay

http://pit.scout.com/story/1430376-q-a-dick-lebeau?s=68

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Yeah well not sure I see it that way. John has every right to do with his board as he pleases. But, I don't get all the excitement. We have a tendency here to jump on a bandwagon when someone doesn't fit a certain profile of poster that we like to see here. You will have multiple members attacking said member...yet they are safe. I could probably pull up over a hundred personal insults from "quality posters" who have found a new whipping boy...making mountains out of mole hills. I personally could care less what he calls LeBeau. I am guilty of having a bit of fun with him from time to time. But, for me a quality poster is someone who brings good debate but also handles disagreement and less agreeable posters well. In that area many of us have work to do.
    We have had our run ins (which I also think is just having some fun) but I agree with you here, pretty much 100%. There is clear hypocrisy alive and well here. On one hand, the group will point out that board rules prohibit ad hominem attacks here, but, they group can flippantly ignore those rules when they turn on their pack attack mentality. Personally, I think double standards are for the feeble. If you want to bother to make rules, then bother to adhere to them. It's akin to politicians who want to punish us for the laws they make, but don't feel they should be compliant to those same laws themselves. For instance, the govt. made laws to punish anyone who aids terrorists in any way, but there are no bigger violators of aiding terrorists than the govt. itself. Those who apply hypocrisy should check themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Like I said, new threads get posted to over 500+ social media followers. When that thread showed up on Twitter and Facebook, it had the misspelling which was done on purpose. Misspellings, spam, and stuff like that happen.... This site and your post is linked to those social media outlets. Not only did you poorly represent yourself, you poorly represented this site. In addition to that, you specifically posted that in spite of myself and Ruthless asking you not to. I'm asking you to have respect for this site, the mods and yourself. Outside of the disrespect for Lebeau, you poorly represented this site and that I obviously have a problem will. I could care less what you call me with some stupid Nazi analogy. Regardless, my position is not open for negotiation because I care how this site is represented to 500+ followers. Yeah, very Nazi-like, I know.
    Well said.....I also do not like the disrespect given by some to our DC....No further comment is necessary.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler
    Like I said, new threads get posted to over 500+ social media followers. When that thread showed up on Twitter and Facebook, it had the misspelling which was done on purpose. Misspellings, spam, and stuff like that happen.... This site and your post is linked to those social media outlets. Not only did you poorly represent yourself, you poorly represented this site. In addition to that, you specifically posted that in spite of myself and Ruthless asking you not to. I'm asking you to have respect for this site, the mods and yourself. Outside of the disrespect for Lebeau, you poorly represented this site and that I obviously have a problem will. I could care less what you call me with some stupid Nazi analogy. Regardless, my position is not open for negotiation because I care how this site is represented to 500+ followers. Yeah, very Nazi-like, I know.
    Whatever steelzHitler09....

Pro Bowler
    OK, questioned answered: You take this maybe a little too seriously. It's an Internet message board, dude. Getting your panties in a wad over misspelling an assistant coach is a pretty interesting study in human psychology. As far as me "poorly representing this site"...I can't even conjure an appropriate response to that, other than, "Wow."

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    OK, I am just checking here, but you _DO_ know this is an Internet message board, right? And I am pretty sure you understand that Dicky doesn't read this site? And that by playfully misspelling his name is not an act that will reach him, anger him, disappoint him in any way, right? And, you _DO_ realize that the same people chiding me over the spelling have personally mangled by screen name on numerous occasions? There is a special brand of hypocrisy floating in the air. I think, maybe, just maybe, some take this all a little too seriously. I am not sure I have seen such a didactic approach over something so trivial.
    We all know exactly what this site is and we also know that you didn't playfully misspell his name. We also know that you and others have been asked nicely to refrain from the behavior of misspelling Lebeau's name. And, as I mentioned in an earlier post, we do tend give long time members more leeway, we don't hide from that. Whether you believe this issue (Lebeau) to be trivial or not isn't really at issue here. You've been asked to refrain from referring to Lebeau in a disrespectful manner; I would think that as an adult, you would be able to handle that task with relative ease.

No one is trying to teach you or instruct about anything, you have simply been asked to stop doing something that the majority of the board doesn't appreciate. As has been mentioned in this thread, stillernation.com will not give a hoot in what manner you refer to Lebeau and in my time on that board I can tell you that you will have plenty of friends in the anti-Lebeau camp. I suggest you give it a try; I think that site would be a good fit for you.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    What don't you see "that way"
    That D1ck Lebeau is respected?
    That D1ck Lebeau has the utmost respect for people, all people?
    That I can't comprehend someone purposely mangling D1ck LeBeau's name?
    That D1ck LeBeau has been around the NFL for 50 years?
    That this behavior won't be tolerated by the owner?
    That I agree with the owner that it should stop?

I'm not sure what you don't see "that way" This seems like a lesson that I may have learned in Kindergarten, to treat others the way you would want to be treated. It's a very easy concept to understand.

Pappy
    I think this is you being histrionic over minutia to tell you the truth. Many people "disrespect" a coach or a player on this board. Many slam players as people without knowing the full story...dismiss players as people because of a past...or make up names for players based on performance...ie Bustamalu. So, that was a precedent long before sick beats got here. This isn't church, it's a sports message board. Do I agree with sickbeats on many issues? No. Do I like his style? Not really. But, I choose not to judge him as a person or do the very thing I am accusing him of. If John wants him gone...fine. If you want to politic for his banning so be it...that's your right. But, because I don't like a posters style (and there are some vets here I don't really care for their style)...it's not a reason to ban someone.

When it's all said and done you have got yourself worked up over something that doesn't matter. I don't see LeBeau here complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I think this is you being histrionic over minutia to tell you the truth. Many people "disrespect" a coach or a player on this board. Many slam players as people without knowing the full story...dismiss players as people because of a past...or make up names for players based on performance...ie Bustamalu. So, that was a precedent long before sick beats got here. This isn't church, it's a sports message board. Do I agree with sickbeats on many issues? No. Do I like his style? Not really. But, I choose not to judge him as a person or do the very thing I am accusing him of. If John wants him gone...fine. If you want to politic for his banning so be it...that's your right. But, because I don't like a posters style (and there are some vets here I don't really care for their style)...it's not a reason to ban someone.

When it's all said and done you have got yourself worked up over something that doesn't matter. I don't see LeBeau here complaining.
    No one mentioned banning Sick Beats; I did mention that there is a Steeler board out there that doesn't give a hoot how you refer to one another, a DC, a coach, an OC or player, you can call them whatever makes you happy. Here it's a little different and always has been; I think you know this. You're right many players have been slammed on this forum and we haven't asked members to stop (Sean Mahan comes to mind). Of course, these players haven't earned the cache that Lebeau has earned during his tenure in the NFL and particularly as a Steeler to many Steeler fans.

This is my final response on this issue and that is that I simply wish Sick Beats would stop or find his niche elsewhere. I'll leave the consequences to Steelz if Sick Beats decides that he can't help himself.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    No one mentioned banning Sick Beats; I did mention that there is a Steeler board out there that doesn't give a hoot how you refer to one another, a DC, a coach, an OC or player, you can call them whatever makes you happy. Here it's a little different and always has been; I think you know this. You're right many players have been slammed on this forum and we haven't asked members to stop (Sean Mahan comes to mind). Of course, these players haven't earned the cache that Lebeau has earned during his tenure in the NFL and particularly as a Steeler to many Steeler fans.

This is my final response on this issue and that is that I simply wish Sick Beats would stop or find his niche elsewhere. I'll leave the consequences to Steelz if Sick Beats decides that he can't help himself.

Pappy
    This will be my last comment on this subject as well. I believe all people are deserving of respect...not just LeBeau because they are all human beings. So there is that. And I agree this place is different but it's not a church youth group. It's a place where guys can be guys...and not everyone likes one another. People disagree, there is some name calling and it's far from consistent in how rules are enforced. So, when presented with someone like sick beats...let him speak. If he is truly a fool like most point out...he will prove that and others can ignore him if they wish. There are some posters here when I read their name I just skip past the comments. It really is that easy.

Aaron Smith in camp talking with our French DC...