Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Wing and a prayer

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

1) Its a common misconception that you need to be a choir boy to be a steeler
    2) Its punting...even if he was a problem child as a punter, we could roll the dice until something happens and find another one in the middle of the year, like every year for the last what? 5? But if nothing happens, maybe wing is the real deal and we could have a real life top 5 punter to rely on

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'll give Wing a chance to prove himself. Podlesh will be available, however he is anot an improvement to our punting woes. Wing could be.
    I agree about Wing and Podlesh, however, I can't see the Steelers taking a punter that could potentially be a distraction with off field antics. The position doesn't warrant the chance, the risk outweighs the benefit, just my opinion. I'd love for Wing to get it together and be the punter with the 5 second hang time, outstanding situational punting and top notch accuracy, I just don't think he will be able to control himself. He seems to relish the limelight a little too much for being a punter.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I agree about Wing and Podlesh, however, I can't see the Steelers taking a punter that could potentially be a distraction with off field antics. The position doesn't warrant the chance, the risk outweighs the benefit, just my opinion. I'd love for Wing to get it together and be the punter with the 5 second hang time, outstanding situational punting and top notch accuracy, I just don't think he will be able to control himself. He seems to relish the limelight a little too much for being a punter.

Pappy
    Hes a punter, not a QB.

Punters arent distractions. No one cares. Vanderjact and Janikowski are/were both heavy drinkers and no one gives a **** as long as they can make FGs

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Hes a punter, not a QB.

Punters arent distractions. No one cares. Vanderjact and Janikowski are/were both heavy drinkers and no one gives a **** as long as they can make FGs
    All I'm saying is I don't believe the Steelers will allow a punter or kicker to become any type of distraction, they'll cut bait and find another. Jeff Reed became a distraction and was probably his undoing as a Steeler.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    All I'm saying is I don't believe the Steelers will allow a punter or kicker to become any type of distraction, they'll cut bait and find another. Jeff Reed became a distraction and was probably his undoing as a Steeler.

Pappy
    Jeff Reed was always a weird guy doing weird ****. His undoing was the paltry 68% of FGs he made in his last year as a steeler, when usually he was in the mid-high 80%

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers would keep a punter who is snorting lines in the bathroom if he performs on the field. (Insert Johnny Football joke)
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Some guys just need a turning point in their life and change. He got married and now has a kid. Maybe the light went on and he becomes a solid citizen.
    Chadman got married and has a kid, but he still refers to himself in the third person.

Russell Crowe got married and has a kid, but he still gets into random brawls.

You expect an Aussie like Wing to change his ways because he gets married and has a kid?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I don't see why the Steelers wouldn't look at a guy they didn't have to draft. Why not give the guy a shot? He screws up, cut him and make him a cautionary tale to others. I like it.
    I don't mind it, but I am just surprised because I still feel they aren't quite over the PR sting of the Ben rampage and Holmes hippie lettuce run. Here is a guy who is clearly a party monster, totally selfish and just potential trouble in just about every direction.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

1) Its a common misconception that you need to be a choir boy to be a steeler
    2) Its punting...even if he was a problem child as a punter, we could roll the dice until something happens and find another one in the middle of the year, like every year for the last what? 5? But if nothing happens, maybe wing is the real deal and we could have a real life top 5 punter to rely on
    Finding punters in the middle of the season has not worked out for them. We were 2nd to last in net punting yards last year. We were nearly a whopping 10 yards less avg. than the leading punter. That is truly loco.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I had him as the best draftable punter since sepulveda. Not surprised he went undrafted though
    Hey, when LSU tells you to beat it, when you are a great player at your position, in the hyper competitive SEC, you KNOW the guy was a total head case.