Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 120

Thread: Why doesn't Timmons get more love?

  1. #31
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,594
    White Penn St. LBs???
    When is the last time a white Penn St. LB ever get praise from fans? ...and in that same time period why did so many black Steeler LBS get so much love??
    That might be the dumbest comment I've seen since the Trib - Live board.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  2. #32
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,594
    I remember when everyone hated Levon Kirkland and thought Eric Ravotti was better. :eye roll:
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Every time I watch the Steelers, I always come away feeling like Timmons is everything we could ever have hoped for. He is so steady. solid like a rock, rarely misses a tackle (can't say the same about Troy), has never got in any trouble off the field, always has the right attitude and says the right things...and yet, it doesn't seem like Steeler fan appreciates him.
    Because it took him longer than a game to become a good player.


    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Because he's not a white LB from Penn State who is a local boy that everyone wanted to see on the Steelers. Plus since he was the very first #1 pick by Tomlin, he automatically becomes the whipping boy for all those who hate Tomlin and always will.
    That's definitely a factor too. His last name doesn't end in -wicz or -elli, and yinzers prefer names that do. Furthermore, Lawrence Timmons has some of the darkest skin on the team, and Mike Tomlin's skin is just about as dark. Yinzers have no tolerance of black people with financial security, let alone power.


    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    The factor of people wanting to hate on him because he is Tomlin's first pick....I hope that's not true very often. That is beyond small-minded.
    The closer you get to the city of Pittsburgh, the less true it is, and the farther you get from the city of Pittsburgh, the more true it is.


    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Not saying it isn't true. Just saying that it's absolutely retarded.
    Well many yinzers are, so...


    Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    Timmons is a good player but if he were white he'd be a great player.
    And if he went by "Dom," then he'd be the best LB in Steelers history.

    ---

    DISCLAIMER: My definition of a yinzer is not general or superficial. It is not simply a term for somebody who lives in the Pittsburgh area or speaks with a western Pennsylvania accent. A yinzer is a lower-middle-class white citizen of western Pennsylvania with tendencies toward racism, homophobia, xenophobia and ethnocentrism. He loves WDVE, and he claims to love Pittsburgh's sports teams, but he hates everything else about the city of Pittsburgh, and he starts hating the teams he claims to love the moment they start losing. He blames everybody else for his problems, and his idea of a good time involves an abundance and/or variety of toxic chemicals in his bloodstream.

    As Allegheny County becomes too diverse for his liking and too expensive for his income, he's not nearly as common in the urban core as he used to be, but is becoming more common in the outer exurbs and the nearby hinterlands. It's no coincidence that yinzer culture reached its zenith during the 1980s and 1990s, when Pittsburgh and western Pennsylvania had the least going for it. As the city and Allegheny County continue to move forward, the yinzer will become an anachronism.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    As Allegheny County becomes too diverse for his liking and too expensive for his income, he's not nearly as common in the urban core as he used to be, but is becoming more common in the outer exurbs and the nearby hinterlands. It's no coincidence that yinzer culture reached its zenith during the 1980s and 1990s, when Pittsburgh and western Pennsylvania had the least going for it. As the city and Allegheny County continue to move forward, the yinzer will become an anachronism.
    Is that about that time in sixth grade? Is that what this is about? That time is sixth grade I made you eat one of your socks? I've apologized for that. All this lingering bitterness is doing you no good at all.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    I completely disagree. If you watch the replay, Mclendon crashes so hard to the right that a hole a bus could drive through opened up. NT in a 3-4 CANNOT crash or guess.
    I've watched that play a number of times...I can't see how you can place the primary blame for the fail on the NT. Could he have played it better? Yeah. But I'd have to say, on that particular play, that Timmons, Clark, and even Troy bear a greater share of the blame than the NT.

  6. #36
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,580
    That Pryor run gets way to much attention. 1 play where a really fast guy found a hole....jeez, dwell much?

    Steelers could have won that game if Antonio Brown didnt hand tracy porter an interception

  7. #37
    Backup Notleadpoisoned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NotPittsburgh
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    ---

    DISCLAIMER: My definition of a yinzer is not general or superficial. It is not simply a term for somebody who lives in the Pittsburgh area or speaks with a western Pennsylvania accent. A yinzer is a lower-middle-class white citizen of western Pennsylvania with tendencies toward racism, homophobia, xenophobia and ethnocentrism. He loves WDVE, and he claims to love Pittsburgh's sports teams, but he hates everything else about the city of Pittsburgh, and he starts hating the teams he claims to love the moment they start losing. He blames everybody else for his problems, and his idea of a good time involves an abundance and/or variety of toxic chemicals in his bloodstream.

    As Allegheny County becomes too diverse for his liking and too expensive for his income, he's not nearly as common in the urban core as he used to be, but is becoming more common in the outer exurbs and the nearby hinterlands. It's no coincidence that yinzer culture reached its zenith during the 1980s and 1990s, when Pittsburgh and western Pennsylvania had the least going for it. As the city and Allegheny County continue to move forward, the yinzer will become an anachronism.
    I guess stereotyping Yinzers is still fair game in this PC world that we live in.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    That Pryor run gets way to much attention.
    Agreed. And that one play really doesn't define anyone's career, whether it be Timmons or anyone else.

    I didn't bring that play up...I was simply responding to a post that seemed to infer that on that play, Timmons was less to blame than the NT. I don't see it. I think Timmons gets a big share of the blame on that play.

    But every player makes a mistake now and then. I like Timmons...I would say he's been the Steelers' best, most consistent defensive player over the past couple of years. I hate to think how bad the D would have been without him.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    I guess stereotyping Yinzers is still fair game in this PC world that we live in.
    The term "yinzer" is, itself, stereotypical...

  10. #40
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Is that about that time in sixth grade? Is that what this is about? That time is sixth grade I made you eat one of your socks? I've apologized for that. All this lingering bitterness is doing you no good at all.
    hilarious...

    and for the record this IS a typical yinzer response.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •