Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Call me a hypocrite if you like...

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I don't know why anyone thinks this guy can play TE or FB? Ya he has some size and ran the ball ok for a qb but thers a big difference between scrambling as a qb and taking a hand off. Also do we even know if Tebow can catch or block?
    Not sure he would be a good TE, but he could definitely take handoffs and run. probably 75% of his college runs were designed runs, thats not scrambling as a QB.

He runs hard and fast, but theres not nearly as much glory in being a goal line back as there is in being a QB

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    If Michael Robinson could transfer from college QB to Pro Bowl NFL FB, then I'd imagine that Tebow could at least be a semi-competent H-back type. But you never know...blocking NFL d-linemen and linebackers is extremely "want to" dependent, and if Tebow's heart isn't into it, then he would fail even if his body had enough talent to succeed in that role.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Cant say i blame him...hes arguably the greatest college QB of all time.

2x NC, 2x 1st team all american, a heisman, and a lot of glory that goes with that
    nope.

he is a great football player but he was never anywhere near the greatest of all time at QB.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    nope.

he is a great football player but he was never anywhere near the greatest of all time at QB.
    Who has those kind of credentials? 37 TDs per year, the only QB to ever run for 20 TDs and Pass for 20 TDs in the same season.

Guys like Timmy Chang, Ty Detmer, Colt Brennan, Colt Mccoy, Graham Harrell might have the gaudy passing numbers but tebow was floridas do-it-all bad boy (lol that made me laugh a little typing out)

"Not anywhere near" is a stretch, i can comfortably put him at #1, especially from who i have seen in my lifetime but I cant imagine him not being in the top 5 on any list.

I hate tebow, never thought he would be much in the pros, but i'll give him credit at the collegiate level, he got it done in a big way

Legend
    Not sure he would be a good TE, but he could definitely take handoffs and run. probably 75% of his college runs were designed runs, thats not scrambling as a QB.

He runs hard and fast, but theres not nearly as much glory in being a goal line back as there is in being a QB
    The problem is he can't run around anyone.

He tries to run through them.

It worked in college but in the NFL it's a recipe for a short career.

Pro Bowler
    He CAN run through people though...the guy is ridiculously jacked and runs very hard. Which is why i say a peyton hillis-like role. Which may not make for a long career, but at least it is a career.

Guy is pretty durable too

Legend
    Who has those kind of credentials? 37 TDs per year, the only QB to ever run for 20 TDs and Pass for 20 TDs in the same season.

Guys like Timmy Chang, Ty Detmer, Colt Brennan, Colt Mccoy, Graham Harrell might have the gaudy passing numbers but tebow was floridas do-it-all bad boy (lol that made me laugh a little typing out)

"Not anywhere near" is a stretch, i can comfortably put him at #1, especially from who i have seen in my lifetime but I cant imagine him not being in the top 5 on any list.

I hate tebow, never thought he would be much in the pros, but i'll give him credit at the collegiate level, he got it done in a big way
    ..and then we saw Cam Newton come into the SEC and carve it up.

I watched Tebow a ton in college and while he had stats it wasn't like he was doing anything special. Meyer fed him a ton of GL runs and while it was unstoppable it was also one of the main reasons he never developed as a legit QB.

Tebow had a great career but he isn't anywhere near a top 5 QB all time in the NCAA.

Legend
    He CAN run through people though...the guy is ridiculously jacked and runs very hard. Which is why i say a peyton hillis-like role. Which may not make for a long career, but at least it is a career.

Guy is pretty durable too
    look at Peyton Hillis' numbers the last few years. You can't run through guys and have a long career. Bettis survives because he was light on his feet. Guys like Okoye and Hillis have a few good years and then fall off a cliff due to injuries.

Pro Bowler
    ..and then we saw Cam Newton come into the SEC and carve it up.

I watched Tebow a ton in college and while he had stats it wasn't like he was doing anything special. Meyer fed him a ton of GL runs and while it was unstoppable it was also one of the main reasons he never developed as a legit QB.

Tebow had a great career but he isn't anywhere near a top 5 QB all time in the NCAA.
    In production and achievements he definitely is...doesnt matter how he was being used, like you said it was unstoppable. I dont know what doing anything special has to do with it, although playing well in big games seems pretty special to me.

Cam Newton is an interesting add to the conversation, he could have run away with it had he played more than 1 year. But I dont think pro success should have anything to do with being labeled as a great college or among the best college football players of all time. Leinart and Young are certainly in this conversation based on their bodies of work while in college and they suck ass just like tebow.

Who would you have #1? top 5?

When i think of the very best college players ive ever seen, id say its split about in half between being good and bad in the pros.

Pro Bowler
    look at Peyton Hillis' numbers the last few years. You can't run through guys and have a long career. Bettis survives because he was light on his feet. Guys like Okoye and Hillis have a few good years and then fall off a cliff due to injuries.
    Not arguing that....i guess given the choice id put off being an ESPN analyst for a few years and be remembered as a productive player rather than the religious virgin media circus who was a ****ing terrible QB