Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you rank Brown in all-time Steelers WRs?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Holmes performance in the SB might get him ranked in the top 5 for me. We don't get #6 without him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I am with Hawaiian on my top three:
    1) Stallwoth
    2) Ward
    3) Swann

I have Lipps and Brown tied for fourth at this point. Brown has a great chance to move up the list.
    That looks right to me as well.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I was a big critic of his ability to score....first half of last season he had 2 TDs in 8 games, and both came in a blowout loss to chicago.

He turned it on (along with the rest of the team) scoring 6 in the final 8 games. I would fully expect him to get double digits this year
    I was never a "critic" of Browns game at all (I do HATE the need to celebrate every 4 yard 1st down catch ).
    But as a player I always saw his value and LOVED the signing because I thought we wisely extended his BEFORE his true value was exposed. He was paid so little and was still a couple of years from free agency so he could not help but take it. It looked like a risk but turned out to be a steal.

My only point is that to me he is kinda a faster Wes Welker in his prime. He is impossible to cover underneath because he flashes open with his quickness, sweet fakes, and sharp cuts. He is GREAT at that, which is very valuable, it prevents three and outs. I just don't see him as a touchdown making machine.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was never a "critic" of Browns game at all (I do HATE the need to celebrate every 4 yard 1st down catch ).
    But as a player I always saw his value and LOVED the signing because I thought we wisely extended his BEFORE his true value was exposed. He was paid so little and was still a couple of years from free agency so he could not help but take it. It looked like a risk but turned out to be a steal.

My only point is that to me he is kinda a faster Wes Welker in his prime. He is impossible to cover underneath because he flashes open with his quickness, sweet fakes, and sharp cuts. He is GREAT at that, which is very valuable, it prevents three and outs. I just don't see him as a touchdown making machine.
    I was comparing him to Randle Els fear of the endzone...which i am glad he seems to have overcome.

Brown has a very rare ability to not lose any speed in and out of his cuts....its very jerry rice or marvin harrison-esque. Very high praise i know, but its not a common ability. Not the fastest guy, but hes very good after the catch. He isnt much of a deep threat like wallace, he doesnt run a slant quite like holmes, but hes a very well rounded player.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I was comparing him to Randle Els fear of the endzone...which i am glad he seems to have overcome.

Brown has a very rare ability to not lose any speed in and out of his cuts....its very jerry rice or marvin harrison-esque. Very high praise i know, but its not a common ability. Not the fastest guy, but hes very good after the catch. He isnt much of a deep threat like wallace, he doesnt run a slant quite like holmes, but hes a very well rounded player.
    I was going to compare him to Holmes. I think Brown is a bit more slippery with his cutting ability and his overall quickness while Holmes was faster and had a rare ability to take a slant pass to the house.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I was going to compare him to Holmes. I think Brown is a bit more slippery with his cutting ability and his overall quickness while Holmes was faster and had a rare ability to take a slant pass to the house.
    Holmes slant route was a thing of beauty, absolutely fearless running them.

I liked holmes as an outside guy. A tough assignment on slants and outs but had the speed to get deep. Browns best spot is without a doubt in the slot, he is an absolute nightmare having a 2 way go on every play while he gets to dictate his own matchups. But he did prove to have legit ability at split end last season and do it at a pro bowl level.

Would like to add another guy capable of playing split end to allow brown to move around more, maybe Bryant is that guy but i have my doubts.

Will be watching Justin brown closely though

Legend

User Info Menu

I get your point from a returner perspective but I am perplexed that with his clear ability to juke people and make them miss how he does not actually score more receiving TDs.
    Probably because our OL was trash last year, our RB's were trash 2 years ago.... and Ben and Haley are finally figuring out how to get this offense going.

Backup

User Info Menu

Lipps wasn't a Steeler long enough to rank him real high but he sure was a fan favorite and fun to watch. One has to wonder if his numbers were a bit inflated because we were trailing a lot in those games.

Stallworth and Ward are the 2 best without question and Swann is 3rd without question.

Burress - NO WAY! Dude left us for money and was lazy! He got in trouble in New York for not showing up to team meetings and dude did prison time. Doesn't deserve to be on our list.
    Holmes - See above. NO! He had great playoffs but if this board keeps archives you could easily look back and find those posts where Holmes is often lazy on routes and is never really open.

Brown - He could easily finish 4th when his time is done. Add in his special teams plays and we can debate his place in the top 4 very easy.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Ward and Stallworth were models of consistency and production...

Swann practically redefined the position...when I was growing up and playing backyard football, I can't recall anyone pretending to be John Stallworth, as great as he was...the backyard was full of little Swannies...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Oh, and as for Brown?

I love him as a player...but he must put together a few more comparable seasons to last year before I consider him in the top three...