Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Word out of Browns Camp

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Nothing of note; most camps have fights. The fact that the Browns are just now to that intensity is more of an indictment on their past than it is an illustration of their promising future. But I will say this: Their coach seems more legit than any they have had since Belichick.
    I don't know if it is a new level of intensity. It is probably just the first time that anybody was watching.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Yeah, when you have guys hitting it other in oppressive heat, you expect to see a defensive end getting in a shoving match with an offensive tackle after the whistle, or a linebacker and fullback pushing each other around...man-on-man scrums are somewhat common this time of year. But not a 20 man battle royale. You can't let your practices crumble into that nonsense.

Maybe, but personally, I think they would have been better of keeping Chudzinski (with O.C. Norv Turner and D.C. Ray Horton) and cleaning house and going with Pettine (with O.C. Kyle Shanahan and D.C. Jim O'Neil). Chud vs. Pettine at this point seems somewhat like a wash to me at this point, but I prefer their coordinators from last year much more than their coordinators this year. The Browns were building a solid D, and Norv was turning Gordon and Cameron into legit weapons last year even without any semblence of a QB, so I'm glad those coaches are gone and they are starting over yet again.
    I can't even say. I often wonder if coordinators aren't mostly made by the players they have vs. how good they are at scheming. Norv Turner has made a career off of being the OC of Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin, that OL. Was he ever that great? I think most would be with that team and Jimmy Johnson as your head coach. He actually had two head coaching jobs since, that I feel he totally didn't deserve. Remember Kevin Gilbride? When he was in J-ville, with that loaded team in the late 90's, he seemed like this awesome OC. He got a head coaching job out of it and sucked. The one thing I agree with is always starting over, with new head coaches and/or new coordinators a sure fire way to never get any good. I think Pgh errors on the other end of the spectrum (too slow to react) but you can error in either direction. Browns have been flat awful in this regard. You can't start over every single year and ever get any good, period.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I can't even say. I often wonder if coordinators aren't mostly made by the players they have vs. how good they are at scheming. Norv Turner has made a career off of being the OC of Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin, that OL. Was he ever that great? I think most would be with that team and Jimmy Johnson as your head coach. He actually had two head coaching jobs since, that I feel he totally didn't deserve. Remember Kevin Gilbride? When he was in J-ville, with that loaded team in the late 90's, he seemed like this awesome OC. He got a head coaching job out of it and sucked. The one thing I agree with is always starting over, with new head coaches and/or new coordinators a sure fire way to never get any good. I think Pgh errors on the other end of the spectrum (too slow to react) but you can error in either direction. Browns have been flat awful in this regard. You can't start over every single year and ever get any good, period.
    Norv was an awful head coach, but has been an excellent coordinator. The two jobs require different things...Norv is apparently better with the X's and O's than being a CEO type. You could say the same thing about Dick LeBeau on the defensive side of the ball...awesome coordinator, but not successful when given a head coaching job. Gilbride was an awful head coach too, but was pretty much a solid coordinator everywhere but here in Pittsburgh (trying to force square pegs into round holes during the Kordell era)...he was a good O.C. for the Oilers, Jags, Giants, etc.