Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 67

Thread: Where do you rank Brown in all-time Steelers WRs?

  1. #11
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,653
    Holmes performance in the SB might get him ranked in the top 5 for me. We don't get #6 without him.

  2. #12
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    22,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I am with Hawaiian on my top three:
    1) Stallwoth
    2) Ward
    3) Swann

    I have Lipps and Brown tied for fourth at this point. Brown has a great chance to move up the list.
    That looks right to me as well.


    To JAX 1.22 (780 pts)
    To PIT 2.36 (540 pts) + 3.67 (255 pts) = 795 pts

    2.36 OLB Eli Harold 6'3" 247 Virginia
    2.56 TE Clive Walford 6'4" 251 Miami
    3.67 CB Alex Carter 6'0" 196 Stanford
    3.87 CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu 5'9" 192 Oregon
    4.121 OT Donovan Smith 6'6" 338 Penn St
    5.160 FS Adrian Amos 6'0" 218 Penn St
    6.199 WR Stefon Diggs 6'0" 195 Maryland
    6.212 OLB Kyle Emanuel 6'3" 255 North Dakota St
    7.239 RB John Crockett 6'0" 217 North Dakota St

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I was a big critic of his ability to score....first half of last season he had 2 TDs in 8 games, and both came in a blowout loss to chicago.

    He turned it on (along with the rest of the team) scoring 6 in the final 8 games. I would fully expect him to get double digits this year
    I was never a "critic" of Browns game at all (I do HATE the need to celebrate every 4 yard 1st down catch ).
    But as a player I always saw his value and LOVED the signing because I thought we wisely extended his BEFORE his true value was exposed. He was paid so little and was still a couple of years from free agency so he could not help but take it. It looked like a risk but turned out to be a steal.

    My only point is that to me he is kinda a faster Wes Welker in his prime. He is impossible to cover underneath because he flashes open with his quickness, sweet fakes, and sharp cuts. He is GREAT at that, which is very valuable, it prevents three and outs. I just don't see him as a touchdown making machine.

  4. #14
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I was never a "critic" of Browns game at all (I do HATE the need to celebrate every 4 yard 1st down catch ).
    But as a player I always saw his value and LOVED the signing because I thought we wisely extended his BEFORE his true value was exposed. He was paid so little and was still a couple of years from free agency so he could not help but take it. It looked like a risk but turned out to be a steal.

    My only point is that to me he is kinda a faster Wes Welker in his prime. He is impossible to cover underneath because he flashes open with his quickness, sweet fakes, and sharp cuts. He is GREAT at that, which is very valuable, it prevents three and outs. I just don't see him as a touchdown making machine.
    I was comparing him to Randle Els fear of the endzone...which i am glad he seems to have overcome.

    Brown has a very rare ability to not lose any speed in and out of his cuts....its very jerry rice or marvin harrison-esque. Very high praise i know, but its not a common ability. Not the fastest guy, but hes very good after the catch. He isnt much of a deep threat like wallace, he doesnt run a slant quite like holmes, but hes a very well rounded player.

  5. #15
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,653
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I was comparing him to Randle Els fear of the endzone...which i am glad he seems to have overcome.

    Brown has a very rare ability to not lose any speed in and out of his cuts....its very jerry rice or marvin harrison-esque. Very high praise i know, but its not a common ability. Not the fastest guy, but hes very good after the catch. He isnt much of a deep threat like wallace, he doesnt run a slant quite like holmes, but hes a very well rounded player.
    I was going to compare him to Holmes. I think Brown is a bit more slippery with his cutting ability and his overall quickness while Holmes was faster and had a rare ability to take a slant pass to the house.

  6. #16
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I was going to compare him to Holmes. I think Brown is a bit more slippery with his cutting ability and his overall quickness while Holmes was faster and had a rare ability to take a slant pass to the house.
    Holmes slant route was a thing of beauty, absolutely fearless running them.

    I liked holmes as an outside guy. A tough assignment on slants and outs but had the speed to get deep. Browns best spot is without a doubt in the slot, he is an absolute nightmare having a 2 way go on every play while he gets to dictate his own matchups. But he did prove to have legit ability at split end last season and do it at a pro bowl level.

    Would like to add another guy capable of playing split end to allow brown to move around more, maybe Bryant is that guy but i have my doubts.

    Will be watching Justin brown closely though

  7. #17
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    15,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I get your point from a returner perspective but I am perplexed that with his clear ability to juke people and make them miss how he does not actually score more receiving TDs.
    Probably because our OL was trash last year, our RB's were trash 2 years ago.... and Ben and Haley are finally figuring out how to get this offense going.

  8. #18
    Lipps wasn't a Steeler long enough to rank him real high but he sure was a fan favorite and fun to watch. One has to wonder if his numbers were a bit inflated because we were trailing a lot in those games.

    Stallworth and Ward are the 2 best without question and Swann is 3rd without question.

    Burress - NO WAY! Dude left us for money and was lazy! He got in trouble in New York for not showing up to team meetings and dude did prison time. Doesn't deserve to be on our list.
    Holmes - See above. NO! He had great playoffs but if this board keeps archives you could easily look back and find those posts where Holmes is often lazy on routes and is never really open.

    Brown - He could easily finish 4th when his time is done. Add in his special teams plays and we can debate his place in the top 4 very easy.

  9. #19
    Ward and Stallworth were models of consistency and production...

    Swann practically redefined the position...when I was growing up and playing backyard football, I can't recall anyone pretending to be John Stallworth, as great as he was...the backyard was full of little Swannies...

  10. #20
    Oh, and as for Brown?

    I love him as a player...but he must put together a few more comparable seasons to last year before I consider him in the top three...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •