Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers have money to spend, but mulling who is worthy

Steelers have money to spend, but mulling who is worthy

Steelers have money to spend, but mulling who is worthy

By The Sports Xchange

LATROBE, Pa. -- The Pittsburgh Steelers have somewhere around $6 million in salary cap space and team president Art Rooney II declared one reason they would not negotiate an extension to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's contract is so they could try to sign some of their players who enter the final year of their deal.

But, who?

The Steelers have five starters on the final year of their contract and they may not sign any of them to extensions - unless Rooney painted himself into a corner by saying so.

They really have no interest in signing cornerback Cortez Allen or kicker Shaun Suisham at the moment. They offered linebacker Jason Worilds a multi-year deal a long time ago that he turned down and they say privately that was their best and last offer. Worilds has a one-year transition contract worth almost $10 million. Ike Taylor took a pay cut for the final year of his deal from $7 million to $2.5 million, so they won't try to extend him.

That leaves right tackle Marcus Gilbert. He started 13 games as a rookie, then the first five in 2012 before a right ankle injury put him on the shelf for the rest of the season. He came back to start all 16 games at right tackle last season. He and Allen would seem to be the most logical young players to extend, but the Steelers do not have a high opinion of Allen. They would like to see Gilbert step it up.

"We still have a group of pending free agents for the 2015 offseason and we still have a good four weeks to try to get something done and that's where we are right now," said general manager Kevin Colbert, who declined to speculate how many they might sign to contracts, if any.

"How much and how many is hard to say because one deal can affect another deal. We'd like to be able to do as much business as we can within our restraints time-wise."

That number and amount of money, however, could end up being closer to zero.

-- Brett Keisel remains unsigned and on the radar of the Steelers as they try to determine what they might have at defensive end. They signed free agent nose tackle/end Cam Thomas and drafted end Stephon Tuitt in the second round. Cameron Heyward has a lock on Keisel's old job at right end, where the 12-year vet started the past eight seasons.

"There have been times when we've brought back veteran players due to injury," general manager Kevin Colbert said. "We won't eliminate anybody. If we eliminated a player, we always tell a player don't keep us in your thought process."

-- The once-contentious relationship between quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and offensive coordinator Todd Haley has done a 180.

"Very rarely in life in general do you meet someone and hit it off and you're best friends right away,"

Roethlisberger said. "There's always a feeling-out period, especially when you have people who are guarded because of their profession, just who we are.

"But I think we are friends. Obviously, work is always first, but I think we're getting along great."

-- The Steelers will retire the No. 75 worn by Hall of Famer Joe Greene during a ceremony before their Nov. 2 night game against Baltimore at Heinz Field. The only other number retired by the Steelers, 50 years ago, was Hall of Famer Ernie Stautner's No. 70.

"Joe was the cornerstone of the Steel Curtain," Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney said. "This isn't something you can do for everyone. He was a catalyst and to retire his number is something we feel is a special thing. I am so happy we are honoring Joe this way."

-- RB Le'Veon Bell missed the first two practices in pads, including Wednesday, because of a tightness in his hamstring. It is not considered serious and Bell said it was precautionary. He missed all but four snaps of his rookie preseason last year because of a bruised knee and then a sprained foot, which caused him to miss the first three regular-season games also.

-- LB Sean Spence held up in his first practices in pads at Saint Vincent College since a grotesque knee injury in the final preseason game of his rookie year, 2012. Spence spent his rookie season on IR and last season on PUP and IR. He practiced once under the PUP rules at midseason 2013, but then broke a finger and that was that. He was a third-round pick in 2012.

-- SS Shamarko Thomas (5-9, 217) bowled over OT mike Adams (6-7, 323) during a bull rush in live 11-on-11 practices.

-- G Ramon Foster rejoined his teammates at practice Wednesday. He had been excused from the start of training camp because of the sudden death of his mother.

-- TE Rob Blanchflower, the Steelers' seventh-round draft pick, was on the sideline Wednesday with his left ankle in a walking boot. He has a high ankle sprain.

BATTLE OF THE WEEK: Rookie defensive end Stephon Tuitt, the team's second-round draft pick from Notre Dame, was taking some snaps with the first team. He and veteran Cam Thomas are competing to start on the left side. Thomas was signed as a free agent from San Diego, where he lost his job as starting nose tackle late last season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steeler...0440--nfl.html

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    'but the Steelers do not have a high opinion of Allen'..... who said this?
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Hall of Famer
    The Sports Xchange @ yahoo...in other words someone similar to one of us
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend
    As much as I like Kiesel, not interested in him coming back to take reps away from Tuitt or McCullers who are the future. Zero interest in Harrison, he left and needs to stay gone.

Only thing I would like them to consider spending money on would be solid back up CB or OL.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Don't spend it at all this year, keep it in the bank and see how some of the players pan out this year. I don't know where the writer heard that the Steelers have no interest in Allen, he was their best CB last year. If you're spending the money, this would be the place to spend it, IMO. There's no need to spend money, unless you have a good reason to do so, Allen or nothing in my opinion.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 07-31-2014 at 09:03 AM.

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    As much as I like Kiesel, not interested in him coming back to take reps away from Tuitt or McCullers who are the future. Zero interest in Harrison, he left and needs to stay gone.

Only thing I would like them to consider spending money on would be solid back up CB or OL.
    Keisel is still a productive player though, he should be a rotational guy but really so should tuitt at this stage...if he can rotate in we should be THRILLED with his progress.

Cortez allen is an interesting situation to watch, maybe the just dont like what they see...he has his moments but he struggles mightlily on his inside technique.

Theres a rule in the CBA about the cap and if they dont spend the $6 million this year it will offset against the woodley hit next year making his cap hit around $1 million and essentially making us free and clear.

Harrison would still be a guy Id like too. One of my all time favorites and he can still be productive at any LB spot (because we know how durable Worilds is)

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Don't spend it at all this year, keep it in the bank and see how some of the players pan out this year. I don't know where the writer heard that the Steelers have no interest in Allen, he was their best CB last year. If you're spending the money, this would be the place to spend it, IMO. There's no need to spend money, unless you have a good reason to do so, Allen or nothing in my opinion.

Pappy
    It could be argued that Willie Gay was their best corner last year... but I agree.. probably would be best to hold on to that extra few million for now and see how this year shakes out.

I think an extension should be given to Worilds or Allen. Then sign Valasco OG (spelling?) if healthy.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    I think an extension should be given to Worilds or Allen. Then sign Valasco OG (spelling?) if healthy.
    I think Velasco signed with another team a week or so ago.. Would've been nice to have him back though. Will be interesting to see how the situation with Worilds and Allen play out also.

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    Velasco has been signed by the Panthers and is not available, unless, he's been cut already.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll