Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ben Roethlisberger's next contract will wait until 2015

Ben sees similarities to 2004

By Mike Prisuta

There was a mix of young and old who came together in 2004 and spurred a run of winning

LATROBE, Pa. – Ben Roethlisberger has seen such a roster mix click previously for the Steelers once before. He’s looking at it from the other end of the spectrum at present, but it’s no less familiar and no less potentially effective.

“We have a good group of young guys,” the Steelers’ quarterback assessed this week at Saint Vincent College. “We have a really good second-year class that needs to step up – Jarvis Jones, Markus Wheaton, Le’Veon Bell, those guys, and I’m excited about where they’re going because they’ve put the work in and they know they need to step up and help this team.

“Troy and I spent some time talking the other day. We just kind of reminisced about how when we came into the league the team was older than us. We had the older guys, and we were just good enough as a young group to help the older group have a real good run there of AFC Championship games and Super Bowls and kind of do some good stuff.

“We kind of looked at each other and were kind of laughing and talking, it’s kind of what it feels like now. We have those older guys. And as older guys we feel we have a good younger group, whether it’s rookies, second-year guys, third-year guys, even some guys – Maurkice Pouncey’s been here for a little bit but is still a younger guy – who hopefully can get us back over that hump of becoming a championship team again.”

Roethlisberger took the Steelers to the AFC Championship Game as a rookie in 2004 and to Super Bowl XL the following season. If he’s destined to orchestrate a resurrection of such successes in 2014, it would admittedly be as a much different quarterback.

“The longer you play, the more defenses you’ve seen, the more players, the more blitzes, the more pass combinations, routes and things like that,” he said. “Early in my career it was my first read, maybe a second read, and then you’re out of there, I’m running, scrambling, trying to make something happen.

“Now it’s first read, second read, third read, maybe even a fourth read, then get out. I think most quarterbacks evolve into that.”

Roethlisberger’s evolution has resulted in him extending plays in search of big plays less frequently in favor of identifying and dissecting what a defense is making available, and then utilizing all of the weapons at his disposal.

It’s a shift in approach he’s come to embrace entering his 11th NFL season.

“We still need to have those big plays, deep down the field, because those are quote-unquote splash plays and they do a lot for you,” Roethlisberger. “But I think with the line protecting we can spread the ball around. I think there will be a lot of people getting touches this year. That should translate into me getting the ball out (quickly) because there are guys running intermediate routes and just (because of) a better understanding of the offense.

“Some of that has to do with just the growth and understanding of the quarterback position, understanding of the offense and having faith that the guy is going to be where he’s supposed to be.”

The more the Steelers turn to the no-huddle offense, as they did last season and as they’re working to do this season when the mood strikes them, the more obvious the mutual trust shared between third-year offensive coordinator Todd Haley and Roethlisberger becomes.

“There has to be,” trust, Roethlisberger said. “(Haley), ‘Coach Munch’ (offensive line coach Mike Munchak), Randy (quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner), they have to trust that when we are in the no-huddle and I’m calling the plays that I’m not just going to go deep every single play or throw it every play. To try to get us in the best play possible, run, pass, screen, wide receiver screen, tight end screen, whatever it is, that’s why we put so much work into this.

“And that’s why I’ve said this is our offense. This isn’t my offense. This isn’t Coach Haley’s offense. It’s ours as a collective group.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...medium=twitter

I LOVE this pic!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I LOVE this pic!

The Ambassador's got Ben in the grasp...blow the whistle, ref!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I hope Ben get top $ when the time comes. He deserves it. He should get more than Joe Flacco, that's for sure.
    I hope not..

There is no reason to want Ben to get Flacco type money if we want our team to have long term success.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    There are few things that are certain or near certain, but in my eyes the following things fall into that category:

The Rooneys love stability over everything
    Ben isn't ever playing for another team and his contract isn't "looming" over anything
    Mike Tomlin is not on any type of hot seat, real or made up by fans and mediots

Pappy
    I wouldn't be surprised if Ben got a contract in the next few days.

mediots... I love it.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Bengals reach six-year extension deal with Andy Dalton

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 4, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT

The Bengals weren’t lying when they insisted all offseason that Andy Dalton was their guy.

According to Adam Schefter and Adam Caplan of ESPN, the Bengals have given Dalton a six-year, $115 million contract extension.

As with all such deals, the details will tell us more than the first wave of numbers.

But it does speak to their commitment to Dalton.

The former second-rounder has kept them consistently competitive, but hasn’t delivered a playoff win yet.

If his numbers are truly like what they’re reported to be, that will be expected to change, and soon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...h-andy-dalton/

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Bengals reach six-year extension deal with Andy Dalton

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 4, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT

The Bengals weren’t lying when they insisted all offseason that Andy Dalton was their guy.

According to Adam Schefter and Adam Caplan of ESPN, the Bengals have given Dalton a six-year, $115 million contract extension.

As with all such deals, the details will tell us more than the first wave of numbers.

But it does speak to their commitment to Dalton.

The former second-rounder has kept them consistently competitive, but hasn’t delivered a playoff win yet.

If his numbers are truly like what they’re reported to be, that will be expected to change, and soon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...h-andy-dalton/
    Good... I think he is a slightly above average QB who won't win a playoff game in his career

Ben Roethlisberger thrives under pressure

AUGUST 6, 2014
    By Scott Brown

LATROBE, Pa. -- I have long thought that Ben Roethlisberger doesn't quite get his due as an elite quarterback from a national perspective.

One of only three active quarterbacks to win multiple Super Bowls, there is also documented evidence of how good Roethlisberger is under another kind of pressure.

RoethlisbergerOver the past three seasons Roethlisberger has been the best quarterback in the NFL when his pass protection breaks down.

Roethlisberger leads all quarterbacks in completion percentage (51.9, passing yards (1,837) and passing touchdowns when throwing under duress or getting hit since 2011, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

The Steelers, of course, want to minimize the hits Roethlisberger absorbs, especially at this stage of his career. If the Steelers offensive line comes into its own this season -- and everything is in place for that to happen -- Roethlisberger could receive the kind of protection he enjoyed early in his career when he had the likes of Alan Faneca and Jeff Hartings blocking for him.

But it bodes well for the offense that Roethlisberger is still as good as any quarterback when it comes to delivering under pressure.

A couple of other odds and ends:

I'm really looking forward to seeing rookie cornerback Shaquille Richardson in the Steelers' first preseason game Saturday night against the New York Giants. I have been impressed with Richardson, and to paraphrase Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, the game at this level doesn't seem too big for the fifth-round draft pick. William Gay agreed. “He's so calm,” the veteran cornerback said. “I tell him all the time, just use that in a game and you'll be all right. We'll see how he does in live action. I think he's going to be pretty good.”

The Steelers return to practice this afternoon following the players' day off Tuesday. They have gotten through the toughest grind of training camp and will practice two more times this week and four times the following week before breaking camp. Camp drills end with consecutive joint practices against the Buffalo Bills at St. Vincent College.

Camp has been noticeably quieter with Ryan Clark no longer playing for the Steelers. The veteran free safety, who had a heck of a run in Pittsburgh, is now with the Redskins.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...rc=desktop&wjb

by Ed Bouchette

--- YOU: I have a question about Ben and his relationship with Art Rooney.

We all know that Ben's contract is being postponed to next year and I'm not a conspiracy theorist like may, so not only do I believe Art Rooney for his reasoning but it also makes sense. My question, though, has to do with the relationship between Art and Ben. It isn't that far ago that Art was so angry with Ben that he wanted him traded - Of course cooler heads prevailed, Ben made amends and the rest is history, but has the Rooney family completely moved on from the Milledgeville, GA debacle? Has the relationship been completely repaired? and is there mutual trust again between Ben and Art?

ED: I would say, yes, that not only has the Rooney family moved on from the infamous incident of four years ago, but so has most everyone else. Roethlisberger promised to walk the straight and narrow after that and he has. He paid a price both in dollars and reputation and I believe it shocked him into not just changing his lifestyle but his attitude.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/...s/201408060001

Alex Kozora @Alex_Kozora ·

Ben Roethlisberger went 9/9 at yesterday's practice.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora