Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Shazier vid (with dope music, so crank it up)

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    you what patrick willis' most valuable atribute against the run is?

Answer: His speed

Shazier vs Willis physically is a very interesting debate

Willis
    6'1" 242 lbs
    Shazier
    6'1" 238 lbs

4 pounds lol

Patrick Willis vs Ryan Shazier
    4.52 vs 4.38 40 yard dash
    39 vs 42 vertical jumo
    119 vs 130 Broad jump
    7.23 VS 6.91 3 cone
    4.46 VS 4.21 Shuttle

Willis was not just a hammer against the run blowing up 330 pound guards....hes a nightmare to get a hand on and his football instincts are tremendous. When you watch shazier he is very willis-esque especially on plays where hes not involved in directly on the tackle...hes constantly in pursuit of the play

He is also a TFL monster for that same reason. I think he had 17 and 23 in his last 2 years, not sure i ever remember a LB having that many TFLs over 2 seasons that wasnt really used much as an edge rusher.
    Willis best attribute against the run isn't his speed. It's the fact that he... like Farrior had all the attributes (including instincts) to play the inside. In college, he could take on a block, shed and still make the tackle. He was a proven commodity in that regard. I'm not convinced that Shazier can do that... yet.

"4 pounds lol"

This is just ignorant. Stop reading the NFL.com combine stats page and do some further resource. He gained a lot of weight to get up to 238. He's never played at that weight. He's said that in several interviews. The NFL scouts told him he needed to put on that weight and to keep it on. Thankfully for us... he didn't lose any speed in the process. Trying to indicate that he's been playing at 238 is just plain inaccurate.

Administrator

User Info Menu

If you are a first round pick at any position you better be really good, no?
    Yes but certainly positions are valued higher than others. I think that is why he specifically said ILB.

Administrator

User Info Menu

At least as good as the best MLB in the league huh?

Guess he has to at LEAST win DROY like willis and kuechley
    Actually, you could make an argument that Willis isn't even the best ILB on the 49ers team. Ever hear of Bowman?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Willis best attribute against the run isn't his speed. It's the fact that he... like Farrior had all the attributes (including instincts) to play the inside. In college, he could take on a block, shed and still make the tackle. He was a proven commodity in that regard. I'm not convinced that Shazier can do that... yet.

"4 pounds lol"

This is just ignorant. Stop reading the NFL.com combine stats page and do some further resource. He gained a lot of weight to get up to 238. He's never played at that weight. He's said that in several interviews. The NFL scouts told him he needed to put on that weight and to keep it on. Thankfully for us... he didn't lose any speed in the process. Trying to indicate that he's been playing at 238 is just plain inaccurate.
    Early on it was most definitely Willis speed that made him an effective run defender, just like timmons he still had to grow into the position

"This is just ignorant. Stop reading the NFL.com blah blah blah"

Please, what a cop out...ive seen plenty of Shazier dont just assume what Ive seen, the draft is one of my biggest hobbies, if not the biggest. I know he hasnt played at that weight but he (and everyone) knew he needed to get bigger and he did...being underzied because you dont have to be big for your role in college and bulking up to go pro is extremely common. He has shown he can do it and he has shown hes still a freak of nature athlete with a little extra bulk on him. It will without a doubt be important for him to keep it on but I dont see him as Aaron Maybin who bulked up and lost eveything that made him good as a pass rusher, hes a different breed of athlete with incredible explosion behind him. My 4 pound comment is because youve never heard of Willis being called undersized because he plays very big despite him being slighlty undersized for the position like shazier

Actually, you could make an argument that Willis isn't even the best ILB on the 49ers team. Ever hear of Bowman?
    You could make that argument, then youd be wrong.

They compliment each other very well, but willis was king out there long before Bowman showed up

Plus bowmans knee injury was horrible

Administrator

User Info Menu

Early on it was most definitely Willis speed that made him an effective run defender, just like timmons he still had to grow into the position

"This is just ignorant. Stop reading the NFL.com blah blah blah"

Please, what a cop out...ive seen plenty of Shazier dont just assume what Ive seen, the draft is one of my biggest hobbies, if not the biggest. I know he hasnt played at that weight but he (and everyone) knew he needed to get bigger and he did...being underzied because you dont have to be big for your role in college and bulking up to go pro is extremely common. He has shown he can do it and he has shown hes still a freak of nature athlete with a little extra bulk on him. It will without a doubt be important for him to keep it on but I dont see him as Aaron Maybin who bulked up and lost eveything that made him good as a pass rusher, hes a different breed of athlete with incredible explosion behind him. My 4 pound comment is because youve never heard of Willis being called undersized because he plays very big despite him being slighlty undersized for the position like shazier

You could make that argument, then youd be wrong.

They compliment each other very well, but willis was king out there long before Bowman showed up

Plus bowmans knee injury was horrible

Just because Willis was king out there before Bowman doesn't mean that he's still king. The king might have been overthrown.

I don't understand what Bowmans knee injury has to do with anything. That takes nothing away from his success prior to that injury.

Speaking of Bowman.... how can a linebacker that is only 6'0 and runs in the 4.70s be as good as what he is? Hmmmm? So much for all those 40 times.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Willis is still better than bowman and its really not all that close...not a single person on the 49ers staff would believe otherwise

6-0 4.7 is plenty big/fast enough, 40 time is one thing but bowman is explosive and was known as a fast player at penn state. Hes an excellent tackler and has good speed to him.

What does he do better than willis? The answer is nothing but go ahead and enlighten all of us

Administrator

User Info Menu

Willis is still better than bowman and its really not all that close...not a single person on the 49ers staff would believe otherwise

6-0 4.7 is plenty big/fast enough, 40 time is one thing but bowman is explosive and was known as a fast player at penn state. Hes an excellent tackler and has good speed to him.

What does he do better than willis? The answer is nothing but go ahead and enlighten all of us
    4.7 is fast enough... Well, I guess Jarvis Jones is plenty fast enough then contrary to popular belief on this board.

Also, I didn't know we had someone on this board that had insider knowledge into the 49ers staff. Interesting.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Matt Millen (ya, I know) and Bucky Brooks both believe Bowman is better. They worked in a FO unlike yourself. Here is a SF newspaper with some quotes about this:

[URL]http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Bowman-May-be-Better-Than-Willis-212961371.html[/URL]

You might have heard of this thing called 'Google'. There is a lot out there:

[URL]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Bowman+vs+Willis[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

4.7 is fast enough... Well, I guess Jarvis Jones is plenty fast enough then contrary to popular belief on this board.

Also, I didn't know we had someone on this board that had insider knowledge into the 49ers staff. Interesting.
    Funny how you avoided the question.

And yes, Jarvis jones is fast enough too

I compared the measurables and production of Shazier and Willis because at this point the only thing we can compare about them is their college production and how they tested during the draft process. The whole point of my argument is 15 was not too high for a player like Shazier. Someone was going to take him soon after (probably the cowboys)...he was a dark horse all along to go in the top 15, similar to how the seahawks jumped NYJ to snap Bruce Irvin despite no one really regarding him that high

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Matt Millen (ya, I know) and Bucky Brooks both believe Bowman is better. They worked in a FO unlike yourself. Here is a SF newpaper with some quotes about this:

[url]http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Bowman-May-be-Better-Than-Willis-212961371.html[/url]

You might have heard of this thing called 'Google'. There is a lot out there:

[url]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Bowman+vs+Willis[/url]
    Coming from the guy that told me to "stop reading NFL.com" to form my draft opinions, the best thing you could offer was Matt Millen and Bucky brooks opinions lol