Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Pouncey in the news again

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    No one settles out of court unless the plaintiff has the possibility to cause grief. Personally, if I was 100% falsely accused, I would bury her. I actually think she is a lying scum bag - that's not the point. When someone says, "The case fizzled" it usually would indicate no settlement of any kind was reached and the plaintiff got nothing. I know of a company that was in a suit and when the prosecuting attorney was right about to mail all past employees over the matter of unpaid overtime, the company raced to an out of court settlement. I wonder why? Someone might try to claim that case "fizzled" but that wasn't the case there either.
    Easier said than done. Every lawsuit carries risk. The risk varies based on the merits of the case, the jurisdiction, skill of the plaintiff's lawyer, etc. With a celebrity like Ben, the mere mention of the allegations harms his brand, regardless of whether the allegations have merit or not. If you or I get sued, it's likely that nobody knows about the suit. Your name is not dragged through the papers daily.

Settling a lawsuit, particularly for a public figure, is a business decision. You stop the publicity and also eliminate the risk of a jury trial. What if you get a Ravens fan on the jury?

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Easier said than done. Every lawsuit carries risk. The risk varies based on the merits of the case, the jurisdiction, skill of the plaintiff's lawyer, etc. With a celebrity like Ben, the mere mention of the allegations harms his brand, regardless of whether the allegations have merit or not. If you or I get sued, it's likely that nobody knows about the suit. Your name is not dragged through the papers daily.

Settling a lawsuit, particularly for a public figure, is a business decision. You stop the publicity and also eliminate the risk of a jury trial. What if you get a Ravens fan on the jury?
    I don't disagree with any of the above. But still, I wouldn't call any suit settled out of court as having "fizzled out" that is all. The person claiming that obviously didn't know a settlement was reached.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Again? I never left.
    You did leave when you were kicked out under your previous name lloydroid.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Oh scnap...he didn't think about the matching ip addresses in the moderator logs.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    does Crash hold the all-time record for most board aliases?

sick beats, wrong again. I followed the case closely and was aware that the case had been settled. I practiced law for 35 years. I know how these things work. You, OTOH, don't know doogie. Among lawyers, a suit filed with great fanfare and demands for big money starts to fizzle when the plaintiff publicly and drastically lowers her demand before the defense has even made an offer. When the defense not only rejects that demand but ridicules it, and the case is later settled with monetary terms not disclosed, it means she "caved".

Use the search engine of your choice and the search term "Roethlisberger rejects settlement". Browse the dozens of articles that come up. Note how the plaintiff and her lawyer were ridiculed, their competence and sanity even questioned, how one commentator called their conduct "bizarre". Even Ben's lawyer publicly suggested that the woman was mentally ill. You beginning to get the idea?
    Last edited by RobinCole; 07-18-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    does Crash hold the all-time record for most board aliases?
    No doubt he is.
    My question......has Crash been banned more times under his various names than all other banned people combined?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    No doubt he is.
    My question......has Crash been banned more times under his various names than all other banned people combined?
    If you don't include banning the bots that are trying to sell knockoff jerseys, then probably, yeah.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    No doubt he is.
    He's a legend when it comes to embarrassing record-setting. He's been kicked off more discussion boards than TO was kicked off teams! Has anyone ever made more predictions that didn't come true? But with such a volume of them, one is bound to be right from time to time and there he'll be within nanoseconds, touting his vast wisdom.
    Last edited by Eich; 07-18-2014 at 12:49 PM.

My favorite is when he comes back telling everyone that he's been saying something or other on here for years and years, and someone calls him out by stating he's officially been a member for, like, 4 days.