Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Where do you rank Brown in all-time Steelers WRs?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    For a little, skinny dude, he has a wicked-azz stiff arm!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

Colbert drafting AB in the 6th round is insanely good. That alone should by the guy the fans goodwill for a long damn time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Its nearly impossible, IMO, to rate Swann, Stallworth, Thigpen, etc with today's WRs the ball is in the air 40 times a game on average it seems, the pre-90s were lucky to see it in the air 30 times and the pre-80s were lucky to see it in the air 20 times. How good would Swann and Stallworth be if DBs weren't allowed to touch except for 5 yards? There's no way to know. Would AB be able to survive with guys like Mel Blount, Jack Tatum, beating them up for 60 minutes? There's no way to know.

You can like AB better than Swann and Stallworth, but there's absolutely no way to say he's better, same with Ward, although Ward based on his physicality probably wouldn't have minded the 70s.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 11-04-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Its nearly impossible, IMO, to rate Swann, Stallworth, Thigpen, etc with today's WRs the ball is in the air 40 times a game on average it seems, the pre-90s were lucky to see it in the air 30 times and the pre-80s were lucky to see it in the air 20 times. How good would Swann and Stallworth be if DBs weren't allowed to touch except for 5 yards? There's no way to know. Would AB be able to survive with guys like Mel Blount, Jack Tatum, beating them up for 60 minutes? There's no way to know.

You can like AB better than Swann and Stallworth, but there's absolutely no way to say he's better, same with Ward, although Ward based on his physicality probably wouldn't have minded the 70s.

Pappy
    ehhh... I think it's possible. Half the guys in the NFL back then were slow as dirt.

The game today is faster, guys are much bigger and the training is year round.

I think it's fair to compare players from different eras.. it's still football.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    ehhh... I think it's possible. Half the guys in the NFL back then were slow as dirt.

The game today is faster, guys are much bigger and the training is year round.

I think it's fair to compare players from different eras.. it's still football.
    Most of today's receivers wouldn't know what the hell to do if Mel Blount came up press coverage and got physical with them everywhere they went. He weighed in at 205 so even the bigger receivers like the Johnsons wouldn't outweigh him by much. It was a whole different way of playing defense that today's receivers have no idea what it was like. I'm not saying they wouldn't be successful, but you wouldn't see the gaudy statistics that you see today. There's just no way, safeties back in the day Shell, Tatum, etc made sure that nearly every catch had a price to pay, dang, today if you don't let him catch it first you can't hit them.

Hell, how many catches and yards would Swann have today if they weren't allowed to touch him. He ran routes pretty precise and had hands that didn't seem to drop many. We'll not see eye-to-eye on this one, my opinion is that the comparison can't be made the game was so different.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well Brown to me is looking like Jerry Rice, he loses nothing in and out of his cuts hes just insanely quick and smooth. Few guys have had that skill....Rice, Holt, Harrison are the ones that come to mind

Legend

User Info Menu

One more factor to take into account when ranking Brown.

Obviously, when putting together any list of Steeler receivers, you have to list the tandem that was Swann/Stallworth. I see Plex on some lists. During his five years in Pittsburgh, he played across from Hines Ward. Obviously, the two of them benefited from playing together.

Now, look at Antonio Brown. He has been successful across from Mike Wallace, however, he also had his best year (1,499 yards, 8 TDs) across from Manny Sanders - who is the poster boy for big numbers when you have other teammates to take the shine off of you.

Even more ridiculous is that he is putting up essentially the same kinds of numbers whether the team isn't doing much, or are putting up video game numbers. This season has been a portrait of extremes for the O. There have been games in which the team could not move the ball, and more recently, games in which they are moving at will. Through it all, Brown's worst game has been 5 catches, 84 yards, 0 TDs. His average is over 110 yards and just under 1 TD per game (8 in 9 games). He has 5 games over 100 yards, and 3 games of exactly 90. 8 of 9 games 90 yards or more.

You might not think that we are ready yet to place Brown in the discussion of greatest Steeler receivers, but you can certainly place the first half of the season - and if you can project it forward - as possibly the best ever season by a Steeler receiver. Obviously there are 7 games to go, but he is easily on pace.