Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers' Position Preview: Tight end

Steelers' Position Preview: Tight end

Position preview: Tight end

July, 5, 2014
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

Returning starter: Heath Miller. The trusty veteran missed just two games despite coming back from a torn ACL, and he caught 54 passes for 593 yards and a touchdown. Miller should be better in 2014 after participating in offseason practices as well as training camp.

New faces: Rob Blanchflower. The Steelers drafted the UMass product in the seventh round and he has a good chance of making the 53-man roster despite four tight ends returning from last season.

On the bubble: David Paulson. The 2012 seventh-round pick has caught just 13 passes for 153 yards in two seasons, and he is an average blocker at best. Paulson and Michael Palmer could battle for one roster spot, with special teams making the difference.

By the numbers: The Steelers averaged 115.3 rushing yards in the four games that Miller and Matt Spaeth played together last season, much better than their season rushing average of 86.4 yards.

Did you know: Miller is one of only six players in Steelers history to accumulate at least 5,000 career receiving yards. He is one of just five players with at least 40 touchdown catches and the only Steelers tight end to achieve that feat.

Quotable: “We’ve got new faces, but from what I’ve seen they’re all more than capable of getting the job done and it’s just a matter of who is going to be out there doing it. It doesn’t matter who it is, I think we’re going to have capable guys out there.” – Miller on the new addition to the Steelers’ passing game.

Outlook: Miller, entering his 10th NFL season, is still one of the best all-around tight ends in the NFL as well as a favorite target of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. The 6-foot-4, 256-pounder had been in the midst of his best season in 2012 before tearing his right ACL in the Steelers’ next-to-last game. The Steelers need Miller to re-establish himself as a similar threat this season with Spaeth more of a blocking tight end. Having Miller and Spaeth together for an entire season could be big considering the success the Steelers have had running the ball when both tight ends are in the game. Starting fullback Will Johnson will play more tight end this season, and he could provide some production as a pass catcher.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...view-tight-end

Paulson falls off blocks to quickly. He just does not have a lot of explosion at the poa. He also does not hit moving targets at all. A year ago at camp he worked on his blocking all the time and I recall Tomlin giving him a few "atta boys" for the effort working on the sled but if he does make it it's because he has good hands.

Pro Bowler
    Matt Spaeth will be huge in all things zone blocking....he and adams both at around 6-8 is what you look for in a OT/TE combo for a ZBS

My god he has terrible hands though

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Matt Spaeth will be huge in all things zone blocking....he and adams both at around 6-8 is what you look for in a OT/TE combo for a ZBS

My god he has terrible hands though
    Not sure where you get that from. I can only recall 1 time seeing him drop a pass.
    I would say he's a terrible route runner if anything.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Not sure where you get that from. I can only recall 1 time seeing him drop a pass.
    I would say he's a terrible route runner if anything.
    They dont throw to him enough to have more than a few memorable drops.....he was the same way in Chicago. He just is not a natural pass catcher. His blocking is excellent though, hope he (and the oline) stays healthy this year so we can see the run game hit its stride earlier on

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Goal-line 23 personnel with Blount as the ball carrier, Will Johnson as the blocking FB, and Heath, Spaeth, and Mike Adams as your 3 blocking TE's. Good luck stopping that.

Pro Bowler
    I think Bell will emerge as the better goal line and short yardage back personally.

Blount gets annoited as this masterful short yardage guy because of his size but that was never really his game. I guess that could change though, they say he looks bigger and faster than ever

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Four TD runs against Indy in the playoffs, after two TD runs in week 17 against Buffalo and another two TD runs in week 16 against Baltimore...dude finished strong.

Pro Bowler
    35, 73, 36, 7, 1, 2, 2, 2 yards in the TDs

I thought there were more long runs against indy but it was the 73 yarder and the three 2 yarders.

Either way I think bell runs lower and follow his blocks better, but as long as they are scoring it doesnt matter. Blount in Tampa needed perfect blocking to not get stood up at the line since he runs so high, but was he got a full head of steam he was a load to bring down. He may have very well corrected that, it will be interesting to see how he is used regardless

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Goal-line 23 personnel with Blount as the ball carrier, Will Johnson as the blocking FB, and Heath, Spaeth, and Mike Adams as your 3 blocking TE's. Good luck stopping that.
    Make McCullers the goal line fullback.