Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray Rice gets a joke of a suspension

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Why not? If the league is so concerned about "image" and protecting it's brand,then everyone,from owners to waterboys should be held to the same standard.
    Well if you really think everyone is held to the same standards then this makes plenty sense. I, do not.

As i said before I dont really care what athletes do off the field, I care even less what billionaire owners do

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Well if you really think everyone is held to the same standards then this makes plenty sense. I, do not.

As i said before I dont really care what athletes do off the field, I care even less what billionaire owners do
    I don't care what athletes do off the field either,but the league does,so they better hold Irsay to the same standards as they do the players.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I dont really think Goodell should be able to "punish" Irsay personally but i read this earlier....seems like a reach
    It is an odd situation, since essentially Irsay is Goodell's boss (one of his 32 bosses at least) rather than the other way around.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ravens PR chief, owner rise to the defense of Ray Rice

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 25, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT

After leading the league in offseason arrests, enduring the backlash that stemmed from a punishment which practically no one agrees is fair (and then signing a three-time violator of the league’s drug and PED policies), the Ravens have taken the obvious next step in a fabulous week for their image.

They’ve had their senior vice president of public relations write 1,200 words about what a great guy Ray Rice is.

No, really.

To his credit, longtime PR man Kevin Byrne understands that he’s not going to change many minds, but apparently felt compelled to share some personal reflections about all the good things Ray Rice has done.

Then again, he also oversees the messaging for a team that thought it would be a good idea to live-tweet Janay Rice’s apologizing for getting knocked out, bringing victim-blaming rushing into the 21st century with an deft social media flourish.

He also used his position to get a nice EXCLUSIVE with his boss, Ravens owner Steve Biscioitti, after asking if he thought this was a good idea.

“That’s your call,” Bisciotti said. “I don’t think Ray needs it, and I don’t think you’ll change the minds of those who don’t want to have anything to do with Ray. . . . How sad we all are that he tarnished his image. No one outside, I’ve learned, can understand how we look at these guys as our sons and close friends as opposed to just employees.

“I saw that clearly when we lost the AFC championship at New England [at the end of the 2011 season],” the owner continued. “I had friends tell me, ‘You must hate Lee Evans or Billy Cundiff. They cost you a trip to the Super Bowl.’ It was the opposite – we felt for Lee and Billy. I wished that they’d get another chance. I felt the need to protect them like I would one of my sons. It’s not like that in my other businesses.

“Don’t we all have days or moments or periods in our life we regret? Ray showed great character for the six years I’ve known him. He has shown remorse after a bad incident. It was out of character. I don’t think now is the time to abandon him. You say we are a Ravens’ family. I’ve come to believe that.”

This is followed by the kind of things you’d expect someone who likes Ray Rice to tell you, about his remorse and civic concern, and another affirmation from Bisciotti that taking care of their own was a good idea.

But it’s probably not, if only for the fact it underscores how tone-deaf the Ravens have been throughout this entire incident.

Having a press-conference with no questions allowed was a sham, a clumsy effort to divert attention on a Friday afternoon. Live-tweeting Rice’s wife trying to jump on a grenade for her husband that day was tasteless at best. John Harbaugh’s tone of mild annoyance in discussing Rice’s two-game absence was cringe-worthy.

And frankly, trying to explain away the negative reaction to domestic violence is beneath them.

Unless, of course, it isn’t.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/25/ravens-pr-chief-owner-rise-to-the-defense-of-ray-rice/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    A lifetime? Come on... exaggerate much? I think most people just want a little bit of consistency from Goodell.
    it's as much of an exaggeration as Rice getting impunity

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    A lifetime? Come on... exaggerate much? I think most people just want a little bit of consistency from Goodell.
    This is the main component for the true disgust and outrage expressed by posters on this board...

Personally, I do not believe race to be a factor and will not until a guy like Russell Wilson or RG3 does something stupid and receive a punishment as light as what Rice received...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    I believe 100% that the severity of Ben's suspension was primarily the result of two factors.
    1. He is a high-profile quarterback
    2. He is white

The fact that there were two unsubstantiated allegations levied against him in a relatively short period of time surely influenced Goodell's thinking as well, but I believe it runs a distant 3rd in the decision-making process. This was his chance to show the world that he wasn't going to show preferential treatment to a white guy or star quarterback.

If true, 2 games for Ray Rice is shameful.

It's not even being a QB, it is because it was Goodell's first chance to nail a white player. He was getting heat from all the former black players in the media, especially NFL Network, about what he did to PacMan, Henry and others. This was his chance to nail a white guy and he went way over the top. Anyone still naive enough to make an excuse for what Goodell did to Ben has their head buriied in the sand and or are just afraid to acknowledge the racial element to this because it is uncomfortable.

What he gave Rice is a disgrace for beating a woman. You can get more punishment for multiple high hits on the football field.

No doubt Goodell's favorite flavor of the week, Ray Lewis, was advising him what a GRETA GUY rICE WAS.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Your post is truly the crux of the situation.

The crime deserved a much harsher punishment. Not for the severity of the crime itself, but for what it represents for the league. Goodell did not make a statement to anyone-not the players or the public-that the NFL does not stand for such conduct. Instead he practically made it a non-issue.

Comparing the act to any other players past transgressions and punishment does no good.
    Arguing the fact that it is Ray Rices first offense means nothing.

This is a situation where Roger needed to come down hard. Over the top. And he failed miserably. The message he sent was it's not that big of a deal to the NFL that women get abused, battered and assaulted.

Women everywhere should be in an uproar over this. You cannot slap the wrist for assault on women. Period.

I think back recently to the episode in the elevator between jay z and solange knowles. She was punching and slapping and kicking him. And he didnt touch her. Be a man. Hold fast.

Just pisses me off. Probably a little more 'cause I have seen this stuff first hand when I was younger.

First two points, one, when did Rice Assault anyone ? Assault is a CRIME....Did you see Rice get charged with anything ? Also, I don't care if Rice woman was drunk, or he was, if it is true that SHE first started in on the hitting, it is SHE who was guilty of Assault son. What Rice did was SELF DEFENSE. Like it, Lump it I don't care. But women are NOT above the Law. Or are they above getting hit themselves IF they first are doing the hitting. Hell I know women right now who are in the 120-130Lb range that could beat the HELL out of each one of you here on this forum.

And the Jay Z reference does not apply. Cause in THAT case, Jay Z was NOT Drunk, and had the mental capasity to form the REQUISITE INTENT to NOT strike her back, but get a hold of her. In Ray Rice's case, he was Drunk, and was not thinking clearly...nor was she, and what he did was a REACTION to what she first did to him. Now, was it the right think morally to do ?...No. Was it going too far ?.....Yes. But, was it a CRIME ?.....No!

And as long as the video first showed Rice's girl as being the physical Instigator first. And as long as Ray has clearly shown himself as being sorry for what he did, as well as his now wife also says that she to was soryy for starting this, then I don't see why the uproar for the suspension being 2 games. I mean our own James Harrison was NOT Drunk. And had full use of his mental capasities...and yet he CLOCKED the Mother of his child...right in FRONT of the child. And was James ever punished by the league ?..or the Steelers ? Cause I sure as hell don't remember any. In fact, the Hypocrite that IS our owner...Rooney supported Harrison over the Incident. But yet, in a simular domestic abuse case with WR Cedric Wilson, Rooney order he be released. Can you all say...DOUBLE STANDARD ?!

I agree, Domestic violence towards women in Pro sports IS a huge problem. But, I feel to vent on Goodell about this decieion on Ray Rice is not a good example. I think calling him out for his past NOT getting Involved in past, and multiple violations of Domestic Abuse cases, like with Former Bronco and Current Bear WR Brandon Marshall, or Ex Cincy WR...and currently DEAD....Chris Henry. Those were the ones who got away with Murder on their girlfriends and spouces.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thetruthteller View Post
    First two points, one, when did Rice Assault anyone ? Assault is a CRIME....Did you see Rice get charged with anything ? Also, I don't care if Rice woman was drunk, or he was, if it is true that SHE first started in on the hitting, it is SHE who was guilty of Assault son. What Rice did was SELF DEFENSE. Like it, Lump it I don't care. But women are NOT above the Law. Or are they above getting hit themselves IF they first are doing the hitting. Hell I know women right now who are in the 120-130Lb range that could beat the HELL out of each one of you here on this forum.

And the Jay Z reference does not apply. Cause in THAT case, Jay Z was NOT Drunk, and had the mental capasity to form the REQUISITE INTENT to NOT strike her back, but get a hold of her. In Ray Rice's case, he was Drunk, and was not thinking clearly...nor was she, and what he did was a REACTION to what she first did to him. Now, was it the right think morally to do ?...No. Was it going too far ?.....Yes. But, was it a CRIME ?.....No!

And as long as the video first showed Rice's girl as being the physical Instigator first. And as long as Ray has clearly shown himself as being sorry for what he did, as well as his now wife also says that she to was soryy for starting this, then I don't see why the uproar for the suspension being 2 games. I mean our own James Harrison was NOT Drunk. And had full use of his mental capasities...and yet he CLOCKED the Mother of his child...right in FRONT of the child. And was James ever punished by the league ?..or the Steelers ? Cause I sure as hell don't remember any. In fact, the Hypocrite that IS our owner...Rooney supported Harrison over the Incident. But yet, in a simular domestic abuse case with WR Cedric Wilson, Rooney order he be released. Can you all say...DOUBLE STANDARD ?!

I agree, Domestic violence towards women in Pro sports IS a huge problem. But, I feel to vent on Goodell about this decieion on Ray Rice is not a good example. I think calling him out for his past NOT getting Involved in past, and multiple violations of Domestic Abuse cases, like with Former Bronco and Current Bear WR Brandon Marshall, or Ex Cincy WR...and currently DEAD....Chris Henry. Those were the ones who got away with Murder on their girlfriends and spouces.
    slow clap

Legend

User Info Menu

When did Harrison clock anyone? If I recall correctly, he broke a door down, and then smashed her cell phone. Not exactly civilized behavior, but he wasn't punching a woman out at least to my knowledge.