Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Timmons get more love?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    It really is true though. Poz is more of an old school, down hill LBer and I thought he would be great second round pick that year but his game is pretty limited.

Timmons would absolutely be a pro bowler as a WILL backer in a 43, thats the role he was meant to play. He grew into being a hell of a 34 MLB but he was a great WILL prospect

Timmons is very explosive, give you a lot of freedom with how you use him with his speed, and is very good at reading a play. I cannot think of one thing poz does better, and to me that means timmons IS head and shoulders better than poz
    I guess you can say it is our definition of head and shoulders. To me, head and shoulders is a prime Patrick Willis or Urlacher, to guys like Poz. When I look at current players, none are "head and shoulders" above. Sure, there are plenty who are better: Patrick Willis (by reputation, but still pretty good), Bowman, Timmons, a few others who escape me right now... Kuechly, maybe Laurenitis, Cushing, etc. But they all are clumped IMO. None stand out among the rest, like say (e.g.) Richard Sherman-Patrick Petersen-Revis do, compared to other current good CBs (e.g.) Ike.

Timmons, at this point in his career, is what he is: a good, solid, quiet veteran. He isn't the dynamic superstar that we hoped he would become when we drafted him... or that we hope Shazier will become.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I guess you can say it is our definition of head and shoulders. To me, head and shoulders is a prime Patrick Willis or Urlacher, to guys like Poz. When I look at current players, none are "head and shoulders" above. Sure, there are plenty who are better: Patrick Willis (by reputation, but still pretty good), Bowman, Timmons, a few others who escape me right now... Kuechly, maybe Laurenitis, Cushing, etc. But they all are clumped IMO. None stand out among the rest, like say (e.g.) Richard Sherman-Patrick Petersen-Revis do, compared to other current good CBs (e.g.) Ike.

Timmons, at this point in his career, is what he is: a good, solid, quiet veteran. He isn't the dynamic superstar that we hoped he would become when we drafted him... or that we hope Shazier will become.
    Bowman is head and shoulders above Timmons. Kuechly, in 2 years is better as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Kuechly's significantly better than anyone on the Timmons/Posluszny/Laurinaitis tier right now.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kuechley is unbelievable...he has ESP when it comes to diagnosing a play. Hes the best LB in the league right now, Willis is a close second and is still better than Bowman

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Kuechley is unbelievable...he has ESP when it comes to diagnosing a play. Hes the best LB in the league right now, Willis is a close second and is still better than Bowman
    Agreed. Kuechly's an animal. Awesome player. Dude's on par with Ray Lewis circa their first Super Bowl in the early 2000's in my mind...without the annoying loudmouth "look at me" shenanigans. If he wasn't hidden in Carolina, more people would realize this.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I also love Kiko Alonsos game....tough loss for the bills this year

Legend

User Info Menu

Lawrence Timmons taking on leadership role with Steelers

Posted by Josh Alper on July 22, 2014

The Steelers defense has seen several of their top veterans leave the team over the last couple of years, leaving only a handful of players who were key parts of the two AFC Champions of the Mike Tomlin era.

Some of them, like safety Troy Polamalu and cornerback Ike Taylor, aren’t far from their own departure from the Steelers. Linebacker Lawrence Timmons has played seven years for the team, but is only 28 and should have several more years in Pittsburgh if he stays healthy and productive. As a result, he’s taking on more of a leadership role on the defense in hopes of helping to mold the next generation of defenders into a strong unit.

“I do feel like I have to do a lot for this team. With me being one of the older guys, I understand that if everybody does their job, everyone is going to make plays,” Timmons said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I want to be a model citizen for this team because we’re very young now. I can’t get carried away with having a good time because everyone, especially the young guys, have to know there’s a time and place for everything. It’s why I do the things I do and why I carry myself a certain way.”

Last year, the Steelers defense finished outside the Top 10 in yards allowed for the first time since the 1999 season as Pittsburgh went 8-8 and missed the playoffs for the second straight season. A return to their usual spot in the rankings won’t guarantee a different outcome for the Steelers, but their additions of linebacker Ryan Shazier, safety Mike Mitchell and defensive lineman Cam Thomas show that the Steelers want to get things back on track on that side of the ball. Timmons’ leadership and play will be part of that effort as well and the linebacker seems comfortable with the pressure that comes along with that role.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/22/lawrence-timmons-taking-on-leadership-role-with-steelers/[/URL]

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Lawrence Timmons taking on leadership role with Steelers

Posted by Josh Alper on July 22, 2014

The Steelers defense has seen several of their top veterans leave the team over the last couple of years, leaving only a handful of players who were key parts of the two AFC Champions of the Mike Tomlin era.

Some of them, like safety Troy Polamalu and cornerback Ike Taylor, aren’t far from their own departure from the Steelers. Linebacker Lawrence Timmons has played seven years for the team, but is only 28 and should have several more years in Pittsburgh if he stays healthy and productive. As a result, he’s taking on more of a leadership role on the defense in hopes of helping to mold the next generation of defenders into a strong unit.

“I do feel like I have to do a lot for this team. With me being one of the older guys, I understand that if everybody does their job, everyone is going to make plays,” Timmons said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I want to be a model citizen for this team because we’re very young now. I can’t get carried away with having a good time because everyone, especially the young guys, have to know there’s a time and place for everything. It’s why I do the things I do and why I carry myself a certain way.”

Last year, the Steelers defense finished outside the Top 10 in yards allowed for the first time since the 1999 season as Pittsburgh went 8-8 and missed the playoffs for the second straight season. A return to their usual spot in the rankings won’t guarantee a different outcome for the Steelers, but their additions of linebacker Ryan Shazier, safety Mike Mitchell and defensive lineman Cam Thomas show that the Steelers want to get things back on track on that side of the ball. Timmons’ leadership and play will be part of that effort as well and the linebacker seems comfortable with the pressure that comes along with that role.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/22/lawrence-timmons-taking-on-leadership-role-with-steelers/[/URL]
    And only a shade under a decade....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    And only a shade under a decade....
    and we have been pretty damn good over the last 10 years. WTF?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

lol because he didnt come into a star studded defense with a core group of veteran players