Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Timmons get more love?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    White Penn St. LBs???
    When is the last time a white Penn St. LB ever get praise from fans? ...and in that same time period why did so many black Steeler LBS get so much love??
    That might be the dumbest comment I've seen since the Trib - Live board.

I guess you missed those drooling over Paul Poz and Sean Lee. Poz was many times held up as a better LB on this board than Timmons was.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Pro Bowler
    Im more a Kuechley guy

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I guess you missed those drooling over Paul Poz and Sean Lee. Poz was many times held up as a better LB on this board than Timmons was.
    And I would say Timmons and Poz are comparable players. And to be perfectly honest, if we had drafted Poz back then, you would see Poz jerseys all over Heinz Field. And I recognize he's from Penn St (and wherever he grew up locally)... I still think it illustrates the point.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I've watched that play a number of times...I can't see how you can place the primary blame for the fail on the NT. Could he have played it better? Yeah. But I'd have to say, on that particular play, that Timmons, Clark, and even Troy bear a greater share of the blame than the NT.
    I think that's the first time I've seen it from that angle. Mclendon definitely didn't crash. What the hell was woodley doing though?
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    And I would say Timmons and Poz are comparable players. And to be perfectly honest, if we had drafted Poz back then, you would see Poz jerseys all over Heinz Field. And I recognize he's from Penn St (and wherever he grew up locally)... I still think it illustrates the point.
    Timmons and poz are comparable in that they play inside linebacker.

It ends there

I think Timmons doesn't get the love that others do because he has never been anything more than above average. He has never made a probowl in his career. Not once. In a linebacker friendly system. Even after all the alternates and the main guys bow out, he has never made a probowl. That says something about how he is perceived throughout the league.

He is an overall good player, but there is no way that he is worth $12 million or whatever his cap hit is. Not close. He makes steady tackles, but he can easily be blocked out of plays. Also, despite all his accolades as a good coverage guy, I've seen him torched by mediocre tight ends time after time.

He is a good player, above-average, but far from elite.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I think Timmons doesn't get the love that others do because he has never been anything more than above average. He has never made a probowl in his career. Not once. In a linebacker friendly system. Even after all the alternates and the main guys bow out, he has never made a probowl. That says something about how he is perceived throughout the league.

He is an overall good player, but there is no way that he is worth $12 million or whatever his cap hit is. Not close. He makes steady tackles, but he can easily be blocked out of plays. Also, despite all his accolades as a good coverage guy, I've seen him torched by mediocre tight ends time after time.

the 34 isnt nearly as LB friendly for a MLB as a 43 is.

Timmons might be the best player on the defense. He commands the field, he grew into being a linebacker that can take on guards and stop the run, and he can run with a lot of guys you wouldnt expect him to be able to.

"easily blocked" and "torched time after time" just isnt true when evaluating his body of work.

And his $12 million cap hit is because they kept restructuring, which sucks at some point but its workable for now. Im pretty sure they didnt backload further this year, so it is definitely worth taking the hit, especially since they had an epic run at FA

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

Pretty much agree on everything you said here. A common misconception is that Timmons has "elite speed". He's not Shazier. He was clocked at 4.66 and that was when he was 20 pounds lighter than what he is now. Currently, He's a 4.8 guy.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Pretty much agree on everything you said here. A common misconception is that Timmons has "elite speed". He's not Shazier. He was clocked at 4.66 and that was when he was 20 pounds lighter than what he is now. Currently, He's a 4.8 guy.
    lol thats one hell of a clock you have in your head...do you see timmons run 40 yards in a straight line very often?

He has top end speed for his position and can run stride for stride with most guys on the roster. 40 yards means nothing, he has great burst, quickness, and speed in traffic regardless if hes a "4.8 guy"

Shazier just has top end speed for a human in general

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Timmons and poz are comparable in that they play inside linebacker.

It ends there
    Poz had 162 tackles last year. 3 sacks, on a Jags team far worse than we were. Timmons 126 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 ints. (I know, I know, 4-3 ILB not comparable to 3-4 ILB so not quite apple to apple comparison.) But I think we all know, if Poz played in Pgh he'd be far, far more popular than LT, with any where near equal play of LT. There would be Poz jerseys all over the place - probably be a top 5 jersey in Pgh. I have yet to see a LT jersey being worn by a Steeler fan that I recall (but I don't live in WPA either, but there are tons of Steeler fans in FL). For one, the name alone is so yinzer. For another, he is white and has "the look." I guess there is more than one factor involved. Even if LT had a mean streak and played angry, he'd be more popular. But he's just a steady player, with a very middle-of-the-road, even-keeled personality. But as far as his play goes, he was one of the best players on the field for us last year. He is a very solid player.