Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over under win lines, Pgh at 8.5

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Over under win lines, Pgh at 8.5

[url]https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutdown-corner/predicting-over-or-under-on-2014-nfl-season-win-totals-for-all-32-teams-175305574.html[/url]

The writer says to take the under. No way. I strongly feel they will win at least 9 games, unless we get slammed with injuries. I feel Pgh wins 10-12.

To me, the easiest $ is on Philly at 9 wins. I take over all day long. I think Chip Kelly is the truth. Foley played amazingly last season. OK, so teams have film on him and will defend him better, but he played too well to just fall off a cliff. They got Slim Shady, and added Sproles, who Kelly will use like a mad scientist. I think Philly could make it all the way to the NFC Championship game. (I don't know if they will have the horses to beat SF or Seattle at that point).

They got Panthers at 8.5. No way. Bet the over. Their D is exceptional. Cam is experienced now. They seem weak at WR, but they got everything else going for them. The Panthers gave SF everything they could handle last play offs.

The Steelers are gonna step on the gas peddle. I love how everyone has them off the radar. Gas peddle. One of the great jams of all time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Philly at 9? No way i would take the over on that

Legend

User Info Menu

i like the over on all of them
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Sure, the Panthers have a dominant front seven...

...however...

...Carolina has zero holdovers at WR, the new wideouts are unable to develop chemistry with Cam because he is still rehabbing from ankle surgery, the o-line is in shambles after Jordan Gross' sudden retirement, the ridiculous salaries that are paid to underwhelming RB's are crippling the team's salary cap, and their secondary leaves a lot to be desired with Mike Mitchell and Captain Munnerlyn signing elsewhere.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Philly team I saw really developed as the season progressed. Kelly's ways do indeed translate to the NFL. In their div. they have a depleted Dallas team with a structure that simply doesn't work (owner takes too many head coach jobs, leaving head coach without authority or respect from the players), Giants may rebound some, but what do they really have, Skins may rebound to being .500-ish, but not a juggernaut. I wouldn't be surprised to see Philly go 12-4.

[url]http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Eagles-Announce-2014-Schedule/b0e56dfe-209c-4ba5-b43a-2410e14e3841[/url]

They may lose to SF, GB, Indy, AZ and a div. game. I see them winning the rest.

...Carolina has zero holdovers at WR, the new wideouts are unable to develop chemistry with Cam because he is still rehabbing from ANKLE SURGERY, the o-line is in shambles after Jordan Gross' sudden retirement, the ridiculous salaries that are paid to underwhelming RB's are crippling the team's salary cap, and their secondary leaves a lot to be desired with Mike Mitchell and Captain Munnerlyn signing elsewhere.
    While the above are things to consider, I wouldn't stick a fork in the Panthers. While Cam not being able to work with a weak WR group to begin with, it is July, not Spet. - they still have time. They did drafter Benjamin (who some of us think is overrated)

And I don't think the retirement of one OLmen spells doom for the unit. Yes, they have two running backs being paid too much and I was surprised they didn't dump at least one of those guys; it's not like finding a RB is impossible to do, especially with how low they are drafted now. And Cam is a beast. I just don't see Carolina falling off very far with that D.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

saying kellys scheme works in the NFL is like saying the wildcat was a success....such a small sample size.

The defense is still horrible, they lost desean jackson....maclin coming off a blown knee, cooper, and rookie jordan matthews are the top targets

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    saying kellys scheme works in the NFL is like saying the wildcat was a success....such a small sample size.

The defense is still horrible, they lost desean jackson....maclin coming off a blown knee, cooper, and rookie jordan matthews are the top targets
    There are some major differences. The Wildcat is just old school football revised. Once teams actually schemed against it, it could be beat. Kelly's system is about spacing, opening things up. I don't see how a D can defend it with scheme; you find a way to cover one area and he hits you with the other. Jackson is good, but not irreplaceable in this system. Shady and Sproles are going to terrorize Ds alone. And they drafted Jordan Mathews, who is gonna pop dat thang.

[url]http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/5/9/5695158/nfl-draft-results-jordan-matthews-philadelphia-eagles-vanderbilt[/url]

Then he followed right up and grabbed Josh Huff. He already played in Kelly's system.

[url]http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/5/9/5701142/nfl-draft-results-josh-huff-philadelphia-eagles-oregon-ducks[/url]

Just watch and see. Kelly is gonna smash it. And the D will be markedly improved, starting with that monster Smith out of L-ville. He is a beast.

[url]http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/5/8/5697826/nfl-draft-results-marcus-smith-philadelphia-eagles-louisville[/url]

Philly is gonna pop dat thang.

Starter

User Info Menu

Cool

As of now I take the over. But by cut down time in August I expect to double it. Even if only half of the positive reports being made so far are accurate.

But you say the writer does not think so. Wonder what he is basing that guess on? Perhaps some of the following.

1. The expected front 7 pressure on the QB does not materialize. Too little production from the R-L OLB's. The DL and ILB can't overcome it.

2. The improved play of the secondary also does not happen. A result of course of lack of QB pressure.

3. Year 3 of the new offense. But many of the players are new at it. Maybe it needs more years to be implemented.

4. Maybe the new version of the BR/TH alliance and mutual admiration society is just a myth.

5. While Munchak may have been an all pro you still need the horses. OL may still be just average at best.

6. Possibly Pit has lost it's draft magic. Maybe the high expectations of the past 2 draft classes is over rated.

These are just a few of the questions that will be answered this season.

Like I said by late Aug I expect to reevaluate the bet. Probably will increase it, but then again maybe not. [from 1 shot and beer to two] I'm really not into this betting thing much.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like the Steelers over, for sure. I think the biggest upgrade will be on our Offensive Line, with Munchak, and Pouncey coming back. If we can sustain a strong running game for Ben, our offense will be one of the league's better ones.

I also like the under on SF. Basically, I think that division is Murderer's Row. I think STL is bound to improve, ARZ has talent and is very confident too. And since I don't see SEA taking their foot off the gas, I think SF is going to suffer.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

There will be many interesting things to watch in TC that can help make or break title hopes. As much as the team hates it, this would be one year that I would love to see the Steelers on Hard Knocks. Some things that I think can see the Steelers take leaps forwards:

1) The Munchak effect, combined with the return of Pouncey. He might be the best in the business, and this has been a line for years that has underperformed. Can DD go over the top and become a PBer? Will two tackles step up in both the run and pass game, and finally, was Velasco just as good as Pouncey? Or does MP show us that he is the real deal, worthy of $8M per, and dominate?

2) When was the last time that this D had two explosive players at ILB? I'd have to say it goes back to Kirk and Brown. Lebeau will have a lot of options if Shazier can bring his game and step in day one.

3) The new guys at WR - we have Brown and...we'll see.
    Wheaton, the expected player who has waited in the wings for a year and ready to show his abilities after a late start last year followed by injury.
    Bryant, the tall, raw, speedster.
    Moore, the wily vet who seems to fit right in already.
    Archer, the little jitterbug whose skillset cannot be matched up.
    DHB, mmm.....nevermind.