Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 68

Thread: Shazier vid (with dope music, so crank it up)

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Every time I watch Shazier, I think he looks like a S instead of a LB. Wonder if the Steelers will ask him to bulk up and I wonder how that will impact his speed?
    i'm hoping they'll try to Urlacher him... keep fatties in front of him and let him cause chaos
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    Team Needs, 2015 Draft (In order of need): CB, NT, OLB, FS, DE

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Great in open spaces and has ability to AVOID blocks with speed and agility.
    My only concern is will he be able to shed BIG blockers.
    nail, meet hammer. To me, this is the ONLY concern. If the play is run AT him, can he stack and shed. NFL plays are run with the precision of if the defender runs around, he WON'T make a play.

    If I'm the opposing team, i run right directly AT him. Let's hope McClendon requires a double team this year - might help free someone near the LOS to make plays run at him - I suspect we'll see a bunch early on.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    Team Needs, 2015 Draft (In order of need): CB, NT, OLB, FS, DE

  3. #23
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,620
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    nail, meet hammer. To me, this is the ONLY concern. If the play is run AT him, can he stack and shed. NFL plays are run with the precision of if the defender runs around, he WON'T make a play.

    If I'm the opposing team, i run right directly AT him. Let's hope McClendon requires a double team this year - might help free someone near the LOS to make plays run at him - I suspect we'll see a bunch early on.

    Well said... Clearly, Shazier is a "run and hit" (Tomlinism) LB. The video reminds me a bit of Polamalu.... My concern is the same as others... how often does a 3-4 ILB get the ability to do that without someone laying a hand on him in the process? No matter what, he will need to stack and shed. He can't simply just run around blocks or play a freelancing type role. Like you said, teams will attack him by running straight at him.... not by running sweeps which is where he can utilize his "run and hit" attributes.

    On a side note, we REALLY need better play at the NT position to keep guards off of him as much as possible.

  4. #24
    Much of this nervous bs applies to ANY inside LB. Lol

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    His speed is very impressive.. but his speed won't do much good if 330lb guards pile drive him into the turf.
    Happened with Lloyd too.......he was "not too shabby" don't ya think?

  6. #26
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,833
    Hes good in traffic though, guys like Ernie Simms and Alec Ogletree are very straight line fast but when you get a hand on them they are taken out of the play. He is

    1) Very hard to get a hand on
    2) not useless if you do, able to slip out/around blocks
    3) Has a knack for weaving through traffic

    It was said that the steelers coveted Mychal Kendricks out of cal a few years back....hes very fast and good in traffic, but shaziers speed is superior and from what ive seen so is his ability to diagnose a play and move around even when theres a bunch of bodies around.

  7. #27
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Happened with Lloyd too.......he was "not too shabby" don't ya think?
    He was good.... but you are old enough to remember that Lloyd was an OLB right?

  8. #28
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolie Man View Post
    Much of this nervous bs applies to ANY inside LB. Lol
    I disagree.... I never had a concern about Patrick Willis' ability to shed blocks on the inside. I wouldn't have as much concern with CJ Mosley's ability to shed blocks on the inside. I had different worries about Mosley but that wasn't one of them. Each LB is different. I am going to use the "show me" approach with Shazier and his ability to shed blocks on the inside. I know he'll be fine playing in space...

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    He was good.... but you are old enough to remember that Lloyd was an OLB right?
    Any LB can get buried by a 330 lb lineman on a running play...

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Any LB can get buried by a 330 lb lineman on a running play...
    Exactly........!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •