Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: All indications: the wing tip has been raised

Is Pittsburgh Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin On the Hot Seat?

by Brendan Driscoll

After two straight 8-8 seasons the Steelers are on the verge of making a type of history you’d rather not be remembered for. The Steelers haven’t had three consecutive non-winning seasons since 1969-71, Chuck Noll’s first three years as coach. If the team can’t produce a winning season in 2014 the questions about Mike Tomlin‘s job security are sure to arise. The last time the Steelers missed the playoffs three consecutive years was under Bill Cowher between 1998-2000. 14 years ago I’m sure the media and fans began to call of Cowher’s head but the Steelers never made the move to replace Cowher and guess what happened. They went 13-3 the next year and played in the AFC Championship. If Tomlin fails to reach the playoffs this year, will people begin to beg for the Rooney’s to make a move? Seven years into his head coaching career, Tomlin has the exact same record Cowher had after his first seven seasons, 71-41. Cowher however only missed the playoffs one time in his first seven seasons, compared to Tomlin who has missed the playoffs three times. The 42-year-old Tomlin is still one of the youngest coaches in the NFL and according to some of his quotes in a tribune article he has no plans to leave the Steel City or a timetable of when he wants to stop coaching.

Personally, I don’t think there is any way Tomlin gets fired after the upcoming season unless they go 1-15. The Steelers don’t fire coaches. We all know since 1969 they have only had three guys be the head coach. Noll and Cowher were great coaches but it seems like Tomlin’s reputation is still on the line despite being a Super Bowl winning coach. You could argue that the team he took to the title in 2008 was still Bill Cowher’s team but the facts are that Tomlin got the job done against Arizona Cardinals. He also got back to the Super Bowl in 2010, matching Cowher’s total number of Super Bowl appearances. Sure missing the playoffs the past two year has stunk but all the blame should not be put on the head coach. You could point to a number of things that went wrong to produce a 16-16 record.

The Steelers have never been a public opinion run team. The front office has never been reactionary when it comes the media hounding them for action. The Rooney’s most likely believe in Mike Tomlin and have never even brought up the possibility of firing him. If the Rooney’s think Tomlin is the right guy for the job, who am I to argue otherwise?

http://nicepickcowher.com/2014/07/20...mlin-hot-seat/

Pro Bowler
    Personally, I don’t think there is any way Tomlin gets fired after the upcoming season unless they go 1-15. The Steelers don’t fire coaches. We all know since 1969 they have only had three guys be the head coach. Noll and Cowher were great coaches but it seems like Tomlin’s reputation is still on the line despite being a Super Bowl winning coach. You could argue that the team he took to the title in 2008 was still Bill Cowher’s team but the facts are that Tomlin got the job done against Arizona Cardinals. He also got back to the Super Bowl in 2010, matching Cowher’s total number of Super Bowl appearances. Sure missing the playoffs the past two year has stunk but all the blame should not be put on the head coach. You could point to a number of things that went wrong to produce a 16-16 record.

The Steelers have never been a public opinion run team. The front office has never been reactionary when it comes the media hounding them for action. The Rooney’s most likely believe in Mike Tomlin and have never even brought up the possibility of firing him. If the Rooney’s think Tomlin is the right guy for the job, who am I to argue otherwise?
    Firstly, a # of things went wrong that wasn't the head coach's fault....and a # of things that went wrong WERE the HC's fault. Not everything, but certainly some. Team discipline is on the head coach, at the end of the day. How many untimely flags did we see. That is on Tomlin, period.

Secondly, although I agree it's unlikely he will be fired, he still had a whoopin' behind the wood shed with a wing tip. That doesn't mean he is close to being fired, but it does mean he got the message, loud and clear from Rooney's wing tip. You can tell MT knows he better pop dis thang.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Excuse me? He had 3 play off misses? Try two. They were a play off team in 2011, missed them 2012, 2013. That makes two, not three.
    2009 + 2012 + 2013 = 3 playoff misses. Pop that thang in your wing tip.

Legend
    Firstly, a # of things went wrong that wasn't the head coach's fault....and a # of things that went wrong WERE the HC's fault. Not everything, but certainly some. Team discipline is on the head coach, at the end of the day. How many untimely flags did we see. That is on Tomlin, period.

Secondly, although I agree it's unlikely he will be fired, he still had a whoopin' behind the wood shed with a wing tip. That doesn't mean he is close to being fired, but it does mean he got the message, loud and clear from Rooney's wing tip. You can tell MT knows he better pop dis thang.
    So Coordinators get a pass (we know one does) on how their players execute on the field? I think they have more control over discipline and needless penalties than the head coach who should set the tone but the Coordinators and their coaches are the executors
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

If he isn't on the hot seat, he's damn close. I think this team is close to being a legit contender...maybe even this year but definitely next year. They have the talent to be a dangerous team and a playoff team. They aren't lacking talent IMO. If they can't do anything better than 8-8 this year, I think his job is in jeopardy...it would almost have to be.

Let me chime in... The Steelers was least penalized team in the league last year.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    2009 + 2012 + 2013 = 3 playoff misses. Pop that thang in your wing tip.
    I didn't think 5 years ago was really relevant. If you do, pop dat thang with a wingtip.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    If he isn't on the hot seat, he's damn close. I think this team is close to being a legit contender...maybe even this year but definitely next year. They have the talent to be a dangerous team and a playoff team. They aren't lacking talent IMO. If they can't do anything better than 8-8 this year, I think his job is in jeopardy...it would almost have to be.
    Won a Super Bowl, went to two. Now two .500 seasons. All other teams would not consider that hot seat area. Most teams would not consider it hot seat territory with just two 8-8 seasons, forget the SBs, but add them in, and he is still pretty safe. Plus the Rooneys live to brag about so few head coach changes since 1969.

Won a Super Bowl, went to two. Now two .500 seasons. All other teams would not consider that hot seat area. Most teams would not consider it hot seat territory with just two 8-8 seasons, forget the SBs, but add them in, and he is still pretty safe. Plus the Rooneys live to brag about so few head coach changes since 1969.
    Actually, teams with high expectations with a talented team and a franchise QB **WOULD** consider two back-to-back .500 seasons entering the hot seat arena.

Ok... let's just go with this for a second... With the talent on this team, how long is 8-8 acceptable before Tomlin is on the hot seat? 1 more year? 2? 3? 4? Until Ben's retirement? When? This can't go on forever.

With the amount of TO from talent, you cannot expect a better job than what Tomlin did. They held on to old vets too long.