Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Emmanuel Sanders: Peyton is a far better leader than Ben

Backup

User Info Menu

When I add up the number of offensive linemen who started at least eight games for the Steelers between 2008 and 2012, and the number of RBs, WRs and TEs who have had any carries or catches for the Steelers in that same period of time, I get 24. When I subtract the players who retired on their own terms, I get 21. You know how many of those 21 players are good enough to start for other teams? Three. I'm sure it's Roethlisberger's fault that only three of those 21 players are good enough to start for other teams. And you know how many of those 21 players are involuntarily out of the NFL? Twelve. Must be Roethlisberger's fault that only nine of those 21 former Steelers are employable in the NFL.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    Please stop with the straw men. Nobody is saying Ben can do no wrong.

To argue that the way he "chose to play QB" caused the offensive woes is like arguing that the chicken preceded the egg. Last year, for example, the O-Line was poor. The running game was poor. For all intents and purposes we didn't have a healthy TE until late in the season, if then. Despite those problems, there were games like Minnesota, where the offense scored enough to win but the D collapsed. Ben made his share of mistakes but it was a team failure plus a lot of bad luck that led to 8-8.
    Well it sure sounds like Ben can do no wrong. Especially, when I read "but let's blame the QB". The QB is the leader of the offense, right? The QB is mostly responsible for the success or failure of an offense, right? The QB is generally the highest paid player on the team, right? The QB takes most of the credit when the team wins, right? I read comments about Ben winning X amount of games but people go into "blaming the team mode" when the team doesn't make the playoffs.

Ben has been the QB of the offense for the past 10 years. Every year the expectation is that the offense will "break out". Well, the offense never broke out yet. The QB is in a large part responsible for the offense not living up to fan's expectations. My premise is that one huge reason the offense didn't "break out" was because he lacked knowledge in regard to knowing the offense like he should had. If he didn't know his own offense like he should had then how prepared was he to face defenses? I believe that knowledgeable players tend to be able to lead better. In the past, Ben would defer to Batch in regard to questions regarding the Steelers offense. I suppose the Bronco's offensive success and Manning's preparation & knowledge are reasons why Sanders made those comments.

Ben gave the ball away twice vs the Vikes. Those 2 turnovers contributed to the loss more than any other factor. Losing the turnover battle is the number indicator for losing games in the league. The offense generally didn't take care of the football in the first 4 games of last season. Turnovers were the number one reason why the team started out 0-4. I believe Ben had 9 turnovers himself in those first 4 games. Difficult to win games giving the ball away that often.

If Ben could lead this offense to produce points in certain games, then why couldn't he lead the offense to score more points vs the likes of the Titans, Raiders, or Bengals?
    Why can't Ben lead a top 5 scoring offense?
    Why can't Ben lead this team to the playoffs without a top 5 ppg defense?
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 08-16-2014 at 03:42 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Let's see. I explicitly said Ben made his share of mistakes. Yet you insist that I'm saying Ben can do no wrong. There's no use arguing with a tree stump. Turnovers do happen when free rushers are into the backfield before the QB even has time to set up. They didn't all happen that way but a lot did.

One more time and the last time: Team failure and a lot of bad luck, such as Pouncey going down in the opening minutes of the season from friendly fire. The field is yours. I'm done on this thread. Buh-bye.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Not trying to nit pick but that quote sounds like Ben is admitting he hasn't done these things before... or not as much as he has this year.
    Thats how I read it too Dizz.

Someone mentioned the vet leadership on the team when Ben arrived. The Steelers have had a culture where QB is NOT the defacto leader by virtue of the position. There is a wait your turn kid mentality. Ben HIMSELF often deferred to others when asked about leadership. Look at any quote from Hines about Ben versus Ben about Hines. It is not the typical QB is the leader of the receivers relationship. He was humble as a result of the team culture.

By the time the "money receiver" trio arrived, Ben was vet enough to make this HIS TEAM but had so much success humble Ben saw little reason to change thus Sanders experience. Last season was different and this season more so. Ben is asserting himself in a different way.

Heck Bradshaw went through the same long wait to earn his stripes.

Some have also correctly pointed out a different kind of leadership that Ben has always had. Unlike Peyton Ben is clutch. He expresses confidence in his guys. I always think of Ben expressing confidence in Santonio AFTER his SB drop and going RIGHT BACK TO HIM for the game winning play. Contrast that to a Manning rant or the Manning stare of disgust after a teammates mistake which spreads his nervous energy to the rest of the team in big games.

Sanders has yet to experience THAT Manning "leadership". But knowing his flaws there is no doubt Sanders will experience this and see his game tank in big games as is typical of Peyton's receivers.

True or not Sanders comments are just uncool. But Sanders is just selfishly looking to ingratiate himself to his new QB and even more so the fan base in Denver.

No need to feel hurt or upset, he is not a Steeler anymore.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-16-2014 at 10:27 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Emmanuel Sanders has 5 receptions for 128 yards with 2 TDs in the first half against the Texans today...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I imagine that has more to do with the scheme...& preseason & not Manning's leadership
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Emmanuel Sanders has 5 receptions for 128 yards with 2 TDs in the first half against the Texans today...
    Well damn... that is impressive.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Really it is, after he disappeared for last week game. And you know if he have a pro bowl year the talks will start. But give me a gamer over a high pressure choker any day.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Really it is, after he disappeared for last week game. And you know if he have a pro bowl year the talks will start. But give me a gamer over a high pressure choker any day.
    I don't think Sanders played last week due to a bruised thigh.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Here's a thought, not sure if it's been posted yet.

If sanders excels, do the steelers pick up a possible comp pick next year?