Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray Rice gets a joke of a suspension

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    Roger strikes again...2 games for knocking his girlfriend out cold and dragging her through an elevator out
    into the hotel lobby.

Slap on the wrist.

Ben got what 6 games? For not breaking any laws!!!!

And I'll guess she suffered a concussion, too. Two games for intentionally knocking a girl out cold and probably causing a concussion! C'mon Man!
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    If Rice was white
    I thought rice was white?

Regardless of what other players have been assessed as punishment for crimes against the NFL, recreational drug use, performance enhancing drugs, accusations of sexual misconduct, hitting other players too hard, etc. I think we can all agree that knocking another human being unconscious should have carried a bit stiffer penalty. To me, this a minimum of 8 games plus counseling and anger management. Two games and no attempt to educate him about how to conduct himself as a father, husband and son is rather light punishment.

Even if the Ravens lose the first two games the punishment isn't worth it, there's more at stake here than a couple football games. I'm not sure how women in general can support the NFL; Roger Goodell is basically saying we have little respect for the women of the NFL, fans, wives and girlfriends alike, sad really.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I thought rice was white?

haha... nice work!

Hall of Famer
    What does Roger Goodell tell a woman with two black eyes?
    Nothing he already done tole her twice
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    Other than this particular case, I don't believe I've ever pulled the race card on this forum or the trib. My opinion is not some knee-jerk response, nor is it the product of some warped anti-whitey agenda I believe exists.

To me the thinking behind Goodell's decision-making is pretty plain to see. How else can you explain the punishment dished out to Roethlisberger...especially in light of every other instance of player discipline he has handed down.

Roethlisberger's case remains the lone example of a player being disciplined with no arrest or charges. He had no prior history of legal trouble or allegations of inappropriate behavior (aside from perhaps being boorish). Yet he was suspended 3 times longer than Ray Rice. I would be interested in your thoughts on any other possible reasons.

The only white quarterbacks ever suspended by the NFL other than Ben have been Art Schlichter (1 year in 1983 and lifetime in 1986 for gambling) and Frank Filchock (lifetime for fixing the 1946 NFL Championship game). As a matter of fact, until Roethlisberger, no white player at any position was suspended by the NFL since Schlichter. In that time period between the two QBs, there were 14 other player suspensions...all involving black players. Goodell was responsible for 12 of those 14 suspensions and there was a wide-spread belief that he and the league were targeting black players because of those skewed numbers.

If you don't think that Goodell looked at Roethlisberger as a prime opportunity to show everyone that he could come down hard on a white player...especially a star quarterback, then I would question the amount of thought you have dedicated to the question.

My opinion is 100% speculation, but it none-the-less remains the most plausible explanation for such a ridiculous discrepancy...easily. To say this explanation makes no sense is equally ridiculous. Again, I am interested to hear your thoughts on how Roethlisberger got the hammer and Rice got the pillow.
    2 sexual assault accusations in a year and a FO that wanted to scare Ben straight.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    2 sexual assault accusations in a year and a FO that wanted to scare Ben straight.
    Compare the two situations. Look at the credibility of the accusers and the facts in Roethlisberger's case, then immediately follow that analysis with a viewing of the Rice video tape. You tell me which one deserves 6 games and which one should get 2. Compare Ben's case with any other suspension in the history of the league and tell us how you don't see an obvious incongruity.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Hall of Famer
    Let's chill out a bit, people. It isn't like black guys who beat on woman have traditionally enjoyed concessions on their consequences. I would agree, if this was (e.g.) Tom Brady*, who beat up his girl and got only a 2-game suspension.

I'm guessing that there are mitigating circumstances (I have no idea what those could be) that help Rice's cause.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Also, a couple extra million dollars is nothing to scoff at when its free money for cancer research. Could the NFL donate more? Sure they could but they could not slap a pink ribbon on every product they have and still make $8.8 billion a year in merchandise sales
    "Hey ladies! The NFL gives more than 3% over and above the absolute minimum amount we are required to give in order to be able to classify our pink merch as a charitable fund raiser!"

It's disingenuous at best...