Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Position preview: Cornerback

Legend

User Info Menu

Position preview: Cornerback

Position preview: Cornerback

July, 17, 2014
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

Next in a series that looks at every position on offense and defense with training camp approaching, we take a look at the Steelers' cornerbacks.

Returning starters: Ike Taylor and Cortez Allen. Taylor enters his 10th season as a starter and with something to prove. The 6-2, 195-pounder struggled to keep pace with marquee wide receivers in 2013 and the Steelers stopped moving him around the field late in the season. Allen has the size and balls skills to succeed Taylor as the Steelers’ No. 1 cornerback but he has to put it together for an entire season.

New faces: Brice McCain and Shaquille Richardson. McCain signed a one-year, $795,000 contract with the Steelers after falling out of favor in Houston. The Steelers used the first of their two fifth-round picks on Richardson, the only cornerback they selected in the draft.

On the bubble: Isaiah Green and Devin Smith. Green spent nine games on the 53-man roster last season but played in just three of them. Smith was on and off the Steelers’ practice squad in 2013.

By the numbers: Steelers cornerbacks have combined for 18 interceptions in the last five seasons. Washington Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall has 21 interceptions during that span.

Did you know: Rod Woodson is the last Steelers cornerback to make the Pro Bowl and that happened in 1997. Mel Blount and Woodson are the only two Steelers’ cornerbacks to earn a Pro Bowl selection since 1979.

Quotable: “I’ve had an opportunity to be around great veterans who taught me and who have been here for a number of years. That’s what makes us a special group. We’re so close, there’s no ego and it helps us get better as a whole.” – Allen.

Outlook: This group will be closely scrutinized after the Steelers did little, at least on paper, to improve it. Taylor, who is 34, isn’t getting any younger, but he keeps himself in excellent shape and is plenty motivated after having to accept a pay cut to return to the Steelers. William Gay is a solid No. 3 cornerback who is essentially a starter with how often the Steelers employ their nickel defense. Antwon Blake is poised for a bigger role after playing primarily on special teams and McCain, 27, is young enough to bounce back after regressing last season in Houston. The Steelers need more interceptions from their cornerbacks, and Allen taking another step this season -- and staying healthy -- could go a long way toward the position producing more takeaways.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/7585/position-preview-cornerback[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Did you know: Rod Woodson is the last Steelers cornerback to make the Pro Bowl and that happened in 1997. Mel Blount and Woodson are the only two Steelers’ cornerbacks to earn a Pro Bowl selection since 1979.
    You know what sucks... Ike should've probably made one Pro Bowl in his time in the league. He won't anymore.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    You know what sucks... Ike should've probably made one Pro Bowl in his time in the league. He won't anymore.
    It's hard to make a pro bowl if you have hands like 2 x 4 boards. Such a low pick rate won't get you there because on paper there is little to indicate superior play. It's just the way it is.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Another completely un-insightful "preview" by these guys. Ready. Preview. Ike, Allen starters, Gay #3, a bunch of scrubs and unknowns other than that. Done in far fewer words.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

As much as I like Shazier's athletic ability ....thinking about our CB situation not only this yr but the following is depressing.... Denard seemed like the obvious pick
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    As much as I like Shazier's athletic ability ....thinking about our CB situation not only this yr but the following is depressing....
    It's definitely one of the biggest question marks with this team. They didn't do much to address it. Will what they did be enough? We shall see.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    As much as I like Shazier's athletic ability ....thinking about our CB situation not only this yr but the following is depressing.... Denard seemed like the obvious pick
    I hope Shazier blows up the league and is obviously the bigger play maker than Dennard. But I know as I watched their pick announced I was shocked and ticked off they didn't take Dennard. It didn't help matters that Cinci got him at 24. I hope that decisions doesn't haunt us for the next decade.

Legend

User Info Menu

The CB position will make or break this season. They won't be able to hold up if the front 7 continues their steady decline in the ability to pressure and sack the QB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I hope Shazier blows up the league and is obviously the bigger play maker than Dennard. But I know as I watched their pick announced I was shocked and ticked off they didn't take Dennard. It didn't help matters that Cinci got him at 24. I hope that decisions doesn't haunt us for the next decade.
    Passing on a middle of the pack CB prospect doesnt haunt teams for a decade

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Passing on a middle of the pack CB prospect doesnt haunt teams for a decade
    Like you, I don't think it's likely that passing on Dennard will "haunt" the Steelers "for a decade"...but I wouldn't call Dennard a "middle of the pack CB prospect." Most of the scouts had him rated in their top 3 or top 4 CBs of the entire draft class...that's not "middle of the pack."