Thread: How Good Can Big Ben be in 2014?

How Good Can Big Ben be in 2014?

This a FFL website article, but I found their own grading system interesting. There's more to the article, but it covers FF stuff. If you'd like to read the entire article, hit the link.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year, Ben Roethlisberger improved his play dramatically over the final two months of the season. According to our Passing Net Expected Points (NEP) metric, Roethlisberger finished 2013 as the 10th-best passer. With 20 touchdowns over the final nine games of the 2013 season, is it realistic to think that Big Ben could join the elite tier of quarterbacks in 2014?

Looking at the numbers among full-time starters over the past five years, we can set a presumable floor for Roethlisberger in 2014. He has never ranked lower than 10th according to our Passing NEP metric.

2009 - 10th
    2010 - 7th
    2011 - 9th
    2012 - 9th
    2013 - 10th

There's reason to believe that Roethlisberger can be even better this year than he was in 2013. He led the Steelers to the eighth-ranked passing offense when adjusted for strength of schedule last year, as Todd Haley allowed Roethlisberger to run the no-huddle offense over the last half of the season. In the end, Roethlisberger helped the Steelers improve 10 spots in our Passing NEP metric, up from 18th after Week 8 of the NFL season.

Roethlisberger has typically graded out well according to our metrics, but has never taken the leap into the tier of the league's elite fantasy passers. We know that efficiency metrics may not translate to top-tier fantasy production. Could it be due to the fact that Pittsburgh has lacked a true threat as a receiver at the running back position?

Our data shows a direct correlation between the contributions of a healthy Le'Veon Bell to Roethlisberger's success. Le'Veon Bell's return from injury made an incredible impact on the Steelers passing game in 2013. They vaulted to the eighth spot in Adjusted Passing Net Expected Points, up from 27th before Bell returned from injury.

Entering the third season under offensive coordinator Todd Haley, Roethlisberger has seemingly been given the reins of the offense as seen by his success over the last half of the 2013 season while running the no-huddle offense. With Heath Miller healthy once again, Antonio Brown emerging into a legitimate star at wide receiver as well as the addition of veteran Lance Moore, it's logical to expect another good season from Big Ben.

While unproven, the additions of rookie Martavis Bryant and second-year receivers Markus Wheaton and Justin Brown may help to propel the Steelers passing game to the next level as well.

http://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/2...be-this-season

Pro Bowler
    I am saying career bests in yards and TDs....which would be roughly 4400/33

Backup
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Yeah. I can go along with that.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I think he will play his best but won't have career #s in yards. Why? Because we won't be playing from behind as much and we will have a decent, if not very good, rushing game. I think we will be seeing more games where he only throws 20 times as opposed to 35, and if they can win games with Ben only dropping back 20 times, they will keep doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I think he will play his best but won't have career #s in yards. Why? Because we won't be playing from behind as much and we will have a decent, if not very good, rushing game. I think we will be seeing more games where he only throws 20 times as opposed to 35, and if they can win games with Ben only dropping back 20 times, they will keep doing it.
    I like this philosophy.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I think with the real live running game they will have more success through the air, in particular in the play action. Antonio brown might not go 110/1500 but he, heath, and (insert WR here) could have a pretty well balanced attack. All that with bell and maybe archers ability to catch and run.

I think this offense stays a primarily passing offense, but i also think the run game threat helps that, AND we can see them finish games in the 4th with the strong running attack