Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Johnny Manziel Heat Up Steelers And Browns Rivalry?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    For being bad for so long and having some #1 overall picks and drafting outside of the top 10 what once? twice? in the last decade...the sheer odds alone would make you think they would have stumbled on at least a decent QB by now but they have been unlucky with the first round guys Couch, Quinn, Weeden, unsuccessful grooming the mid round guys Mccoy, Frye, and unsuccessful with the ridiculous amount of journeymen
    I hear you. I think they have done a poor job at developing QB talent...but more with eyeing QB talent. The only guy in that group do I feel they ruined was Couch.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I still think it's weird that Quinn, Weeden, and Manziel were all taken with pick #22, and it was their second 1st round pick each time (Joe Thomas with 1.3 before Brady Quinn at 1.22 in 2007, Trent Richardson with 1.3 before Brandon Weeden at 1.22 in 2012, and Justin Gilbert at 1.8 before Johnny Manziel at 1.22 in 2014).
    Didnt realize that....they are ****ed

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    You all are talking crazy. Manziel isn't Colt McCoy. He is one of the greatest college playmakers at QB...ever. And he has enough confidence and ability that the transition won't be as difficult as some make it to be. He is the next great hated, and will cause headaches for the Steelers for years to come (unless he ends up cracked out or in prison...both possibilities). Get this guy a WR and it's going to be on. Personally, I am looking forward to it...about time to get the rivalry heated up again.
    Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jeff George all were great college play makers (Young and Russell very similar to Manziel); each had confidence as well, until Manziel makes plays in the NFL, he's no different than these guys. The rivalry will be a rivalry when he's at least as good as Joe Flacco or Andy Dalton and I question whether those two are good enough to carry their teams. We'll find out this year about Flacco and the shine on Dalton is becoming a bit tarnished, he may not be all that he's made out to be by the media.

There's no way for me to believe that Manziel is going to cause headaches for the Steelers at this point and, especially, since we've just increased the speed of the defense two fold over the off season. Manziel's best attribute may be neutralized by speedy defenses, he'll have to prove he can make plays in the pocket which is where every great NFL quarterback earned his stripes, until then, he's just another quarterback that has potential.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    "In two games vs. LSU, reigning Heisman Trophy winner completed 45 of 97 passes (46.4 percent) for 500 yards, one touchdown and five interceptions. In two losses to the Tigers by a combined score of 58-29, Johnny Football rushed the ball 29 times for 72 yards (2.5 yards per carry) and no touchdowns."

Whew, good thing for Cleveland that LSU isnt in the NFL
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jeff George all were great college play makers (Young and Russell very similar to Manziel); each had confidence as well, until Manziel makes plays in the NFL, he's no different than these guys. The rivalry will be a rivalry when he's at least as good as Joe Flacco or Andy Dalton and I question whether those two are good enough to carry their teams. We'll find out this year about Flacco and the shine on Dalton is becoming a bit tarnished, he may not be all that he's made out to be by the media.

There's no way for me to believe that Manziel is going to cause headaches for the Steelers at this point and, especially, since we've just increased the speed of the defense two fold over the off season. Manziel's best attribute may be neutralized by speedy defenses, he'll have to prove he can make plays in the pocket which is where every great NFL quarterback earned his stripes, until then, he's just another quarterback that has potential.

Pappy
    Fair enough to take a wait and see approach. I think it's level headed and prudent. What I am saying is I see something different in this kid and I believe he is going to be a great football player at the next level. Nothing more.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    Whew, good thing for Cleveland that LSU isnt in the NFL
    Well, they call LSU the "Bayou Bengals" and now Manziel plays in a division with the Cincitucky Bengals.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

K, you make a valid point. With that said, what this team has lacked for many many years is a franchise QB. They haven't had that since Kosar.
    Yes, but Manziel personally seems raw and immature. Who is the mentor who will change that? The Steelers have a long tradition of veteran players taking youngsters under their wings in order to groom them. They do this selflessly, despite the fact that these same players will be competing for their own jobs.

Manziel seems like the sort of person who would require that type of peer mentoring. I don't see a team, that is watching as their most dangerous weapon self-destructs, with that type of internal structure.

Legend

User Info Menu

Fair enough to take a wait and see approach. I think it's level headed and prudent. What I am saying is I see something different in this kid and I believe he is going to be a great football player at the next level. Nothing more.
    I knew that, but thought I'd bust your chops a bit. And, I'm not a fan of Manziel, just based off of his seemingly endless need to be in the spotlight in some fashion.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Starter

User Info Menu

I agree with Merril Hoge's take on Manziel" He has absolutely no instinct or feel for pocket awareness. He has an instinct to run. That's a bad instinct if you're going to have that in the National Football League. You have to play in the pocket with traffic around you and throw it. When traffic comes around him, he runs, and that's dangerous in the National Football League. His skill set does not transition to the National Football League, and it is a big, big risk. In fact, I see bust written all over him, especially if he's drafted in the first round."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I knew that, but thought I'd bust your chops a bit. And, I'm not a fan of Manziel, just based off of his seemingly endless need to be in the spotlight in some fashion.

Pappy
    And I think that is the the problem most have with Manziel. They want to see him fail...want him humbled.
    Trolls are people too.