Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray Rice gets a joke of a suspension

Legend

User Info Menu

Get ‘em while they’re hot: Buy your ladies’ Ray Rice gear

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 24, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT

The league’s in house network referred to the “iron fist of the NFL” this morning while discussing the pending two-game suspension for the Ravens running back Ray Rice.

But that iron palm can still be greased, mind you.

In case you wanted to show your support for the Ravens running back during his time off for knocking his wife unconscious, you can order your very own Ray Rice ladies’ jersey from the team store, for the low price of $94.95.

Or even better, you can order the shimmering pink one (with the sassy laces to cover up your cleavage) from the league for only $59.95.

Those will be perfect for the warm autumn afternoons of October, when the league goes to great pains to remind you it supports breast cancer research.

If only they showed as much respect for the rest of the woman.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/24/get-em-while-theyre-hot-buy-your-ladies-ray-rice-gear/[/URL]

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

John Harbaugh: Ray Rice is a heck of a guy who made a mistake

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 24, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT

Ravens coach John Harbaugh is standing behind running back Ray Rice, who was suspended for the first two games of the regular season for assaulting his wife.

Harbaugh said today that he and his team would get past the suspension and continue to support Rice, one of the team’s veteran leaders.

“It’s not a big deal, it’s just part of the process,” Harbaugh said, via ESPN. “There are consequences when you make a mistake like that. I stand behind Ray. He’s a heck of a guy. He’s done everything right since. He makes a mistake, alright? He’s going to have to pay a consequence. I think that’s good for kids to understand it works that way. That’s how it works, that’s how it should be.”

To many, Harbaugh’s comments will come off as too supportive of Rice, and not reflective enough of the gravity of the situation. That’s also a criticism the Ravens as a franchise received when they arranged a press conference for Rice and his wife in May. Whether Harbaugh meant it this way or not, calling Rice’s crime a “mistake” suggests that it was a relatively minor transgression, and saying that it’s good for kids to learn from it suggests that there’s some kind of silver lining to this story. Harbaugh’s comments struck the wrong note.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/24/john-harbaugh-ray-rice-is-a-heck-of-a-guy-who-made-a-mistake/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Rice suspended two games, fined a game check

Posted by Mike Florio on July 24, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

The reports regarding the two-game suspension to be imposed on Ravens running back Ray Rice were mostly accurate, but ultimately incomplete. The league has announced that Rice will be suspended two games and also fined an additional game check.

The decision will result in $705,0882 in lost salary for Rice. The Ravens also could try to recover $352,941 of Rice’s $15 million signing bonus, paid in 2012.

Since the Ravens play on Thursday night in Week Two, he’ll be back on Friday, September 12, before the rest of the league has played its second game.

“As you acknowledged during our meeting, your conduct was unquestionably inconsistent with league polices and the standard of behavior required of everyone who is part of the NFL,” Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a letter to Rice. “The league is an entity that depends on integrity and in the confidence of the public and we simply cannot tolerate conduct that endangers others or reflects negatively on our game. This is particularly true with respect to domestic violence and other forms of violence against women.”

The suspension has been widely criticized as being too soft, even though the league-owned network has described the punishment as an example of the NFL’s iron fist.

That’s an unfortunate metaphor in cases of domestic violence. In this specific case, many would also say it’s inaccurate.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/24/rice-suspended-two-games-fined-a-game-check/[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Panthers following NFL’s lead on Greg Hardy punishment

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 24, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT

It’s a banner day for women everywhere around the NFL.

After Ray Rice’s two-game suspension for knocking his wife unconscious (Hey, she apologized), it now appears the league’s other star abuser of women is going to continue to make his full $13 million this year.

According to Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review, Panthers General Manager Dave Gettleman indicated the team was not going to suspend defensive end Greg Hardy, who was convicted last week on charges of assaulting his girlfriend and communicating threats.

“We’ve been in touch with the league, . . . we have to respect the legal process,” Gettleman said.

Hardy has appealed his conviction, and will get a jury trial next. But that’s unlikely to happen before January, which means the Panthers will likely have Hardy available this season.

The franchise-tagged defensive end will make $13.1 million this season, or just over $770,000 per week.

They could conceivably suspend him up to four games for conduct detrimental to the team, but teams always prefer to leave such cases to the NFL. And as today’s ruling in the Rice case shows, that punishment will come later, if it’s felt at all.

Considering they’ve made no effort to reach a long-term contract with Hardy, who could be an unrestricted free agent again next year, they might never have to feel it, either.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/24/panthers-following-nfls-lead-on-greg-hardy-punishment/[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

So I guess calling this a black eye for the league wouldn't be cool either?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[Ray Rice will] be back on the field by October, when the NFL wraps itself in pink to remind us how valuable their female customers are to them. -- Darin Gantt, profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

Beautiful

Backup

User Info Menu

On the surface, what Rice did seemed bad. But, none of us know what lead up to what happened, or the actually assault. The dragging of his girlfriend...now his wife at that time....might, according to leaks were more of a result of her just being super drunk, more then the actual assault. And also remember, part of the final decision to give him his suspension was also based on what Rice's girlfriend told the Cops. I mean she never pressed charges, and even said she was just as at fault.

The fact that Ray was drunk legally according to the Law means he could not form the requisite Intent for deliberately assaulting anyone....called diminished Capasity. Now even with all this, I still find it egregious that ANY Man should hit a woman. Especially a Pro Football player who is at least 70Lbs heavier, and a hell of alot stronger. I still think he should have received at least 4 games. And, bottom line...as for missing our game in week 2...I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Goodell, after an appeal...doesn't reduce it to 1 game!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Newsome calls Rice suspension “fair,” Rice doesn’t say whether he’ll appeal

Posted by Mike Florio on July 24, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT

The suspension of Ray Rice has become official, which means that more statements will be issued from folks directly affected by the outcome.

“We appreciate the thorough process the league office used to evaluate the incident with Ray Rice,” Ravens G.M. Ozzie Newsome said in a statement issued by the team. “The time the Commissioner spent with Ray and Janay is typical of the extra steps the NFL takes when making decisions regarding discipline issues. While not having Ray for the first two games is significant to our team, we respect the league’s decision and believe it is fair.

“We also respect the efforts Ray has made to become the best partner and father he can be. That night was not typical of the Ray Rice we know and respect. We believe that he will not let that one night define who he is, and he is determined to make sure something like this never happens again.”

Rice stopped short of calling the suspension “fair,” which possibly means he’ll exercise his right to an appeal. He nevertheless continues to accept responsibility for his behavior.

“It is disappointing that I will not be with my teammates for the first two games of the season, but that’s my fault,” Rice said in a statement issued by the team (which is the paper equivalent of a press conference with no questions allowed from the press, which Rice did in May). “As I said earlier, I failed in many ways. But, Janay and I have learned from this. We have become better as a couple and as parents. I am better because of everything we have experienced since that night. The counseling has helped tremendously.

“My goal is to earn back the trust of the people, especially the children, I let down because of this incident. I am a role model and I take that responsibility seriously. My actions going forward will show that.”

Neither statement addresses the broader issue of domestic violence, and neither the Ravens nor Rice have said or done anything use this incident as a way to help reduce situations where men strike their wives, fianceés, girlfriends, or any other people (male or female) they regularly encounter in their day-to-day lives.

Maybe the $705,000 that the Ravens won’t be paying to Rice should be donated to one or more groups that support the victims of domestic violence, and maybe Rice should match the amount of his financial penalty with an equal donation. Some would call the gesture transparent or hollow, but it would have far more tangible impact than generating a page of quotes that avoid acknowledging what happened — Rice threw a punch at the woman he supposedly loves, and he knocked her out cold.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/24/newsome-calls-rice-suspension-fair-rice-doesnt-say-whether-hell-appeal/[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Well, since our Steelers travel to Baltimore for the first ever CBS-NFL Network simulcast Thursday night game in week 2, one of those two games he'll miss is against us (and week one for is home against Cincy, so they lose their starting RB for two division games against their biggest rivals). If the Ravens start off their season 0-2 in the division with both being home losses against the two teams that are their primary competition in the AFC North, then the penalty will be worth it.
    Exactly... but I guess Goodell shoulda chopped his foot off and changed his name to Toby.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    [Ray Rice will] be back on the field by October, when the NFL wraps itself in pink to remind us how valuable their female customers are to them. -- Darin Gantt, profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

Beautiful

The whole Pink thing the NFL does is a total sham. They do it as an additional revenue stream with cancer research an almost forgotten side effect.

In the end, after everybody has taken their cut, only 8.01% of money spent on pink NFL merchandise is actually going towards cancer research.

Read more: [URL]http://www.businessinsider.com/small-amount-of-money-from-pink-nfl-merchandise-goes-to-breast-cancer-research-2013-10#ixzz38PcD73wh[/URL]