Thread: Mike Tomlin on RB's and other things

Mike Tomlin on RB's and other things

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-player...running-attack <------video

Mike Tomlin isn't giving any hints on how he plans to deploy his backfield options this season.

The Pittsburgh Steelers coach told NFL Media's Lindsay Rhodes and Brian Baldinger on Friday that he plans to let the training camp and preseason play of Le'Veon Bell, LeGarrette Blount and Dri Archer determine a pecking order in 2014.

"Le'Veon Bell has had a great offseason," Tomlin said on Friday's edition of NFL Total Access. "He's really shown that he is excited about taking the next step in terms of work that he's done thus far, particularly from a conditioning standpoint.

"LeGarrette Blount has a definite football playing personality, one that not only is evident on the field but in the locker room. Think he's going to be positive to our efforts."

Tomlin also expressed his wish to get the ball in the hands of third-round pick Dri Archer. Tomlin called Archer a "speed guy" who will play both running back and wide receiver.

"I'm excited about letting these guys sort themselves out from a division of labor standpoint," Tomlin said. "I know that they're all committed to being a significant component to what we do."

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette observed last month that the Steelers "mixed and matched" Bell and Blount during minicamp, a possible sign Blount could have a bigger role than originally anticipated.

Still, Bell's workload and growth last season tells us he'll be The Man in Pittsburgh. We imagine a 75/20/5 touch split for Bell, Blount and Archer in 2014.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ision-of-labor

Legend
    I also think we will see Blount on the field more than many think. Keep the fire lit under Bell's butt plus keep him fresh throughout the season.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I also think we will see Blount on the field more than many think. Keep the fire lit under Bell's butt plus keep him fresh throughout the season.
    I agree. Blount is too good to sit. But, I will say this much will depend on OL play. Believe it or not, your best option if the OL is crap...is Bell. Blount struggles without some holes. Not that Bell doesn't but he seems to find a way of getting production.

Tomlin takes ninth spot on NFL coach power rankings

By Christopher Carter on Jul 15 2014

In their preseason power rankings of NFL head coaches, Steelers' coach Mike Tomlin is ranked just inside of the top 10 for nfl.com

Earlier this afternoon, Elliot Harrison released power rankings for each of the 32 NFL head coaches.

Pittsburgh Steelers' head coach, Mike Tomlin, came in at 9th in the rankings. This placed him in between Andy Reid 10 and John Fox 8.

The team's recent back-to-back 8-8 seasons have changed public perception of the Pittsburgh coach as he enters his eighth year with the Steelers. The same coach that won two AFC championships and a Super Bowl in his first four seasons with the team has run into questions as to whether or not he is, or should be, in the coaching hot seat in Pittsburgh.

Tomlin ranks in this list as the lowest ranked head coach who has won a Super Bowl championship during their tenure(s) as head coach in the NFL.

Ahead of him is Seattle Seahawks' coach, Pete Carroll (7), Green Bay Packers' coach Mike McCarthy (6), New York Giants' Tom Coughlin (5), Baltimore Ravens' coach, John Harbaugh (4) and his brother Jim Harbaugh (3).

The top two coaches were Sean Payton (2) of the New Orleans Saints and Bill Belichek of the New England Patriots (1).

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...-2014-steelers

I could argue the Harbough brothers placement on that list and bump Tomlin a few slots.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Is John Fox 8th, or is Peyton Manning 8th in reality?