Thread: Steelers release initial depth chart

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers release initial depth chart

Steelers release initial depth chartPosted 4 hours ago
    Bob Labriola
    Steelers.com
    @BobLabriola
    There are few surprises in the team's preseason-opening two-deep depth chart
    LATROBE, Pa. – It has been released because the NFL requires one in advance of the preseason, and it can change in an instant because that’s just the nature of things at this stage of the process.

With that in mind, the Steelers have released their first depth chart of 2014, and mostly it serves as confirmation of what already is known.

VIEW GALLERY | 34 Photos
    PHOTOS: 2014 Steelers Training Camp - Day 7
    On offense, Markus Wheaton is listed as the starting wide receiver opposite Antonio Brown, with the rest of the starters on that unit being exactly as expected.

Staying with the receivers, Lance Moore is listed as the primary backup to Wheaton, and Justin Brownis the primary backup to Antonio Brown. Based on this, it would appear that as of the issuing of this initial depth chart Justin Brown is currently the team’s No. 4 receiver.

Darrius Heyward-Bey and then Martavis Bryant are behind Justin Brown, and Derek Moye and Kashif Moore are behind Lance Moore.

Along the offensive line, the backups are Mike Adams at left tackle, Chris Hubbard at left guard, Cody Wallace at center, Bryant Browning at right guard, and Guy Whimper at right tackle.

Michael Palmer is the No. 3 tight end, behind Heath Miller and Matt Spaeth; LeGarrette Blount is behind Le’Veon Bell at running back, with Dri Archercurrently No. 3 and Tauren Poole No. 4. Will Johnson is listed as the starting fullback, even though he has been spending the bulk of his time this camp working with the tight ends.

The starting 11 on defense is the same group that opened minicamp, with rookie Ryan Shazier at inside linebacker next to Lawrence Timmons, and Mike Mitchell as the starting free safety despite being on the physically unable to perform list.

Rookie Stephon Tuitt is Cam Heyward’s backup at one defensive end spot, with Brian Arnfeldt behind Cam Thomas at the other end. Hebron Fangupo is listed as the No. 2 nose tackle on this initial depth chart behind Steve McLendon.

Vince Williams is listed behind Shazier at the LILB position, with Sean Spenceat No. 3 there. Terence Garvin is behind Timmons, with rookie Jordan Zumwalt the No. 3 at that spot. Chris Carter, behind starter Jason Worilds at LOLB, and Arthur Moats, behind Jarvis Jones at ROLB, are the backups at outside linebacker.

At cornerback, it’s William Gay behind Cortez Allen at LCB and Brice McCainbehind Ike Taylor at RCB. Antwon Blake is third at LCB, and Isaiah Green is third at RCB. As for the safety positions, Shamarko Thomas is listed as the No. 2 strong safety behind Troy Polamalu, with Will Allen as the No. 2 free safety behind Mitchell, which explains why Allen lines up with the starters instead of Thomas as Mitchell continues to work his way back from the PUP list.

At punter, Adam Podlesh and Brad Wing are listed as co-starters. Archer is the kickoff returner, with Antonio Brown as the punt returner. Archer is No. 2 at punt returner, and Wheaton is No. 2 at kickoff returner.

The Steelers’ preseason opener will be against the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium on Saturday, Aug. 9, and the next week’s depth chart could include some changes based on what happens that night

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We are one injury away from seeing Bryce McCain or Antwon Blake on a regular basis, except I imagine Shark jumping in there ahead of those guys.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Was wondering what an initia was...
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm itching to start watching the Steelers again. Excited for these preseason games!
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Was wondering what an initia was...
    Funny it was all there when I hit post .... I think

Fixed it for you
    Last edited by fordfixer; 08-03-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Depth chart released.

[url]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-release-initial-depth-chart/6fba2ec5-f959-49f9-b114-4e64749910a5[/url]

No big surprises. Wheaton named #2. Moye looking to not make roster. Archer #3 at HB. In case anyone was wondering if any of the TEs after Miller were showing much, all you need to know is Spaeth remains at #2....in other words, all the rest of the TEs must all suck.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It's all jumbled up, I'd rather look at a chart of positions instead. Ohh well.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Sean Spence as a 3 behind Shazier is a bit of a surprise. I thought he might be a 2 behind Timmons.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I think Sean Spence as a 3 behind Shazier is a bit of a surprise. I thought he might be a 2 behind Timmons.
    Spence on a half a leg is better than a healthy Garvin in my mind. I suspect that if Spence makes it out of camp healthy, then he will be a primary backup ILB alongside Vince Williams.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Spence on a half a leg is better than a healthy Garvin in my mind. I suspect that if Spence makes it out of camp healthy, then he will be a primary backup ILB alongside Vince Williams.
    agreed with both you guys... was surprised and HOPE he makes it out of camp and HOPE he looks solid... you can only hope that if his leg feels good enough to play that he's expected to improve as time passes...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville