Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray Rice gets a joke of a suspension

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Steven A Smith may get a longer suspension from ESPN than Rice gets from the NFL.
    he is getting 1 week and ESPN is going to remind us how they were proactive and swift about it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Commissioner will meet the media this weekend in Canton

Posted by Mike Florio on July 30, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT

Much has been made about the apparent unwillingness of Commissioner Roger Goodell to answer questions about the controversial decision to suspend Ravens running back Ray Rice only two games for knocking out his then-fiancĂ©e (now wife) in an elevator in February. Earlier this week, the league office dispatched Adolpho Birch to answer questions, and the consensus is that it didn’t go well.

But while Goodell has yet to address the situation with the press, that will end this weekend in Canton.

“The Commissioner meets with the media during the [Hall of Fame] weekend and will do so again this year,” league spokesman Brian McCarthy tells PFT.

It’s safe to say the first question from the assembled media members will relate to Ray Rice. And perhaps the second. And perhaps the third.

It’s also safe to say that it will be difficult for Goodell to say or do anything that will change the near-unanimous belief that a league known for getting it right in most situations has gotten this one incredibly wrong.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/30/commissioner-will-meet-the-media-this-weekend-in-canton/[/URL]
    yeah... fans will be so happy football has started they won't care about this.

Remember the backlash Ben received from fans during the first 4 games? Me neither...

Legend

User Info Menu

Here is what Goodell put in the letter to Ben regarding the 6 game suspension (4 with good behavior). My question is how does the Ray Rice situation not get the same response. Is there anything about his behavior in a hotel elevator that could be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with the values of the league or the expectations of the fans?

"I recognize that the allegations in Georgia were disputed and that they did not result in criminal charges being filed against you," Goodell said Wednesday [URL="http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817ab3d0&template=with-video&confirm=true"]in a letter to Roethlisberger[/URL]. "My decision today is not based on a finding that you violated Georgia law, or on a conclusion that differs from that of the local prosecutor. That said, you are held to a higher standard as an NFL player, and there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans."

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost; [B
    and there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans."[/[/B]FONT]

Really ?...nothing ?. Ben arranged for two SUV's and twp drivers to drive his party around. THAT is not responsible...Moral, ect ? If not, I am SURE the surviving relatives of the two people that " Leonard Little " and " Dante' Stallworth " killed would love to have a conversation with you Roger!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thetruthteller View Post
    Really ?...nothing ?. Ben arranged for two SUV's and twp drivers to drive his party around. THAT is not responsible...Moral, ect ? If not, I am SURE the surviving relatives of the two people that " Leonard Little " and " Dante' Stallworth " killed would love to have a conversation with you Roger!
    What does 2 SUV driverd any of that have to do with Ben's behavior IN the bar?

Ben wasn't charged with a DUI or anything car related. If Ray Rice had a limo drop him off at the hotel does it make him somewhat responsible?

Also remember the tape from the GA incident was "erased or destroyed" so we have no idea what happened in the bar. Did Ben buy them drinks? Wasn't she underaged?

Ben was in the news and the Rooneys were furious. When you have a SA accusation on your resume (regardless if its true or not) and you get another one the next year (regardless if its true or not) you are going to get punished harsher than a guy who has 1 offense even if he is charged and convicted.

Its all about perception and Ben received a ton of bad press. Its one of the prices of fame and he paid a huge sum.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    What does 2 SUV driverd any of that have to do with Ben's behavior IN the bar?

Ben wasn't charged with a DUI or anything car related. If Ray Rice had a limo drop him off at the hotel does it make him somewhat responsible?

Also remember the tape from the GA incident was "erased or destroyed" so we have no idea what happened in the bar. Did Ben buy them drinks? Wasn't she underaged?

Ben was in the news and the Rooneys were furious. When you have a SA accusation on your resume (regardless if its true or not) and you get another one the next year (regardless if its true or not) you are going to get punished harsher than a guy who has 1 offense even if he is charged and convicted.

Its all about perception and Ben received a ton of bad press. Its one of the prices of fame and he paid a huge sum.

Dude, you are so misinformed. One thing, the ACTUAL Girl from that night eventually admitted to the Investigators at the GBI that she indeed did lie, and that Ben NEVER Assaulted her. Second...there was never any video tape destroyed from that club. So stop your Lying. And lastly, Goodell's letter never said or stated Ben's actions solely in the club, but his WHOLE Night. And, when you are a NFL player who knowingly knows that they will be drinking and driving...then THAT right there is deadly, criminal behavior. The very fact that Ben arranged to be driven around cause he knew in advance that he, and his party would be drinking IS showing very Mature, and safe behavior. And if you don't agree, I can give you the names of about 150,000 people who have had loved ones killed by Intoxicated drivers just so far in 2014.

F'ing Moron!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Dude, you are so misinformed. One thing, the ACTUAL Girl from that night eventually admitted to the Investigators at the GBI that she indeed did lie, and that Ben NEVER Assaulted her. Second...there was never any video tape destroyed from that club. So stop your Lying. And lastly, Goodell's letter never said or stated Ben's actions solely in the club, but his WHOLE Night. And, when you are a NFL player who knowingly knows that they will be drinking and driving...then THAT right there is deadly, criminal behavior. The very fact that Ben arranged to be driven around cause he knew in advance that he, and his party would be drinking IS showing very Mature, and safe behavior. And if you don't agree, I can give you the names of about 150,000 people who have had loved ones killed by Intoxicated drivers just so far in 2014.

F'ing Moron!!
    I know all about having a loved one killed by an intoxicated driver. My mother was killed in a car accident in beaver county by a person who was heavily medicated with a suspended license. http://www.wqed.org/tv/watch/onq/?id=303

However, you are moving the goal post... a designated driver? What next, giving Ben credit for saving money on his Geico insurance? Ray Rice wasn't pulled over for DUI and he didnt injure anyone with a vehicle. You dont give credit for taking a cab to go to a bar and "allegedly" sexually assaulting someone.

The video footage from inside the club was "erased" so that is another loss on your end.
    [URL]http://m.voices.yahoo.com/ben-roethlisberger-bar-video-erased-after-accused-5713868.html[/URL]

It really isnt a good idea to keep bringing up Bens accusations everytime a player gets suspended.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

F'ing Moron!!
    Ben isn't innocent in this case. There was evidence of an assault, from what I remember.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Ben isn't innocent in this case. There was evidence of an assault, from what I remember.

No there wasn't. Which is why Ben was never even questioned by Investigators after Interviewing the 3 girls who made the claim. Cause their stories were so inconsistent. And of course, two months later, the actual girl who made the claim recinded it, and said Ben never did anything. She admitted she lied. So no, Ben WAS completely 100 % Innocent of everything....again which is why no charges were ver even filed.

But I was never comparing Bens case to Rice. I was comparing James Harrison's DV case to his. Which was much more egregious....and yet Goodell didn't suspend him even one game. And our own owner defended Harrisons actions cause in Dan Rooney's own words...Harrison's actions served the greater good!

Which is absolutely disgusting that Rooney would ever utter such a thing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ray Rice says his wife “can do no wrong” in first press conference

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 31, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT

Ravens running back Ray Rice walked to the podium Thursday, and came right out with the kind of contrition he hadn’t previously shown.

Rice spoke to reporters for the first time since his no-questions-asked press conference during which his wife apologized for getting knocked out cold, and admitted what appears obvious.

“My actions that night were totally inexcusable,” he began. “That’s not me. That’s something I have to live with the rest of my life.”

Rice apologized to his wife, which he neglected to do during his press conference, and talked about how difficult it would be to explain to his young daughter.

He also said he and his wife wanted to talk about domestic violence “when the time is right.”

That’s apparently not until he continues his counseling, as he said he’s still in that process.

Rice didn’t want to re-live what he called “the incident,” but said he “owned it,” and it was the “biggest mistake of my life.”

“My wife can do no wrong,” he said, several times.

He also said he’s never been involved in any kind of domestic abuse situation, though he repeatedly declined to offer specifics on the night of “the incident.”

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/31/ray-rice-says-his-wife-can-do-no-wrong-in-first-press-conference/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.