Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Ben Roethlisberger's next contract will wait until 2015

  1. #11
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,867
    Big Ben: My arm is stronger than it's ever been

    By Mike Coppinger
    NFL.com
    July 27, 2014

    Ben Roethlisberger has always been known for a strong arm.

    Even so, the Pittsburgh Steelers signal-caller devoted the offseason to adding zip to his right arm. He also worked with a personal trainer and nutritionist for the first time to shed weight from his 6-foot-5, 241-pound frame.

    "My arm is stronger than it's been in my career, I believe," Roethlisberger said Saturday, per Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Even in practices and minicamp the receivers said, 'Ben that ball is getting to us a lot quicker, with a lot more spin on it, it feels real good.' That should translate into better play."

    Coming off an 8-8 season, the Steelers could use improved play from their franchise QB, not that Ben was the problem. For the second consecutive offseason, Pittsburgh lost a top receiver to free agency.

    Big Ben also has his unresolved contract status hanging over his head. The 32-year-old has just two years remaining on his current deal, and team president Art Rooney II said Friday that the Steelers won't negotiate an extension until after the season.

    "As I put my faith and trust in them, when the time is right, we'll get it done," Roethlisberger said. "Now I can just concentrate on football."

    The two-time Super Bowl champ's confidence is buoyed by the implentation of the no-huddle offense down the stretch last season, a strategy he says "needs to be an integral part of our offense" in 2014.

    "You start getting to 32, it's time," he said. "As your body deteriorates, your natural talents start to go a little bit. You have to bring in physical working out, building, taking protein and doing extra stuff.

    "I want this year to be my best year, and if I have to do extra things, I'm going to do it."

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-its-ever-been

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,144
    I have zero fear in him re-signing. He knows he has it good in one of THE premier franchises in the entire world and, as long as he keeps his nose clean, the Steelers aren't about to let a franchise QB walk.

  3. #13
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,223
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Column: Ben smiles through another snub

    July 26, 2014
    By Dejan Kovacevic

    '''''''''

    Hence, there’s no doubt in my mind that Roethlisberger is disappointed. Perhaps deeply so.

    I’ll go further: Some of what was in Rooney’s statement was sheer malarkey. (And no, not Mike Mularkey, wiseguy.)



    http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2014...-another-snub/

    Writers that claim to known how a player is thinking drive me nuts. Roethlisberger knows he will be taken care of when the time comes, yet this author is trying to create drama where there is none. Where is it written a team has to re-up on a contract with two years remaining...??

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Writers that claim to known how a player is thinking drive me nuts. Roethlisberger knows he will be taken care of when the time comes, yet this author is trying to create drama where there is none. Where is it written a team has to re-up on a contract with two years remaining...??
    I hope Ben get top $ when the time comes. He deserves it. He should get more than Joe Flacco, that's for sure.

  5. #15
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,867
    Roethlisberger contract looms over Steelers’ season

    by Mike Florio
    July 27, 2014



    It was no accident that, in an “exclusive” interview with the website he ultimately owns, Steelers president Art Rooney II declared that his most important employee, Ben Roethlisberger, won’t be getting a new contract until after the 2014 season. Obivously, the Steelers wanted to push their version — the practical equivalent of a press release — to the public before Roethlisberger had a chance to share his own narrative.

    Roethlisberger has now shared his own narrative. And it goes a little something like this: I want $20 million per year.

    He should. Lesser quarterbacks with fewer Super Bowl wins already get that much and more. Despite having an $18.895 million cap number pumped up by restructurings in past years that helped the team stay on the right side of the salary cap, Roethlisberger gets $12.1 million in 2014. Next year, the final season of his long-term contract, Ben will receive $11.6 million.

    “Playing this year at my current salary, it’s kind of taking a hometown discount,” Roethlisberger told Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I’ve played seven years on my current contract, which is the most of any [NFL] player or any quarterback. . . . It is kind of taking a discount compared to maybe where it could be compared to other quarterbacks.”

    On one hand, no one forced Roethlisberger to commit through 2015. On the other hand, his currently resides well below market value. Although he has two years left on his contract, that’s typically when the Steelers have addressed quarterback deals in the past.

    “Usually the Steelers do a quarterback deal with two years to go, which would be this year. . . . It’s kind of a unique thing,” Roethlisberger said.

    He could have said a lot of words other than “unique.”

    While Roethlisberger said he “prays” he can stay with the Steelers, he added that he must “do what’s best for his family.” That’s a mild adjustment to his comments from the 2013 season, when reports attributed to “Steelers sources” from the national network the Steelers partially own indicated that Roethlisberger possibly wanted to be trade, forcing Roethlisberger to declare that he never wants to leave.

    Is it that crazy to think the Steelers may have leaked the information (before officially denying its accuracy, of course) in order to cajole from an angry Roethlisberger the kind of strong verbal commitment to stay that would make it a lot harder for him to threaten to leave if he doesn’t eventually get top dollar?

    “I’d retire before I’d accept a trade,” Roethlisberger said at the time.

    Whether that works remains to be seen. He told Robinson that the Broncos have built a Super Bowl team around Peyton Manning, despite paying him $15 million this year and carrying a cap charge of $17.5 million. With the salary cap going up $10 million in 2014 and expected to begin an annual series of spikes, the Steelers should be able to pay Roethlisberger market value.

    Then again, the only way to get true market value is to get to the market. The Steelers hold Roethlisberger’s rights through 2015, and an $18.395 million cap number next year would drive his franchise tender to $22.074 million. If the Steelers opt for the exclusive version of the tag (which probably wouldn’t increase the tender beyond $22.074 million), Roethlisberger will have to play for the Steelers, or no one.

    Under that formula, freedom may not come until 2017, when Roethlisberger would be due to make $26.4888 million, at a time when he’ll still be three years younger than Peyton Manning is right now.

    It all becomes moot if the Steelers work Roethlisberger out to a long-term deal after the season. But if he believes he’s already giving the Steelers a hometown discount, he may not be inclined to do it again. Which could make it harder to find a middle ground that both sides find acceptable.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eelers-season/

  6. #16
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,914
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Roethlisberger contract looms over Steelers’ season

    by Mike Florio
    Hawaiiansteel...

    DBR96A and 8467thekraken specifically asked you NOT to do this!

  7. #17
    Legend fordfixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    State of confusion
    Posts
    7,832
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Hawaiiansteel...

    DBR96A and 8467thekraken specifically asked you NOT to do this!
    Don't let them censor you Hawaiian post on

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell



    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

  8. #18
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,867
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Hawaiiansteel...

    DBR96A and 8467thekraken specifically asked you NOT to do this!



    Colbert can’t envision scenario where Roethlisberger would leave Pittsburgh

    Posted by Mike Florio on July 28, 2014



    Probably because franchise quarterbacks without serious injury questions (Peyton Manning, Drew Brees) rarely if ever change teams, few have taken notice of the situation in Pittsburgh, where Ben Roethlisberger is grossly underpaid and the team won’t do anything about it until 2015 at the earliest.

    The situation has prompted speculation that the two sides may not be able to work out a new contract next year, which would compel the team to pay more than $22 million to keep him under the franchise tag in 2016 and more than $26 million in 2017. Which eventually could prompt the Steelers and Roethlisberger to go their separate ways.

    G.M. Kevin Colbert doesn’t see that happening. In fact, he’s gone all in, telling reporters, “I don’t see any circumstances where Ben does not finish his career here,” via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

    While it remains probable if not highly likely that Roethlisberger will remain in Pittsburgh, circumstances definitely exist where Ben moves on. What if he gets injured this year or next year and the Steelers aren’t willing to make a huge financial commitment to keep him, a la the Colts and Manning? What if Ben won’t accept the team’s best offer on a new deal for 2015, forcing the team to use the franchise tag until the price gets so high that they can’t afford to do it? While $22 million for 2016 could be stomached, $26 million for 2017 gets a little pricey. By 2018, when Ben would be the same age Manning was when he left the Colts (36), and the price tag for one more year will shoot to $38.1 million for one season.

    Meanwhile, Roethlisberger would have made more than $70 million on a year-to-year arrangement. If he’s willing to continue to bear the injury risk, why not let it play out that way?

    So, yes, there’s a way that dominoes fall that will lead to Roethlisberger walking away. Given the zeal with which Steelers fans follow the team, both sides need to tread lightly for fear of catching the blame for an eventual divorce. And, ideally, to ensure that as few Steelers fans as possible realize that a divorce, while still far from likely, could indeed happen.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ve-pittsburgh/

  9. #19
    Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    636
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post


    Colbert can’t envision scenario where Roethlisberger would leave Pittsburgh

    Posted by Mike Florio on July 28, 2014



    Probably because franchise quarterbacks without serious injury questions (Peyton Manning, Drew Brees) rarely if ever change teams, few have taken notice of the situation in Pittsburgh, where Ben Roethlisberger is grossly underpaid and the team won’t do anything about it until 2015 at the earliest.

    The situation has prompted speculation that the two sides may not be able to work out a new contract next year, which would compel the team to pay more than $22 million to keep him under the franchise tag in 2016 and more than $26 million in 2017. Which eventually could prompt the Steelers and Roethlisberger to go their separate ways.

    G.M. Kevin Colbert doesn’t see that happening. In fact, he’s gone all in, telling reporters, “I don’t see any circumstances where Ben does not finish his career here,” via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

    While it remains probable if not highly likely that Roethlisberger will remain in Pittsburgh, circumstances definitely exist where Ben moves on. What if he gets injured this year or next year and the Steelers aren’t willing to make a huge financial commitment to keep him, a la the Colts and Manning? What if Ben won’t accept the team’s best offer on a new deal for 2015, forcing the team to use the franchise tag until the price gets so high that they can’t afford to do it? While $22 million for 2016 could be stomached, $26 million for 2017 gets a little pricey. By 2018, when Ben would be the same age Manning was when he left the Colts (36), and the price tag for one more year will shoot to $38.1 million for one season.

    Meanwhile, Roethlisberger would have made more than $70 million on a year-to-year arrangement. If he’s willing to continue to bear the injury risk, why not let it play out that way?

    So, yes, there’s a way that dominoes fall that will lead to Roethlisberger walking away. Given the zeal with which Steelers fans follow the team, both sides need to tread lightly for fear of catching the blame for an eventual divorce. And, ideally, to ensure that as few Steelers fans as possible realize that a divorce, while still far from likely, could indeed happen.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/28/colbert-cant-envision-scenario-where-roethlisberger-would-leave-

    pittsburgh/
    i hate this FOOLIO... but i guess that what he wants.. hogwash
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg
    http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

  10. #20
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,304
    There are few things that are certain or near certain, but in my eyes the following things fall into that category:

    The Rooneys love stability over everything
    Ben isn't ever playing for another team and his contract isn't "looming" over anything
    Mike Tomlin is not on any type of hot seat, real or made up by fans and mediots

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •