Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How can finding a decent punter be so difficult?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

How can finding a decent punter be so difficult?

I still just don't get it; this team seems unable to find a field a punter who isn't bottom of the barrel. Even when they used a 4th-round pick on one (short of Ray Guy, that is way too high a pick for a punter) they still couldn't find any long term success at finding a consistent punter. It is crazy to conceive, that a position usually filled by undrafted free agents, or at most, signing a free agent, that this team just can't find even an average punter. And a lot of this game comes down to field position; when you have punters with pop gun legs, it's just another obstacle you have to overcome to win.

McBriar was 31st in the NFL in net yards. 31st. For a team who hangs its hat on defense and not letting the other guys score, this is pathetic. How can they not find a better punter than 35 yards average. St. Louis' punter average 44.2....almost a 10 yards per punt difference. With both teams usually punting several times a game, you could be talking a net loss of 50 yards a game with our punter vs. our opponents.

If we want to start posting winning records again, we might want to look to improve our punter.

[url]http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/punting/sort/netAvgPuntYards[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we should trade up in next year's draft to get a good punter...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I think we should trade up in next year's draft to get a good punter...
    Other teams don't seem to need to draft one at all. But some how this team can't figure out how to get a decent one. It's loco.

Legend

User Info Menu

Punters that can win the battle of field position consistently are few and far between.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

FYI: Daniel Sepulveda wasn't even the first punter off the board that year. There was another punter who was taken earlier in the 4th round. His name? Adam Podlesh.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Karma seems to follow teams. Browns always stink, Bengals always have their issues, Patriots cheat, Jets are still living like Namath was just yesterday.... And the Steelers always seem to have had trouble with punters and special teams.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I loved Sepulveda, he was actually a great punter his knee just couldnt hold up. I thought he was significantly better than Podlesh that year though.

I have very high hopes for Wing, he has a huge leg. If he puts it all together he could be one of the best in the league

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    Punters that can win the battle of field position consistently are few and far between.
    Guys who only punt for a 35 net average are not common either, but that's what we have, and it's not good and leads to more losing.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I loved Sepulveda, he was actually a great punter his knee just couldnt hold up. I thought he was significantly better than Podlesh that year though.

I have very high hopes for Wing, he has a huge leg. If he puts it all together he could be one of the best in the league
    Being on juice often makes body parts fall apart. DS was super juiced. Pgh should have realized it instead of blowing a 4th round pick on him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Being on juice often makes body parts fall apart. DS was super juiced. Pgh should have realized it instead of blowing a 4th round pick on him.
    Sounds like an awful lot of guessing