Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arnfelt isn't a long shot anymore

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Zumwalt is way behind, just now able to practice. That doesn't bode well for his chances to make the team.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Zumwalt is way behind, just now able to practice. That doesn't bode well for his chances to make the team.
    Not on a team that is loaded at LB right now: Timmons, JJ, Shazier, Worilds, Spence, V. Williams, Garvin, Moats.

Moats started last year for Buffalo as did Williams for us. Garvin saw some playing time last year and LB coach, Keith Butler is on record as saying... someday Garvin will be a starter in this league. That is high praise. Spence was drafted to be a starter and could prove he's capable of such a role in this league. If that is the case, you have 4 guys that could be starter quality as backups. How about that for some depth? Also, what about this Howard Jones kid? He seems to be having an awesome training camp especially in pass rush drills.

At this point, I don't see any way that Zumwalt is making this team. It's not going to happen.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Special teams is going to have a lot of LBs on it

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Yeah I think he means it's pretty clear after only Mitchell's first practice, that he's a definite upgrade speed-wise from Ryan Clark. Other than that, you can't really judge because it's only been one practice.

I think we can all agree, however that the only area that Clark was lacking late in his career was speed. His instincts and physicality were all big pluses. If Mitchell can match those attributes, plus add speed to the mix, it'll be a huge upgrade.
    The other big thing that Mitchell can add is takeaway ability. Clark had a high of 3 INTs (in 2009), and other than that, had 1 or 2 yearly. I liked Clark, a lot, but he did not generate many INTs. I Mitchell can improve on that it should greatly help the D.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    How has Nick Williams looked? I suspect that Arnfelt, Williams, Mauro, Fangupo and McCullers are competing for 2-3 roster spots.
    Williams when he has practiced has been quiet. The depth behind Heyward, Thomas and Tuitt is wide open as of today. Beyond those three imho it's wide open.
    McCullers has had some very good moments but I can't say he is a lock to make it. The evaluation process is still going on so until 8/26 when we first start cutting and go to 75 everyone is safe.
    Regarding backers we seem to have a lot of talent there and it would not shock me if we keep 9 on the final roster.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There is a chance Carrington wont make the rams roster with them having Long, Quinn, Hayes, Langford, Brockers, Donald, and Sam....hes a bit of a tweener for them and they are loaded

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    How has Nick Williams looked? I suspect that Arnfelt, Williams, Mauro, Fangupo and McCullers are competing for 2-3 roster spots.
    I read a funny quote on another Steelers site that quoted a scout saying something to the effect of

"If you could put Jarvis Jones' talent into Nick Williams body...you'd have an all-timer..."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Not on a team that is loaded at LB right now: Timmons, JJ, Shazier, Worilds, Spence, V. Williams, Garvin, Moats.

Moats started last year for Buffalo as did Williams for us. Garvin saw some playing time last year and LB coach, Keith Butler is on record as saying... someday Garvin will be a starter in this league. That is high praise. Spence was drafted to be a starter and could prove he's capable of such a role in this league. If that is the case, you have 4 guys that could be starter quality as backups. How about that for some depth? Also, what about this Howard Jones kid? He seems to be having an awesome training camp especially in pass rush drills.

At this point, I don't see any way that Zumwalt is making this team. It's not going to happen.
    With the LBs we have, we may actually have some "trade bait" for teams looking for help at ILB. Really don't see Williams as anything other than a serviceable back-up.

Best thing for Zumwalt would be to get onto the P.S. for the season.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I read a funny quote on another Steelers site that quoted a scout saying something to the effect of

"If you could put Jarvis Jones' talent into Nick Williams body...you'd have an all-timer..."
    Guess that means that Jones didn't get "bigger and stronger" in the off season. We know he likely didn't get faster.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Kind of odd to compare the bodies of a linebacker and a defensive tackle. I could just as easily say if you put Dri Archer's talent into Daniel McCullers' body, you'd have a Marvel superhero.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.