Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray Rice gets a joke of a suspension

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    The whole Pink thing the NFL does is a total sham. They do it as an additional revenue stream with cancer research an almost forgotten side effect.

In the end, after everybody has taken their cut, only 8.01% of money spent on pink NFL merchandise is actually going towards cancer research.

Read more: [URL]http://www.businessinsider.com/small-amount-of-money-from-pink-nfl-merchandise-goes-to-breast-cancer-research-2013-10#ixzz38PcD73wh[/URL]

WHAT! Do you mean that sweet pink jersey purchase I plan to rock this year is NOT gonna benefit cancer research that much?

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    Compare the two situations. Look at the credibility of the accusers and the facts in Roethlisberger's case, then immediately follow that analysis with a viewing of the Rice video tape. You tell me which one deserves 6 games and which one should get 2. Compare Ben's case with any other suspension in the history of the league and tell us how you don't see an obvious incongruity.
    The problem is that you are looking at this as two cases.
    The softness of rices penalty is inconsistent with EVERY CASE. Never mind Ben.
    Is smoking dope worse than punching a woman?

Thus the outrage from all corners.

I can indeed compare Ben to every other case and know how it happened. Goodell is concerned with "perceptions" not justice. Nothing to do with race.

Rice is the exception not the rule. Rice is inconsistent with his ENTIRE track record.

Now "I" am going to take a POV I have never taken and have argued against.

Many have accused Goodell of having a soft spot for the Ravens. For the first time I believe it.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    The problem is that you are looking at this as two cases.
    The softness of rices penalty is inconsistent with EVERY CASE. Never mind Ben.

Thus the outrage from all corners.

I can indeed compare Ben to every other case and know how it happened. Goodell is concerned with "perceptions" not justice. Nothing to do with race.

Rice is the exception not the rule. Rice is inconsistent with his ENTIRE track record.

Now "I" am going to take a POV I have never taken and have argued against.

Many have accused Goodell of having a soft spot for the Ravens. For the first time I believe it.
    I agree that Goodell is more concerned with perceptions than justice or what's good for the game. I wonder what his response will be to all of the public outrage regarding his latest decision.

As far as this case, my comments regarding Roethlisberger are removing the focus from where it should be...the ridiculous discipline for a very heinous act. I hope both Rice and Goodell are justly and widely criticized from coast to coast.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    It's not faux outrage and you are a better poster than that...

The fact that Dan Rooney supposedly "wanted" a harsh punishment for Ben doesn't mean that Rice should punch his wife with impunity, which is okay with Roger, it seems...
    wait, what, huh? 2 games = no punishment?

How many games did JH miss due to breaking down a door and smacking his baby's mother?

The problem is Ben's 4 game suspension is viewed as a lifetime ban and Rice's 2 games are viewed as impunity.

Thus... FAUX OUTRAGE!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    wait, what, huh? 2 games = no punishment?

How many games did JH miss due to breaking down a door and smacking his baby's mother?

The problem is Ben's 4 game suspension is viewed as a lifetime ban and Rice's 2 games are viewed as impunity.

Thus... FAUX OUTRAGE!!
    A lifetime? Come on... exaggerate much? I think most people just want a little bit of consistency from Goodell.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    You can't compare this case to the drug policy (either recreational or performance-enhancing). The drug policy is collectively bargained. Players know in advance what the penalties are for a first offense and for any subsequant offenses. I don't have a problem with the drug policy or how it's enforced at this point (other than the fact the league and the union both agreed to address HGH 3 years ago, but neither side has seeming made any progress toward actual Olympics-style testing, but that is an argument for another day).

While the drug policy is consistent, enforcement of the "personal conduct" policy is anything but consistent. It's entirely in one man's hands, and he has been known to waver dramatically based on public sentiment and how much negative publicity an incident garners.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    You can't compare this case to the drug policy (either recreational or performance-enhancing). The drug policy is collectively bargained. Players know in advance what the penalties are for a first offense and for any subsequant offenses. I don't have a problem with the drug policy or how it's enforced at this point (other than the fact the league and the union both agreed to address HGH 3 years ago, but neither side has seeming made any progress toward actual Olympics-style testing, but that is an argument for another day).

While the drug policy is consistent, enforcement of the "personal conduct" policy is anything but consistent. It's entirely in one man's hands, and he has been known to waver dramatically based on public sentiment and how much negative publicity an incident garners.
    I'm waiting to see how consistent the drug policy is when the league gets around to dealing with Jim Irsay.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's from Bleacher Report, so take it with a grain of salt, but thought this was an interesting theory:

The smartest person I know associated with professional football, a former high-ranking team executive, theorized the Rice punishment was soft because it provides cover for a potentially light suspension of Jim Irsay. If the suspension of Rice was severe, the theory goes, and Irsay's, by comparison, isn't, the league would be accused of protecting ownership.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    It's from Bleacher Report, so take it with a grain of salt, but thought this was an interesting theory:

The smartest person I know associated with professional football, a former high-ranking team executive, theorized the Rice punishment was soft because it provides cover for a potentially light suspension of Jim Irsay. If the suspension of Rice was severe, the theory goes, and Irsay's, by comparison, isn't, the league would be accused of protecting ownership.
    I dont really think Goodell should be able to "punish" Irsay personally but i read this earlier....seems like a reach

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I dont really think Goodell should be able to "punish" Irsay personally but i read this earlier....seems like a reach
    Why not? If the league is so concerned about "image" and protecting it's brand,then everyone,from owners to waterboys should be held to the same standard.